Opinions.........

MaverickAH

The higher powers that be decided it would be a great, very productive:rolleyes: day to open, you know with all our vendors, insurance companies, and just about everyone else with sense........closed!!!

Maverick, don't be surprised if I bombard you with mock ups today;).

Knock yourself out! :D Just be aware of a couple of things as they pertain to me:
  1. I have a mild aversion to the color red. Subconsciously, I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons why I've never gamed a Rawlings in my life. Red patches (shudder...……:eek::eek::eek:). I don't even like red in my uniforms although sometimes it's been unavoidable. Don't ask me to explain it...…..
  2. Visually, I prefer more of a monotone look. It's not an absolute as I do have a 2-tone gloves as a couple of my gamers & have a few in my collection. Now that I think about it, the 2-tones get almost no game time. Hmmm...….

On 12.5" sized gloves we're pretty limited on web options.......or at least webs I like:D. Wish Rawlings offered a single post / double bar web with a base like on my old XLO.

Trust me..... I was a little bummed out at the paucity of web selections on 12.5" gloves, especially the PROJD8. As I've discussed with you before, I'm getting kinda tired of the glut of H Webs being offered. When did Rawlings stop offering the Hinged Post Web (RV23) on their glove builder. I know that it was there at one time! I'd guess that it's to protect DM.

My current main gamer"
cyjpUGG.jpg

I worked with Vinci to have them create this for me. It's a 12.5" in black Optimus leather. I was really hoping that they'd take my idea & run with it. The did do one more "Exclusive" in Limited leather that I also own. One of a kind...…..

My 2-toned gamer:

Limited Series RV1225 - 12.25" My "exclusive" is the same colors (Black web though) except it's 12.5" & has a Hinged Post Web (new).

Glad you're making good use of your time on a slow day!!!! ;):p

Last edited:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
See, I didn’t know the hinged single post (RV23) web was ever offered on the builder! Instead of the 5 or 6 H-web gloves at the house, there’d probably be just one! I love that RV web, pretty sure I’ve made that well known here!

Not a fan of Red either, the ONLY piece of Red clothing I own is a Red Gaston Christian cap I wear to coach in, everything else is either black or dark gray. BUT.........for some reason I love those Red traditional Rawlings patches!! Those will always be my patch of choice on any new customs I order.

Last edited:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Okay, backed down to a 12.25" NP7 with laced single post, hey it looks somewhat like a RV web? Okay probably not:rolleyes:. I can promise you I'll never order a blue, red, green, or yellow glove, but I'd definitely use this glove!download (7).png

MaverickAH

Yeah, they did offer it at one time. The trick was that they only offered it on 12" gloves so that they didn't undercut the RV23 on DM. it's gone now. I do have one glove with red laces that I'm strongly considering gaming. It's a 12.5" Vinci trapeze that's the softball version of a PRO12TC. The damn thing is so sweet that I'm willing to break 2 taboo's for the first time:
  1. Red on my glove (outside of patches).
  2. Using a trapeze.

BTW...…. I decided to go with the PROS3029-6BR. The bruciato & leather patches were too much to resist!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Yeah, they did offer it at one time. The trick was that they only offered it on 12" gloves so that they didn't undercut the RV23 on DM. it's gone now. I do have one glove with red laces that I'm strongly considering gaming. It's a 12.5" Vinci trapeze that's the softball version of a PRO12TC. The damn thing is so sweet that I'm willing to break 2 taboo's for the first time:
  2. Using a trapeze.

BTW...…. I decided to go with the PROS3029-6BR. The bruciato & leather patches were too much to resist!

WHAT??? I was just getting started! Honestly.......I was running out of time, and ideas. I have never gamed a trap glove in my life, ever! And as I've said here before I would have never bought or owned one either, the only reason I bought my 12TC was because it was the very last RHT Horween glove Morton's had. The Horween gloves on my radar at that time were a Pro1000 and a RV23, definitely NOT a 12TC! Having said that, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed that little 12" trap glove! And it by far has the best pocket of any Rawlings I own!

Congratulations on the Bruciato Maverick, can't wait to see it!

MaverickAH

WHAT??? I was just getting started! Honestly.......I was running out of time, and ideas. I have never gamed a trap glove in my life, ever! And as I've said here before I would have never bought or owned one either, the only reason I bought my 12TC was because it was the very last RHT Horween glove Morton's had. The Horween gloves on my radar at that time were a Pro1000 and a RV23, definitely NOT a 12TC! Having said that, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed that little 12" trap glove! And it by far has the best pocket of any Rawlings I own!

Congratulations on the Bruciato Maverick, can't wait to see it!

I can't wait either! I'm especially excited since I found out yesterday that the Leather Patch Series is a "Rawlings.com exclusive" & won't be sold anywhere else!

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I can't wait either! I'm especially excited since I found out yesterday that the Leather Patch Series is a "Rawlings.com exclusive" & won't be sold anywhere else!
What is funny is that Chad has been asking for leather patches on SBF exclusives for a few years now (and has been repeatedly told no). I’m glad they went split welting on these too (however I’m willing to bet that they would have sold much more had they gone with a regular 200 instead of the wingtip).

MaverickAH

What is funny is that Chad has been asking for leather patches on SBF exclusives for a few years now (and has been repeatedly told no). I’m glad they went split welting on these too (however I’m willing to bet that they would have sold much more had they gone with a regular 200 instead of the wingtip).

I do know, through my correspondence with both Chad & Rawlings, is that:
  1. SBF has zero access to these gloves at this time. Who knows it that will change in the future?
  2. Rawlings has an internal group that controls their website's on-line sales. These gloves appear as "Quarantined" to both outside vendors & to others internally at Rawlings.
I couldn't tell you whether they're selling well or not. If Rawlings is holding them exclusively for sale on their website, to me that spells, "limited production". I've been trying to shake my memory to see if I can recall a time when Pro Preferred glove's were ever produced with split welting.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I do know, through my correspondence with both Chad & Rawlings, is that:
  1. SBF has zero access to these gloves at this time. Who knows it that will change in the future?
  2. Rawlings has an internal group that controls their website's on-line sales. These gloves appear as "Quarantined" to both outside vendors & to others internally at Rawlings.
I couldn't tell you whether they're selling well or not. If Rawlings is holding them exclusively for sale on their website, to me that spells, "limited production". I've been trying to shake my memory to see if I can recall a time when Pro Preferred glove's were ever produced with split welting.
Correct. Rawlings only exclusive (no other vendors). Split welting has been available on custom PP's for a couple years now (and I have PP's even before then that has split welting). No idea on sales stats but I do know that the overwhelming majority of consumers are affected by the PP pricepoint over the HOH. Had these leather patches been HOH, they would have sold much faster (and at a greater quantity). And Rawlings has no concept of "limited quantities" based on the releases that they slapped that designation with (the PL is a perfect example). There could be well over 200 of each (maybe 360 or more).

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm so glad this thread turned away from brightly colored gloves. In the last six months I relaced a 2015 BH34 (in that brick red, I think) and a 2012 royal blue 303. Neither of them held up. The red especially was a disaster. It was really dirty, but any cleaning pulled out more red than dirt. The blue was not quite as bad, but almost. I have heard that the navy turns to silver/grey within a couple of years too. Unless it is going to live on a shelf, just stay away from red and blue leathers (unless you don't care how it looks in a year or two).

And this from a guy who used to dream of getting a navy glove with tan laces. Just not worth it.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
  2. Using a trapeze.

BTW...…. I decided to go with the PROS3029-6BR. The bruciato & leather patches were too much to resist

[GALLERY=media, 30780]PJV125s by smarkley3 posted Jun 28, 2018 at 6:39 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 30779]Tank by smarkley3 posted Jun 28, 2018 at 6:38 PM[/GALLERY]

Is this the "red" glove you speak of Mav?

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Not that anyone needs more color opinions but incase someone in the future is looking for reference -I ordered a creme, navy, and red 1b mitt a couple seasons ago. Looked just like the expos. It was to see if things had gotten better since the AP5 turned pink.

After 1 season of 30 games we parted ways. The red had already pinkend and the blue was almost turning white. Same idea as the red, but pink happens to be a color lol. Also it was odd how EVERY little scratch and ding showed up on that blue.

I was left wondering why we see so little tan and black gloves now days if thats what happens to color upon use. Pretty ugly. Then again, maybe its the thing now days to use for a season and move on. Good way to sell more gloves lol fwiw

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
  2. Using a trapeze.

Really? What a time to be alive. I dont remember that ever being an option, but it must have been a long time ago. Im suprosed we dont see more used customs in the wild w that web. Years ago i had to have vinci make me a rv web for a custom 200. Its cool, just didnt hold up nearly was well as the rawlings rv webs. Much thinner - along the lines of the new web developed for the SD2 and elongated for the sbf ex. Cool to know

MaverickAH

Interesting...…. What leather did they use to make it & didn't hold up well in what way?

I have 2 Vinci's with that web. One is a custom Optimus that they were kind enough to let me design & the other is an "exclusive" Limited Series glove based on my design that I snatched up when they offered it on their website.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
This is the RV23 your speaking of. I have this NIW Horween one, LOL> I think Vinci did this in the old Custom Pro line and those gloves were tanks, top notch 6 oz steerhide or kip depending on when it was made. I dont this a stock Limited Kip was ever made, Pete Vinci would know......

50946039_2323626200982502_7116142918296928256_n.jpg

MaverickAH

No, Vinci never used this web on their Custom Pro line. They still carry it on the MEO24 which is a 12" glove in their Limited Series. One of my biggest regrets is that I never picked on up when they were doing them in black & tan.

Beautiful glove:

Mine are both 12.5" & both are "One of a kind".

BGPirates1

Addicted to Softballfans
No idea on sales stats but I do know that the overwhelming majority of consumers are affected by the PP pricepoint over the HOH. Had these leather patches been HOH, they would have sold much faster (and at a greater quantity). And Rawlings has no concept of "limited quantities" based on the releases that they slapped that designation with (the PL is).
This x 1000!!!

MaverickAH

Correct. Rawlings only exclusive (no other vendors). Split welting has been available on custom PP's for a couple years now (and I have PP's even before then that has split welting). No idea on sales stats but I do know that the overwhelming majority of consumers are affected by the PP price point over the HOH. Had these leather patches been HOH, they would have sold much faster (and at a greater quantity). And Rawlings has no concept of "limited quantities" based on the releases that they slapped that designation with (the PL is a perfect example). There could be well over 200 of each (maybe 360 or more).

While I don't disagree with your overall assessment of there being more interest at a HOH price point over a PP price point for leather patches, your viewpoint is coming from that of a consumer & not a manufacturer.

Rawlings has a history of introducing visual innovations at a higher price point. I say "visual innovations" because usually, they are things that affect a glove's look & not its performance.
Hand Sewn Welting: Primo Series ($400) & the Gold Glove Series ($500)
Dual Core Technology: Primo Series ($400)
Opti Core Technology: Gold Glove Series ($500)

Any of it that has made its way down to HOH or lower has usually been met with disapproval. Only the hand sewn welting, as of late, has seemed to gain some interest (at least on this board). Just the mention of "Dual Core" on here, in respect to HOH gloves, is met with ridicule.

Rawlings, first & foremost, is a baseball glove company. That's their core business. The opinions offered here on this, a softball board, matter very little to them. Now are there, from time to time, some good ideas presented here? Sure, but in the grand scheme of things, they only relate to the desires of a percentage of a percent of those who buy a Rawlings glove. The Heart of the Hide Series is their signature glove line & the only adjustments they make on a grand scale to that line are directed towards the youth market for either the first time buyer or for those moving up from something lower in the line. That's why you have things like the HOH Color Sync gloves. Youth market..... It's to hook them & then transition them in to a more traditional glove.

The glove series that Rawlings has above the HOH, while still good gloves, are more for show than go. I used to spend a lot of time at the biggest seller of Rawlings gloves in NYC. My observation was the line above the HOH's were most often bought by those with high disposable income. Doctors, lawyers & wall street types. The ones that weren't truly into the sport & had more money than sense.

One other point to make. Probably the most important...….

That red Rawlings patch & logo is iconic. Most pro players use HOH. A monotone glove with leather patches is not going to be a good visual on television & other media outlets. It makes little sense for them to have a kid's favorite player wearing a glove that can't be easily identified as a Rawlings.

Jchap

While I don't disagree with your overall assessment of there being more interest at a HOH price point over a PP price point for leather patches, your viewpoint is coming from that of a consumer & not a manufacturer.

Rawlings has a history of introducing visual innovations at a higher price point. I say "visual innovations" because usually, they are things that affect a glove's look & not its performance.
Hand Sewn Welting: Primo Series ($400) & the Gold Glove Series ($500)
Dual Core Technology: Primo Series ($400)
Opti Core Technology: Gold Glove Series ($500)

Any of it that has made its way down to HOH or lower has usually been met with disapproval. Only the hand sewn welting, as of late, has seemed to gain some interest (at least on this board). Just the mention of "Dual Core" on here, in respect to HOH gloves, is met with ridicule.

Rawlings, first & foremost, is a baseball glove company. That's their core business. The opinions offered here on this, a softball board, matter very little to them. Now are there, from time to time, some good ideas presented here? Sure, but in the grand scheme of things, they only relate to the desires of a percentage of a percent of those who buy a Rawlings glove. The Heart of the Hide Series is their signature glove line & the only adjustments they make on a grand scale to that line are directed towards the youth market for either the first time buyer or for those moving up from something lower in the line. That's why you have things like the HOH Color Sync gloves. Youth market..... It's to hook them & then transition them in to a more traditional glove.

The glove series that Rawlings has above the HOH, while still good gloves, are more for show than go. I used to spend a lot of time at the biggest seller of Rawlings gloves in NYC. My observation was the line above the HOH's were most often bought by those with high disposable income. Doctors, lawyers & wall street types. The ones that weren't truly into the sport & had more money than sense.

One other point to make. Probably the most important...….

That red Rawlings patch & logo is iconic. Most pro players use HOH. A monotone glove with leather patches is not going to be a good visual on television & other media outlets. It makes little sense for them to have a kid's favorite player wearing a glove that can't be easily identified as a Rawlings.
So you think people who like Pro Preferreds are stupid and aren’t truly in the sport? Off the top of my head, Trout, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Adam Jones, Yelich, Zobrist, Lindor, Addison Russell, Jason Heyward, Adrian Gonzalez, Kiermeier, use Pro Preferreds.

MaverickAH

So you think people who like Pro Preferreds are stupid and aren’t truly in the sport? Off the top of my head, Trout, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, Adam Jones, Yelich, Zobrist, Lindor, Addison Russell, Jason Heyward, Adrian Gonzalez, Kiermeier, use Pro Preferreds.

And they pay how much for them???? :rolleyes:

If someone wants a high-end glove, works hard for their money & wants to maximize their investment in durability, longevity & value. Are you going to recommend they get a Pro Preferred over a Heart of the Hide? I think not!

I specifically said that they're not bad gloves at all. They vey well may be the best glove for a certain part of the population. Stick your hand in a Pro Preferred & the feel of that Pittards lining is wonderful. It may even fool you, along with the price, into thinking that it's better than a HOH. It's not..…. Of course, if I were getting my gloves for free every year, I might prefer it.

beeblebobble

Starting Player

If someone wants a high-end glove, works hard for their money & wants to maximize their investment in durability, longevity & value. Are you going to recommend they get a Pro Preferred over a Heart of the Hide? I think not!

I specifically said that they're not bad gloves at all. They vey well may be the best glove for a certain part of the population. Stick your hand in a Pro Preferred & the feel of that Pittards lining is wonderful. It may even fool you, along with the price, into thinking that it's better than a HOH. It's not..…. Of course, if I were getting my gloves for free every year, I might prefer it.
I haven't seen Japanese tanned leather look and wear any better than PP kip with similar use. Horween HoH yes of course, But JTan is not a more durable leather than Kip they seem to perform about the same. Would I recommend a PP over HoH if the person liked pittards, or leather color options over the HoH if they didn't mind spending the money. Absolutely, is a HoH a better "value" yeah I agree with you. But I'll never be convinced that J-tan HoH is going to offer a more durable longer lasting glove. J-tan gloves look just as trashed as kip with similar use.

Jchap

So you would prefer a worse glove, if you were getting it for free? I don’t understand your logic.

Gators21

Manager
I've had a couple older well-used and well-worn Pro Preferreds in my collection, including one that Rous had brought back to life from the dead. I couldn't imagine that any HOH, except for a Horween, at the same stage of life and use could've been in any better shape structure-wise. Disclaimer: Currently all my Rawlings are HOHs!

OsDad

So you would prefer a worse glove, if you were getting it for free? I don’t understand your logic.

I assume what he's saying is that it's a worse glove, per dollar spent, for the people in the middle of the bell curve. If you're down at the end of the curve where you're getting a new one every year for free, you've now cut out the aspects that make it a "worse" glove (price point and longevity/durability).