p17's shoulder injury journey

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Good to see things are progressing well.
Keep an eye on the mechanics, with the inactivity and little muscle build up it is easy to start compensating and could make for a new injury.
I was hitting at full strength way before the throwing came back, good luck tomorrow.

brm2073

Addicted to Softballfans
I to pitched growing up and would throw a lot more then I probably should have due to hs/aau/bruth etc seasons running simultaneously. When I first started playing sb I played mostly 3B/SS and some OF but my arm also got progressively worse. Felt like getting stabbed in the shoulder after making a strong throw. Anyways I to went and had the mri done and was also told I had a labrum tear and the doctor recommended surgery. So I took the easy way out and decided to play 1B instead of going through the surgery because I wasn’t sure if it was worth it. That was about 2 or 3 yrs ago and my arm is now garbage and I cant even really do bench at the gym without it causing quite a bit of pain. I guess one positive is it doesnt really bother me at work or doing anything other than throwing or lifting. Anyways seeing your thread is encouraging as I was kind of skeptical of the surgery/recovery time its good to hear someone else is having a positive experience with it. Sounds like its going good so far for you good luck the rest of the way.
Thanks

Last edited:

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
Alright, here's the first bp session of mine 6 months after my surgery. I was going mostly for line drives, middle shots, and oppo hits but there are some HRs mixed in at 1:10, 2:26, 3:15, 3:55 and 4:25. Made good contact for the most part. Swing felt okay. Swingspeed and timing isn't really there. I think that's due more to rust than anything. It was the first time I had really swung in over 6 months. This was on Saturday. Sunday both my shoulders were really tired, and I somehow hyperextended my left elbow, kind of like tennis elbow. I think I was probably overcompensating and using my left shoulder a lot. Today I am still sore, but better

Last edited by a moderator:

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
I can't believe it's been only 6 months because it seems like you're swinging free and easy without any pain. Looks like it's just a matter of building up your strength and stamina.

PS Get a new pitcher...

p17

Yeah swinging is fine. I healed quickly and was 100% cleared just 3 months after surgery. I've been golfing a lot, but these were the first softball swings. Golfing has always been fine, but this is a much more violent swing so I'm pretty sore lol. Gotta get into shape

cheato

TRACKIN'
I can't believe it's been only 6 months because it seems like you're swinging free and easy without any pain. Looks like it's just a matter of building up your strength and stamina.

i've posted in here earlier but i'll say it again, swinging was never a problem for me post surgery i was dry swinging after 2 months, throwing it was takes a long time to get back, took me about 9 months to really get all my strength back in my throws

ps glad to hear you are doing well

Dave.C

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah swinging is fine. I healed quickly and was 100% cleared just 3 months after surgery. I've been golfing a lot, but these were the first softball swings. Golfing has always been fine, but this is a much more violent swing so I'm pretty sore lol. Gotta get into shape

Do you have any discomfort at all in your shoulder?

p17

Do you have any discomfort at all in your shoulder?

Not really. It gets sore easily still when I use it a lot, and if I lay on it for a long time when I'm sleeping it gets pretty stiff. Other than that, it feels really good

p17

Okay, so I played some softball finally. I played in a tourney last weekend, 6 games in all. Played OF. Felt good to get out and run, since I've been at 1B for a long time. Didn't really have to throw until the last game besides normal cutoffs. I held up just fine until that last game, when I actually had to throw somewhat hard. It definitely didn't feel great, and was very sore the next day just from those 3-4 harder throws. It didn't really "hurt", but it was weak. The muscles in my shoulder are still weak. I start league tonight. I am only playing league this summer and just one night a week. The rest of my time will be spent being a stay at home dad and golfing

bambinos

1992-93
I've been reading all this and so like you guys my pain and discomfort began in 2008. I still played with it. Until last year. After playing volleyball (once a week) and ball two times a week, my arm just gave up. I went to pt for 2 month 3 times a week. I did not attempt to throw a ball for 2 months. After the two months I only played as dh. I tried strengthing it the whole winter and spring. The pain is still there. So I had an MRI done. Here it is below. My appointment with the doc is may 30. Your input is greatly appreciated.

MRI.jpg

Rx4musl

Coach
I've been reading all this and so like you guys my pain and discomfort began in 2008. I still played with it. Until last year. After playing volleyball (once a week) and ball two times a week, my arm just gave up. I went to pt for 2 month 3 times a week. I did not attempt to throw a ball for 2 months. After the two months I only played as dh. I tried strengthing it the whole winter and spring. The pain is still there. So I had an MRI done. Here it is below. My appointment with the doc is may 30. Your input is greatly appreciated.

MRI.jpg

All-in-all the diagnosis doesn't sound all that bad. I assume they will do a subacromial decompression to enlarge the AC joint space which is a pretty standard/common procedure for overhead throwing athletes. The lack of damage to the biceps tendon indicates your sub-scapularis muscle is in good shape. They will probably debride (shave) the frayed/"degenerative tissue" around the biceps tendon and the labrum. If they do the decompression, you will be in an Abduction Pillow Sling (was pictured on page 1 or 2 of this thread) for about 4-6 weeks. Total recovery will be 4-6 months. Good luck man! Do your PT as prescribed and don't be a tough guy and do more than told.

I've been through 5 shoulder surgeries by the best docs in the country (last one was in Jan '12) and still not sure if it's been fixed. Shoulder pain sux!

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a feeling that my arm is jacked. Not sure what I have but its not good. I have trouble lifting over my head and pressing although my form is good. I don't throw anymore....and it hurts when I throw. I used to throw a softball 300+ft....now all velocity is gone cause I am deathly afraid to even throw it hard at all. It hurts more lifting now......and today...I am not even pressing overhead. I know my shoulder is bad...and I don't want to go to the doc....but looks like no other option:(

chev17

Addicted to Softballfans
Glad I found this thread. I'm having rotater cuff and labrum surgery on Monday and it helps knowing a little of what to expect.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Well, I'm just over 8 months after surgery. Yesterday was the first time to do some very light throwing. Felt nice. Not much on it, but more working on getting my arm back and coming forward. Throwing at about 20yds.

chev17

Addicted to Softballfans
I was postponed till the 15th. He told me it would require anchors but Didn't say how many.

p17

Been a while since I've updated.

Had my first league games (all I'm doing this year, just one day a week), a few weeks ago. I played SS. Only had to make two throws to first, and they both came in the last inning of the second game. The throws were good, but they definitely hurt. My arm was almost dead for about 5 days afterwards. The next week I played 1B to rest it, but I still warmed up before the game and got some long toss in, if you can call 100 feet long toss. Arm was fine. Last week, I started at 1B but moved to OF when we changed to a five man. No one on our team is good enough to play CF besides me so I made my coach put me there. He didn't want me to hurt myself. I ended up making several somewhat-hard throws in to the IF and they didn't hurt. After the game I felt great. The next morning I was sore, but the soreness only lasted a day. I *think* my arm is about at 80% right now, but gets tired/sore easily since I haven't used those muscles much in the past 8 months. Things are looking good though