Opinion on proper etiquette using another mans bat?

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
What is proper etiquette when using a teammates bat?

1) Why do some guys show up with no bat? I know a few good ball players that spend thousands on bowling and golf but will not buy a bat?! Tell dude go buy a bat? Hey you can use mine? Other?

2) The guy who swings his bat, and then puts the bat back in his bag.... DB? Thats his gamer get your own bat? or OTHER?

3) You swing another players bat.. Bat blows up... You bought a paper weight? Its part of the game? Throw $50 on it? or Other?

4) Guy says hey can i take ur bat to "fill in blank" You say no sorry? Yes.. but? other?

5) Dude says use this bat.. says its hot... wink wink... Use it? Dont use it?

6) BP? use only your bats? use only bats dudes are breaking in? other?

Thanks in advance for any good info received.... those that will go the extra mile to be a ass.. hope your games get rained out!

1) Tell him to buy a bat
2) Thats his gamer, chances are he spent good money on it. If he doesn't want people swinging it, that is his choice.
3) Throw some cash his way as long as the bat is legit
4) Nope, sorry
5) Game, no...HR Derby, swing away
6) I mix between my own and a couple other teammates that are trying to get theirs broken in.

Just my thoughts on it...

wink

Winkleton
1) I have a bunch of bats so I don't mind letting peeps use them. There are a couple that are for me only.
2) My choice. I have 1 or 2 I don't want to be team bats.
3) If I break it, I would offer up some cash or replace bat. If someone else breaks mine, o'well I let them use it.
4) ehhh If I know them well enough and I am not gonna use it, I'll let them take it.
5) Not using it. I have been offered this many times, this is how I know an UMP uses a cut bat in one league I play.....
6) Mostly my own, but if someone has one to break in, i'll swing it.

hatemail

Starting Player
i dont mind guys swinging my bats but imo its an assumed courtesy to not throw my crap around....if they do they will no longer be welcomed to use my bats...however i do have a few that are just for me....scn2 og w/ a gazillion hits and close to going anytime and a flex that , well, i just dont want anyone but me to swing...if a buddy breaks one of my bats i dont expect them to pay for it but i do expect a courtesy "want me to kick you down?" remark of somesort...but in the end bats are meant to be used and they break....thats how it goes...

xethicx

Addicted to Softballfans
1) I run a team, I have 6 of my own personal bats and then 10+ for team use, they can use em as much as they want and they all know my bats are off limits. Some people dont take softball that serious and they know people will lend them bats, if you want the person to buy a bat, tell them to buy a bat.

2) It's his gamer, don't mess with a man's game bat. Not at all a DB move, his bat, his coin, his rules.

3) You swung it, you broke it, you pay for it. Unless he says otherwise. I had a guy break my EVOax and I knew it was about to go, he offered to buy me a new one, I said, nah, just toss me $50 or something.

4) No. If someone wants a bat to take wherever, go buy one. I used to have a couple players that thought the team bats were bought with team money and they should be available for use outside of the team games. I explained they were bought from my dime and even if they werent, theyre still not getting used outside of team games/BP

5) I'd ask a grown ass man why he's winking at another grown ass man and then not use his bat.

6) If a guy says to me "hey man swing this bat Im trying to break it in" I will say sure but I never just grab someone else's bat and start hitting balls.

Ill add another one... if you are on a team and a guy offers team bats for you to use, dont complain about the bats he's offering and also dont complain if one day you show up and the bat you like using is gone because he sold/traded it. My old team used to ***** and complain and say things like "why do you always buy 27oz" or "man I hate miken bats" or "you sold that one? why? I loved it".

Bottom line is, buy your own bat(s) or stfu and use whats offered to you.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
great insight.. I had a easton bat crack same day I bought it... I called Easton .... Told them I want a new bat, and still have my 2 replacements .. They said ok... Otherwise I would have kept bat until it blew up.... A teammate loved the bat from BP.. A player that mashes but golf is his game therefore will not buy a bat... He kinda busted me up.. Saying.. Why you send it in... I wanted to swing it this week... Was so close to saying... Brother go buy one! Not my style!

nfarmboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone is welcome to use my bats. Bats break, **** happens. I, however, will not let anyone take one of my bats to a tournament. If they ask to use it for their league night game then cool.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
I let everyone on my team swing my bats....

Reason being, some guys either don't have bats, or swing junk bats...I think we sometimes forget that us SBF members a) play alot more than other teammates and b) have better equipment... There are way more guys that play softball to 'just play' than actually care about buying/using good equipment...and there are guys like that all over the fields....

If you are playing with me I have no problem letting you swing mine if it will improve your hitting and help the team win..

But no, you can't take it home/to another tournament with you.

-G

Last edited:

DanGer1285

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in three leagues during the week. One is with the womanfriend, she and the rest of the team are free to use anything I bring but many of them have their own bats. One is my men's league, where almost everyone has a dozen bats of their own (seriously, the ratio of bats on the fence to players is like 5:1). Last one is a 3 pitch, co-ed league. Had our first game in that one last week, I brought out my bats and said they were fair game to use. Bozo #1 opts to strike out and then hit my Stadium2 into the ground, endcap first. That team is no longer welcome to use my bats.

His rationale, "Dan, relax. I do that to my buddy's $400 bat all the time and he doesn't care." **** you.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
As long as my bats are not being abused feel free to swing them, that's what they were made for. Rule of thumb should be to at least bring one bat out of common courtesy

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
1) I run a team, I have 6 of my own personal bats and then 10+ for team use, they can use em as much as they want and they all know my bats are off limits. Some people dont take softball that serious and they know people will lend them bats, if you want the person to buy a bat, tell them to buy a bat.

2) It's his gamer, don't mess with a man's game bat. Not at all a DB move, his bat, his coin, his rules.

3) You swung it, you broke it, you pay for it. Unless he says otherwise. I had a guy break my EVOax and I knew it was about to go, he offered to buy me a new one, I said, nah, just toss me $50 or something.

4) No. If someone wants a bat to take wherever, go buy one. I used to have a couple players that thought the team bats were bought with team money and they should be available for use outside of the team games. I explained they were bought from my dime and even if they werent, theyre still not getting used outside of team games/BP

5) I'd ask a grown ass man why he's winking at another grown ass man and then not use his bat.

6) If a guy says to me "hey man swing this bat Im trying to break it in" I will say sure but I never just grab someone else's bat and start hitting balls.

Ill add another one... if you are on a team and a guy offers team bats for you to use, dont complain about the bats he's offering and also dont complain if one day you show up and the bat you like using is gone because he sold/traded it. My old team used to ***** and complain and say things like "why do you always buy 27oz" or "man I hate miken bats" or "you sold that one? why? I loved it".

Bottom line is, buy your own bat(s) or stfu and use whats offered to you.

I have a teammate like this. He always uses my bats and complains whenever I sell the bat he likes to use. He's complained twice so far this year and we've only had 2 weeks of games.

alberts35

Addicted to Softballfans
This above situation is so ridiculous....guys like that must feel like they are entitled to something. A dude's bats are HIS bats. He could just decide to leave it at home if he wants, regardless if a teammate is batting .800 with it. Teammate likes the bat so much, he should offer up some $ to make it his own. I always thought, if you see a bat on the fence you wanna use and it isn't one you bought, seek out the bat owner and ask in person if you can use it for that game. Never heard of guys borrowing a teammate's bat to go use on a diff team in a tourney or whatever

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
This above situation is so ridiculous....guys like that must feel like they are entitled to something. A dude's bats are HIS bats. He could just decide to leave it at home if he wants, regardless if a teammate is batting .800 with it. Teammate likes the bat so much, he should offer up some $ to make it his own. I always thought, if you see a bat on the fence you wanna use and it isn't one you bought, seek out the bat owner and ask in person if you can use it for that game. Never heard of guys borrowing a teammate's bat to go use on a diff team in a tourney or whatever

It is ridiculous. He hits a HR on a 275' field with a bat and then thinks I'm not going to sell it even if I don't like the bat.

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
1) Why do some guys show up with no bat? I know a few good ball players that spend thousands on bowling and golf but will not buy a bat?! Tell dude go buy a bat? Hey you can use mine? Other?

Depends on who it is.... if I don't know you, you're welcome to swing what I hand you, don't go grabbing my bats unless I say you can swing it.

2) The guy who swings his bat, and then puts the bat back in his bag.... DB? Thats his gamer get your own bat? or OTHER?

Nope.... their his/mine, he/I paid for them, if I choose not to let you swing it, sorry.

3) You swing another players bat.. Bat blows up... You bought a paper weight? Its part of the game? Throw $50 on it? or Other?

If I had permission to swing it and it breaks I'm not giving you anything. Same goes for me, if I let you swing it and it busts, that's on me.

4) Guy says hey can i take ur bat to "fill in blank" You say no sorry? Yes.. but? other?

Depends, I've let my close friends take my bats to use, if it's some random person or someone with no bats, not gonna happen

that's up to you.... just know you're responsible for the outcome

I swing my bats and anything else other people tell me to swing or that I ask permission to swing. Just cause it's laying near the plate doesn't mean it's a community bat.

alberts35

Addicted to Softballfans
It is ridiculous. He hits a HR on a 275' field with a bat and then thinks I'm not going to sell it even if I don't like the bat.

Should have offered to him first....maybe get more for it, since in his mind it was "proven".

Unless its one of those cheap bastards who doesn't spend a dime to play but wants to use the crap out of everyone else's stuff

bigdog2003

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks in advance for any good info received.... those that will go the extra mile to be a ass.. hope your games get rained out!

1. Most of the guys on my league team don't own bats, so thats why I have the thread up for cheap asa stamped bats. I keep some bats for them to use because last year they went out and got cyclones and hammers. There are other teams in the league that always ask to borrow my bats, I tell them they are all for sale for the right price. I sold 1 to another team tonight after our practice for double what I paid on here because they don't know where to get bats that aren't new or from PIAS.

2. I put my gamer up after every AB. Guys know not to touch it.

3. Haven't had this happen yet, but all my league guys have been told that it will cost them if a bat blows up while they are using it unless I know its about to blow.

4. I won't even let guys carry my bats to my car. I can't fit them all in my bag, I need a roller that holds 10 if anybody wants to unload one, so I carry some. Not that I don't trust the guys, I just don't trust them that much.

5. The first year I played ball, guy on my team had a Freak98 that I used the first game. After the game I offered to buy it, or where I could find 1, he told me it was a painted U2. From that point on I won't swing any bat somebody says is Hot.

6. I only use my bats, or my brothers bats. I have enough bats that need to be broken in that I don't need to swing other peoples. Plus, the only other bat anybody has is a white steel, and I don't like it. I hit it a few times last year and it just isnt for me.

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
Should have offered to him first....maybe get more for it, since in his mind it was "proven".

Unless its one of those cheap bastards who doesn't spend a dime to play but wants to use the crap out of everyone else's stuff

I have offered to sell him bats before, but he's never actually bought them from me

alberts35

Addicted to Softballfans
Makes ya wonder....guy plays league 3 nights a week, asks to use the top bat from each of his league teams for the upcoming weekend, and shows up to tourney with a bunch of nice bats...none of which are his

Gerdass

Addicted to Softballfans
Most if the guys I regularly play with have at least 1 or 2 of their own bats. Everyone is respectful and everyone puts their bats on the fence for anyone.

If I broke someone eldest bat I would offer a little cash but most of the guys I play with wouldn't take.

Along with that, if a guy breaks my bat that I let home use while hitting. I would not expect ir take anything from him. But if he's a dumbass and breaks it on the ground or throws it against the fence I would expect a enough ti buy a brand new bat.

With tourneys I would let people I know take it. But on the same hand I don't think its a D-Bag move to say no either. Your bat, your money.

hatemail

Starting Player
I play in three leagues during the week. One is with the womanfriend, she and the rest of the team are free to use anything I bring but many of them have their own bats. One is my men's league, where almost everyone has a dozen bats of their own (seriously, the ratio of bats on the fence to players is like 5:1). Last one is a 3 pitch, co-ed league. Had our first game in that one last week, I brought out my bats and said they were fair game to use. Bozo #1 opts to strike out and then hit my Stadium2 into the ground, endcap first. That team is no longer welcome to use my bats.

His rationale, "Dan, relax. I do that to my buddy's $400 bat all the time and he doesn't care." **** you.

i find his car and piss on the hood....when he looks at me funny id say.."relax bro, i do this my buddys mercedes all the time and he doesnt care...."

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
I boosted my post count to 3K in the first 6 months answering and asking the same type of questions. Then I found the Lounge and post count became useless...

I really enjoy this site, but for every cool cat.... You have to deal with a DB. Dudes thinking they are Jim Rome... I thank all the people that shared great info... Yes I'm a noob. That's obvious ... Sorry next time I'll PM the great milenko for permission to post!

EvilE

Daddy 2011!!!!

1.) I let my teammates use my bats, but encourage them to buy one
2.) I say "why can noone else use ur bats ?" I let em use mine. But it's ultimately his choice.
3.) I would ask him what he wants to do. If he wants cash I will give him some. (but would never happen, I use my own damn bats)
4.) Ive let guys borrow my bats, but I dont like it one bit. I dont do it anymore. If Im not there neither are my bats.
5. Use it.
6.) Both? I like to use mine but will use others if they wish to break in further.

Dysfunctional

Don't be hatin'

Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?

Definitely not a DB. If you aren't sharing bat$ why should I?

I would offer some $ to help replace, but that's just how I am with anything

Ha ha, yeah no.

Not touching it

I usually swing my own at BP. If a teammate or someone has something I'm interested in trying, I'll ask first. I never swing another's bat without asking. It's just how I am and I expect the same of my equip.

sungus77

Addicted to Softballfans

to be honest, i dont think i should pay anything for a bat that was close to its last legs, and was a few hits away from cracking/breaking. if i had constantly used it over the course of a season or longer and it breaks, fine, reimbursement in order. but i wouldnt ask someone to pay when they take one or even a few swings and it cracks. this actually happened to me with a voltage. guy hits 2 HRs with it and it cracks. he offers to pay for half of it, but i declined.