Overlap grip vs. conventional (again)

ABLXTRA

veteran
You are correct a conventional grip is more controllable while still providing great power . I went to it because of my surgery and it has worked for me . I just have to be aware of my grip and let the ball get deep and trust my hands .

Jerrshoe

I've been back and forth with this myself over the last 10 years or so. Never did a complete overlap, but often would switch between two finger, one finger top hand, and full traditional. I think what the overlap provides, is a clean release of the top hand after impact. Often with a full grip, my top hand hangs on longer than it should and I feel it slows my swing down if I don't time the release perfectly. I moved to an interlock of my pinky on top hand and index finger on bottom hand. Love it. Best of both worlds.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've been back and forth with this myself over the last 10 years or so. Never did a complete overlap, but often would switch between two finger, one finger top hand, and full traditional. I think what the overlap provides, is a clean release of the top hand after impact. Often with a full grip, my top hand hangs on longer than it should and I feel it slows my swing down if I don't time the release perfectly. I moved to an interlock of my pinky on top hand and index finger on bottom hand. Love it. Best of both worlds.

I used a full overlap grip for most of the last decade. Last year I used 2 finger overlap a lot. That grip was slightly better, but I still wasn't as pleased with the results as I wanted.

I agree that with a full grip your top hand can sometimes hold onto the bat too long. I also found that the top hand would try to take over at times, and create premature wrist snap.

I've never really messed with an interlock grip. I like my hands to be independent of each other, and I want the top hand to release properly after contact.

Your top hand can definitely mess up the swing if it isn't doing what it should. That goes for overlap or standard grip.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
every time i have thought i wanted to go back to a conventional grip, it was more hassle than it was worth...

I thought so for a long time too.... until suddenly it wasn't. I spent last year flaking around with my grip a lot. This winter I've had a lot of time to hit and think about what I'm doing. The results are speaking for themselves.

It felt weird at first. I literally had a 10 year period when I used nothing but the overlap grip. Putting the top hand back into play felt awkward at first.

Jerrshoe

how does the interLOCK work? it sounds very LOCKED to release.

Top hand pinky locks with Bottom hand index. If you twist it to properly align your knocking knuckles, your top hand should release just like a standard grip. It’s very similar to a common grip used by golfers

chile

Bad Ape
I thought so for a long time too.... until suddenly it wasn't. I spent last year flaking around with my grip a lot. This winter I've had a lot of time to hit and think about what I'm doing. The results are speaking for themselves.

It felt weird at first. I literally had a 10 year period when I used nothing but the overlap grip. Putting the top hand back into play felt awkward at first.

yeah, when i was taking a lot of bp with the conventional grip, it just felt forced...once i relaxed a little, it got better but never to the point that i was/am comfortable with the overlap...that being said, i did move from a full pinky drop to a "half" drop and that was noticeably better control wise...haven't hit in a while now but i wanna get back out...

jhitman

I appreciate all the insight. I used the conventional grip until 2010. For the next decade I used almost entirely overlap. Looking back, I feel like using the overlap grip for that long was a mistake. I hit well during that time, but I was always mis hitting too many balls. Giving away too many ABs.

The overlap grip produced massive distance at times, but generally not great consistency. I'd go from hitting a 400' HR one AB to grounding out the next 2. With the overlap, the highs were high and the lows were REALLY low. If you're having a bad day with the overlap grip the results can be comically inept.

It's so easy to get lazy with the overlap grip. If you don't put full focus into it you'll find yourself taking incredibly bad, uncontrolled swings. On my worst days I was always way out in front of the ball, making contact well after the wrists had rolled. I also missed the sweetspot frequently.

I've taken about 1000 swings in BP this winter, almost all of them with the conventional grip. During that time I've learned a lot, mainly that I didn't NEED to use an overlap grip to generate the power I desire. At this point I feel like using an overlap grip is like taking a placebo to combat disease.

I'm glad you are having success with the new grip. I am sticking to the overlap personally as I hit the ball better with it. I do agree with someone earlier that stated about hitting the ball deeper in the zone. I noticed that I either lunged or hit the ball too far out in front of the plate. That causes de-acceleration of the bat and loss of power. Too deep and you will hit it off the handle and not get the extension needed. Basically it takes a lot of BP but in order to get maximum power (whichever grip you use) you have to hit the ball at full extension and just in front of the plate. I am almost never late but I tend to get out in front way too often.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Quick update. 2 months into the season, and the conventional (w/ pinky drop) grip is working great. My timing is a whole lot better, and I'm mis hitting so many fewer balls than before. I'm also able to steer the ball MUUCCCCHHHH better with the conventional grip than the overlap.

Power? No problem at all there. 59 bombs in about 40 games. Having better timing means I can wait longer on the ball with confidence and hit it out oppo way more regularly than before. With the overlap grip my swing felt so much longer, like I was casting all the time. Most of the HRs I'd hit before were pulled. I could always hit oppo w/ the overlap grip, but the results were inconsistent. I'd roll over and hit too many 2 hoppers to 2B.

I waited way too long to make this change. My batting avg. in tournies is up like 200 points right now.

The overlap grip DOES feel good at times. You can absolutely smash balls to the moon. That said, it'll cost you just about everything else in your swing. Bad timing, bad consistency, and bad hit placement. With the overlap grip you're selling out for power and leaving everything else behind. IMO it just isn't worth it.

Redsfan

I'm surprised it took you 10 years to switch back. I've only experimented with the overlap grip in practices and I could tell immediately it wasn't going to be for me. Just the control aspect. I'm old school. I would rather bat .700+ with a few HR's than bat .500 with a bunch of HR's. Playing in a league with no bat testing and rock hard balls 99% of all players can hit it out. The HR has lost it's luster for me when anyone can do it. I would bet your higher ave has helped your team alot more this year too.

dunkky

mine is also almost conventional. just pinky drop and pinky overlap. if I remain as strong as i was when i had more mass and muscle, i might have stayed with overlap. but power and strength are just not there anymore at this point. I tried, what was suggested by jerrshoe a long time ago, basically interlocking the pinky and index i believe. I liked it alot since it worked as two hands as a single unit, but my pinky hurts.. so.. i ditched it.

to me, this grip thing is secondary, most important this is having a good solid overall mechanic.

Redsfan

The only grip I used that felt good for me was the pinky interlock. It's the same grip I use golfing but it was so close to the conventional grip I didn't see any use for it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm surprised it took you 10 years to switch back. I've only experimented with the overlap grip in practices and I could tell immediately it wasn't going to be for me. Just the control aspect. I'm old school. I would rather bat .700+ with a few HR's than bat .500 with a bunch of HR's. Playing in a league with no bat testing and rock hard balls 99% of all players can hit it out. The HR has lost it's luster for me when anyone can do it. I would bet your higher ave has helped your team alot more this year too.

Yeah, I'm definitely liking the higher batting avg. Way less stupid missed swings. The power's still there. I don't feel like I've lost anything by going back to the conventional grip.

If anything, I hit MORE HRs with the conventional grip because I'm missing the ball so much less often.

MEATLOAF76

Addicted to Softballfans
I had to switch back from a overlap to a traditional due to injury. I had started out with the old Carl Rose interlock at the index fingers. Then moved to a Ray Demarini overlap since 1991. I tore the proximal bicep tendon in my left arm, my lead arm, right handed swinger. The doctor said basically to live with it because the surgery would just attach it to the muscle and I wouldn't really gain anything from it. This made it hard to get the snap that I was used to due to the fact that I couldn't roll over with out pain in my arm and shoulder. Going back to a traditional grip helped me be able to get the snap and the roll over with out pain. I still drop a pinky and have the ring finger on the knob of the bat, but the top hand is completely back on the bat. I have also found that I don't line up my knocking knuckles it made me feel like I was casting more. As always it is a work in progress but I do feel like I have had less miss hits. But, I do feel like I miss the ease of the overlap swing.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I had to switch back from a overlap to a traditional due to injury. I had started out with the old Carl Rose interlock at the index fingers. Then moved to a Ray Demarini overlap since 1991. I tore the proximal bicep tendon in my left arm, my lead arm, right handed swinger. The doctor said basically to live with it because the surgery would just attach it to the muscle and I wouldn't really gain anything from it. This made it hard to get the snap that I was used to due to the fact that I couldn't roll over with out pain in my arm and shoulder. Going back to a traditional grip helped me be able to get the snap and the roll over with out pain. I still drop a pinky and have the ring finger on the knob of the bat, but the top hand is completely back on the bat. I have also found that I don't line up my knocking knuckles it made me feel like I was casting more. As always it is a work in progress but I do feel like I have had less miss hits. But, I do feel like I miss the ease of the overlap swing.

I've never lined up knuckles either. I tried it a time or two after reading about it, but I didn't like it. Felt like my top hand wasn't doing anything, and lining up the knuckles did absolutely zero for my swing.

I drop the pinky off the knob and pinky overlap with top hand. Just comfortable for me. Never liked anymore overlap than that. Also tried to go back to normal over the years but didn't feel good with it. Like others I don't concern myself with the knocking knuckles thing. As long as the bat is in the fingers and not the palms swing away.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Played my first games yesterdayafter only 2 bps over a month ago, and only had 1 poorly hit ball. I credit this to putting my whole top hand back on the bat.

I dont line up my knuckles either, but i assume they line up naturally before contact if you keep your grip loose. Every time i line them up before swinging i chop under the ball. Could be all in my head, but I'm not messing with it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Played my first games yesterdayafter only 2 bps over a month ago, and only had 1 poorly hit ball. I credit this to putting my whole top hand back on the bat.

I dont line up my knuckles either, but i assume they line up naturally before contact if you keep your grip loose. Every time i line them up before swinging i chop under the ball. Could be all in my head, but I'm not messing with it.

Bingo. Putting the top hand all the way on the bat again is making a HUGE difference for me. I played 6 games today and mis hit 2 balls all day. I'm barreling everything up.

All I'm doing is dropping the pinky on the bottom hand, and I haven't hit the ball this well in years. One other thing I'm noticing is that using the top hand, everything I'm hitting feels driven. The ball is penetrating and "staying hit". Sometimes with the overlap grip I'd hit balls hard and have them seemingly die late.

jhitman

Bingo. Putting the top hand all the way on the bat again is making a HUGE difference for me. I played 6 games today and mis hit 2 balls all day. I'm barreling everything up.

All I'm doing is dropping the pinky on the bottom hand, and I haven't hit the ball this well in years. One other thing I'm noticing is that using the top hand, everything I'm hitting feels driven. The ball is penetrating and "staying hit". Sometimes with the overlap grip I'd hit balls hard and have them seemingly die late.

Glad it's working for you TW. I tried it in BP and the bat felt so short. I guess I just got used to the overlap over the years and It's hard to try and switch back. I am sticking with the overlap as I'm not having many mi****s so far and the power is there.

dunkky

if it ain't broken, don't fix it. this is not a what's better of two. it's what's working for you better. right now, just like tw, overlap ain't working for me. so. adjustment had to be made.

jhitman

if it ain't broken, don't fix it. this is not a what's better of two. it's what's working for you better. right now, just like tw, overlap ain't working for me. so. adjustment had to be made.

I agree dunkky. Also, quite often it's not the grip anyways. Most people that struggle at the plate are because of timing, mechanical issues or not enough BP not the grip IMO. Whether it's overlap, drop a finger or two, conventional etc. it's whatever you feel most comfortable with and gives you the best results.

dunkky

Definitely not. Especially for strong guys with big hand. everything should feel like broom stick to them, bat control is not an issue but underlying fundamental related like you said.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
God............You guys tinker with your swings, grips, elbows, hands, feet and everything else, waaaaaaaaay too damn much.