Physical Abilities Test

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
I have to take a police physical ability test on the 24th. Just found out about it today. It consists of doing a certain amount of sit-ups (35) and push-ups (24) in one minute, a flexibility test, and a 1.5 mile run in less than 12:58. The 1.5 mile run has me a little concerned. Other than softball (if that counts), my only cardio consists of walking on the treadmill a couple times a week for about 30 minutes, usually at 3.5 mph. I get shin splints when I run. I think I can tough it out, but whats the best way to prepare, given that its in 10 days?

I'm 5'11 and 225. I lift 4-5 times a week, just don't do much cardio.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
damn...yours is easier than mine LOL. You get a whole extra minute for the run. I'm in the 30-39 group.

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
damn. I am in the same boat as you, but im in the 20-29 boat so I get 10 more seconds than you do. I think ill be OK on situps, but i need to work on pushups (I keep a wider base with my arms than they allow), and running, im a big dude. Good luck either way man!

I also hate running on a track. Im hoping my test is point to point, and not laps. I get ADD and think way too much about what im doing and it throws off my rhythm

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
I would probably get fit for new running shoes. I wear the Brooks Beast which is made for heavier people. I'm 6'1" 250. I used to get bad shin splints before them.

No offense, but if you can't hit those requirements I wouldn't want you protecting me.

In order to pass you must do:

.6 sit-ups/sec
.4 push-ups/sec
8.5 minute mile pace

DSNuts48

Badass
10 days will be tough for you, when did you apply? Thats when you should have started running. Maybe go on 2-3 runs in the 10 days with a few days rest before your test date. On that day give it everything you have. My states testing is easier than that:

1 rep Bench Press - 75% of bodyweight
18 situps in 2 minutes
24 pushups in 1 minute
300m sprint <65s
1.5m in <16:00~

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
I took the written test aug 3rd the top 40 of the 105 that took it get to take the physical test. I had no idea it was going to be so soon. Oh well. only part I'm concerned with is the run. I ran a 10 minute mile with no problem tonight. Just gotta pick up the pace.

44oki

Hillbilly
Get a GPS watch, a good one will let you set a pace and alert you if you're going too slow. It's the only way I can pass my AF pt run, and headphones. Headphones help big time. You don't get distracted by your breathing and there are some running tracks that help your pace by the beats. I'd probably run 1-2 times before but give yourself a couple/3 days rest before and make sure you hydrate, that'll slow you down too.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
You knew there would be a physical test right? I wish you luck but definitely should have started running sooner.

If you do get the job, gonna want to start doing more cardio. Sprints and explosive exercises. It's nice to look big in your uniform and be strong but odds are you get in a foot pursuit a lot more often then having to actually use all that strength. And if you do get in a fight, you'll need the stamina, especially if you don't have backup units close.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
I signed up the week before the test. Saw it advertised in the paper. It's only 2 openings. I'm a long shot since I'm not a veteran, not a minority, and I don't have residency preference (i live in the next town over).

You guys think running every few days with rest in between is better than running every day to build up stamina?

knockers

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't mean to sound like a douche but if you cant run 1.5 miles in 13 min than you have no business protecting people.... seriously you could backpedal that pace

44oki

Hillbilly
I signed up the week before the test. Saw it advertised in the paper. It's only 2 openings. I'm a long shot since I'm not a veteran, not a minority, and I don't have residency preference (i live in the next town over).

You guys think running every few days with rest in between is better than running every day to build up stamina?

Running everyday isn't going to help your shin splints, you can ride a bike or do elliptical on days you don't run to build up stamina. I usually only run 2 days a week to keep my pace but do an additional 2-3 days on a bike or elliptical.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Ours is a joke, you could be on your death bed and pass.
You must score a 75 to pass.
1/4 mile run in under 2 minutes is 25 points.
As many sit ups as you can do in 1 minute, 1 point each.
As many pushups as you can do in 1 minute, 1 point each.
As many squats as you can do in 1 minute, 1 point each.
Carry 25 lbs sand bag 20 feet, 25 points.
Ladder climb, 5 rungs, climb 5 times for 25 points.
They are talking about moving it to 125 points and most are complaining, like I said, a joke.
We have to pass that every year.

I took the written test aug 3rd the top 40 of the 105 that took it get to take the physical test. I had no idea it was going to be so soon. Oh well. only part I'm concerned with is the run. I ran a 10 minute mile with no problem tonight. Just gotta pick up the pace.

I'd get on the treadmill, or whatever you're using, again tomorrow night and run for 1.5 miles at a 8.5 minute pace.

You only need to pick up ~30 seconds every 1/4 mile.

grubd

Banned User
I'd be screwed. Started running again recently for the first time consistently since I was 20. Have gotten my mile down from 14:50 to 10:30 and I thought I was doing good all this time. Of course I am training for a half Marathon not a mile sprint.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere

So this is just something you decided to apply for cause you saw they were hiring??? Haven't applied anywhere else before? Or thought about it?