Our League Went 52/300 and Players are Not Happy

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
We switched to 52's this year. Hit our hr limit which is 7. It's not the arrow it's the Indian.

DanGer1285

Addicted to Softballfans
We switched to 52/275s last year and our big hitters still put them out regularly. Same guys that hit them out before can hit them out now.

Although it's funny when someone throws a harder ball in BP and you take it for a ride and think "wow, wtf?" then you go get it and realize it wasn't the same as the Hot Dots we play with normally.

jack

Addicted to Softballfans
We play league on a 10' tall 305' fence and use up our 6 hr's per game real quick...Not the bat dude!

EVILHOMER360

Baaaat Fleeeeep!
IMO about the newer balls. There's no cheap 300.5-301 foot homeruns anymore. A .44 ball you can miss-hhit it over the fence, with the newer balls if you miss-hhit it it's usually gonna be a weak IF pop or a shallow fly out. Definitely going to make you a better hitter, because you're gonna have to learn how to square a ball up more often to get optimum results.

Rocketfire24

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are not a hr hitter...but you can get 3 to 5 hrs every league season hitting the 44/375...you may have trouble or not be able to hit the 52.300 out. I would hit an occassional mi**** hr out with the old balls...but the new ball it is more difficult to do that. You have to CUT the new balls, and I feel they are affected by warm weather as well. (all of my experience is with Trump Stotes)

The new ball does help to seperate the true mashers from the pretenders.

Trophy Hunter15

Addicted to Softballfans
We've been hitting both balls this year & honestly guys that hit HRs with the 44/375 still hit them with 52/300. One thing I have noticed is that the 52's seem to be affected a lot more by windy conditions.Other than that I really like the Evils & Dudleys we've been hitting.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
So, will this be the last stop in the road for equipment changes in the name of safety? Me thinkee no. Just give it a few years. People will inevitably get hurt and/or killed, and people will come up with ways to try and beat the system. Then a new lower standard will be put into place.

52s produce a fraction of the force required to cause possible deadly head injuries.

ATL Rookie

Manager
My ONLY complaint with the 52/300's is fielding them in the IF. Those balls take all kinds of nasty, unpredictable hops.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys are being way too hard on this guy.

He said their league starts in 50-60 weather. I'd say this is pretty standard around the country. These guys start off in cool weather when 44/375s are rocks and they probably are rounding into form when it gets around 80 and they never realize just how much the temps effect their per game hr performance. If these guys didn't start until it was 80 out they probably wouldn't hit any homeruns for the first couple of weeks.

My leagues aren't changing until next year but I predict this exact same thing to be the case. The guys that have played tournies have already hit them and the rec league heros that think they're something they aren't don't know they hit balls well because of the cold.

Whether they want to admit it or not, that's probably why they don't play tournies. They play spring and fall, but come out and try out a tourney in the summer and hit cans of corn all day because it's hot.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
52s produce a fraction of the force required to cause possible deadly head injuries.

Agreed, but it's gonna happen. There are just some people out there one hit to the head or chest away from a fatality. Once those numbers rack up over the years, then what?

lx_2nv

Coach
We switched to these balls a couple years ago to allow the u-trip bats back in. I am by no means a power hitter - but hit a few HR's a season with them. I honestly need to change my swing so bad it's not funny. I have zero lower body movement.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed, but it's gonna happen. There are just some people out there one hit to the head or chest away from a fatality. Once those numbers rack up over the years, then what?

The associations and manus have been fighting this the whole way. It takes significant risk to even bring about this change. Theoretically, if you look at the fact that these balls lower the traumatic injury to a fraction of it's past amount, and the number of injuries was just barely enough to get THIS change enacted you're looking at a significant number of freakish injuries having to happen to have to change this again.

I won't be surprised if a new bat technology is invented to pass the current test and hit these like the Ultras, but I think that would just cause a new bat test. I think these balls are a good enough mix of safety and performance and durability.

kampy

Addicted to Softballfans
I played with them last year and couldn't tell the difference. Same thing so far this year. The true homerun hitters are still able to put it out. AS someone already stated it's the Indian not the arrow.

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans
Never saw a differance in distance with the .52/300 compared to the .44/375. I'm not a Hr hitter ball flew about the same..... seems to knuckle a little more but thats about it.

cyoung187

Coach
Our league has gone to 40/275s and the players here are all in a panic about them, its hilarious. Guys are all running around saying "Why do you even bring composite bats, those can't hit those balls" "I'm going to sell all my composites and buy walmart bats" These guys are dead serious too, and all the other morons at the park are buying into it because they aren't hitting balls out of the park anymore. Every week so far there has been more and more teams showing up with bruisers and hammers and leaving high end composites in the bag because they are "useless". After putting a couple balls over the fence in a game, a guy on the bleachers was telling his whole team that I was hitting them because I was using metal (it was a miken triad). It is sad and funny at the same time that all these guys are making so many excuses and are freaked out just because the ball has changed.

I'm not even going to chime in and tell them they are wrong. Maybe I should go buy some hammers and tell guys ill trade my new metal for their old composites, they would probably go for it.

sjury

The Old Man
We switched to 52's this year. Hit our hr limit which is 7. It's not the arrow it's the Indian.

Just to follow up on this, we did it in 4 innings.

As a follow up to the follow up... we did it with different bats, Z's, Eastons, Demars, and even Worth's, which are supposed to suck. That's why someone bought that new Mutant right Pretty? LOL

bird25

34/30 Club #25
As a follow up to the follow up... we did it with different bats, Z's, Eastons, Demars, and even Worth's, which are supposed to suck. That's why someone bought that new Mutant right Pretty? LOL

Our limit is 2 per team and then it's a single. I haven't seen a team hit a over the fence single yet.:eek:

Funny thing is that i have hit at least one out with my st100 in every game.:confused:

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans
Our league has gone to 40/275s and the players here are all in a panic about them, its hilarious. Guys are all running around saying "Why do you even bring composite bats, those can't hit those balls" "I'm going to sell all my composites and buy walmart bats" These guys are dead serious too, and all the other morons at the park are buying into it because they aren't hitting balls out of the park anymore. Every week so far there has been more and more teams showing up with bruisers and hammers and leaving high end composites in the bag because they are "useless". After putting a couple balls over the fence in a game, a guy on the bleachers was telling his whole team that I was hitting them because I was using metal (it was a miken triad). It is sad and funny at the same time that all these guys are making so many excuses and are freaked out just because the ball has changed.

I'm not even going to chime in and tell them they are wrong. Maybe I should go buy some hammers and tell guys ill trade my new metal for their old composites, they would probably go for it.

The 40/275 only suck during the summer when they get left in the storage shed in 90 degree weather all day lol. Below 70 they are just fine.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League

I took line drive off the eye last year with my safety glasses absorbing most of the blow and ended up with only a black eye but no other damage with the 52/275 ball, which is one reason we went with those balls this year in all divisions.

cyoung187

Coach
The 40/275 only suck during the summer when they get left in the storage shed in 90 degree weather all day lol. Below 70 they are just fine.

Well we are in AZ so we will have game temps of 90-110. I have no doubt the balls will suck. We have been hitting them in the 90s and they are pretty mushy.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't quit playing, but I'd do everything in my power to try and switch my league away from using those balls.

NDrobber_03

Addicted to Softballfans
For most people the only bad thing about the 52/300 balls is that they expose poor swing mechanics.

No more handle shots off the fence and league mashers are exposed.

We have been using the Demarini Stones here in FL and haven't seen that much of a decrease in overall performance or distance.

Jbird-21

Manager
Those balls fly bro ... Maybe u need a better bat and cut the ball in half. Suggestion new asa bat r made for those balls my flex and extendeds murder those balls also.

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans
40/275 really are very soft. past sunday, Pitching and had a same guy hit the same spot, 2 feet off my glove side again. ****ty fields, ball hit a divot about 5 feet infront of me and bounce higher then expected and took it off my head. Didnt even hurt just had a small not a few hours later and two days later is just a little sore to touch no more knot though.... If it was a 44.375 i probably wouldnt be typing this right now. I saw the ball the whole way, sometimes you just can't move fast enough, ordering a mask this weekend.