Pitcher reaction time

klu

on the mound
So long story short, I pitch, a lot, and thought i had pretty decent reaction time for middle shots. Turns out I was wrong. Played an area team loaded with major level players and maybe a c player at the lowest. Travis Clark made me think twice about how "quick" I thought my glove is. He buzzed a few past me that by the time my glove was there the ball was in the outfield already. Yes I know he's a major-team USA player, but if he wanted to hit me he would've had no problem. I need to work on reaction speed, quite a bit.

So, that being said, what kind of things would help improve reaction speed. How cani go from, whoa that was close, to snapping that off like I should.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
So long story short, I pitch, a lot, and thought i had pretty decent reaction time for middle shots. Turns out I was wrong. Played an area team loaded with major level players and maybe a c player at the lowest. Travis Clark made me think twice about how "quick" I thought my glove is. He buzzed a few past me that by the time my glove was there the ball was in the outfield already. Yes I know he's a major-team USA player, but if he wanted to hit me he would've had no problem. I need to work on reaction speed, quite a bit.

So, that being said, what kind of things would help improve reaction speed. How cani go from, whoa that was close, to snapping that off like I should.

Pitch, take two steps back and get in the ready position with your glove up.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont know bro. Swung a mercy this weekend and hit a pitcher in the wrist.
Not sure with these new asa bats anyone has a chance.

AJ22

Super Moderator
- Quit moving ... if you are moving on the swing (which you do all the time KLU), your first reaction will be always to stop. At least stop your momentum of you moving before the swing. Your wasting a split second by stopping your movement. Do this before the swing.

- Be in a ready position .. glove up and ready to field a ball hit towards you.

- ALWAYS BE ALERT and READY ... expect the ball to be hit towards you. Don't act surprised when the ball is hit towards you.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont know bro. Swung a mercy this weekend and hit a pitcher in the wrist.
Not sure with these new asa bats anyone has a chance.

And the new standards are suppose to make the game safer...lmao. Bat regulations should have been left alone IMO

hitsone

Pitch, take two steps back and get in the ready position with your glove up.

good advice there.
I watched the majors in StGeorge and saw several pitchers immediately take several long strides backwards and get set. I also saw them cover 2 and turn a couple of 4 to 3 doubles by themselves.
I've also watched hockey goalies bounce tennis balls off the wall, very close, very fast, usually 2 at a time.
My advice to you is armour up.....it can hurt

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
- Quit moving ... if you are moving on the swing (which you do all the time KLU), your first reaction will be always to stop. At least stop your momentum of you moving before the swing. Your wasting a split second by stopping your movement. Do this before the swing.

- ALWAYS BE ALERT and READY ... expect the ball to be hit towards you. Don't act surprised when the ball is hit towards you.

I am guilty of his when I pitch. I definitely need to do a better job this year using 2 steps and getting ready to field the ball...

klu

on the mound

Thanks AJ. Those are little things that will make a difference. Some things I really haven't thought bout (moving to much).

AJ22

Super Moderator
Thanks AJ. Those are little things that will make a difference. Some things I really haven't thought bout (moving to much).

The biggest thing is to be in a position where your first reaction is to move towards the ball ... not stop your momentum.

I'm not good by any means on the mound but I field a lot and at my age, I have to be ready. As we get older, reaction times get a hair slower each year. I've pitched for 30 years. And am shoeing it up one more time this summer as I like to pitch ... and I like to field the middle.

klu

on the mound
Thanks for the tips aj. Makes sense about momentum, which I tend to have a lot of lol. I usually do a good job fielding IMO but I need to get better if I wanna be able to walk after another round with major type players.

adnan kosugi

Banned User
Learn some jux and take a few steps back, usually a little towards ss of it its an inside pitch, and towards 2b if it is outside. If batter is lefty i can't help you, sorry.

klu

on the mound
F9D85B29-2AFC-46CC-933E-1407D6817704-9019-00000453DC081370.mp4

klu

on the mound
So back to OP. what do u guys do other than back up to increase reaction time? Any drills, methods, tips?

jwilk

Extra Hitter
Take up Boxing! Seriously it helps hand speed, reaction time and head movement. Ive found that any ball up to about 109mph I can see and make a play on or get out of the way of. Anything more than that you can't see.

Resin Glazed

The Veteran
Find one of those blinky board things and slap the lights when they light up?

Have a friend rail balls at you.

Don't smoke weed or drink too much before games.

In all seriousness, I feel like its what someone posted above, your either born with it or your not.

Oh, and back the **** up after you pitch the ball.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Racquetball... No lie. I played racquetball at my gym 2-3x a week this winter and it's made a world of improvement in my reaction time and lateral movement. I know lateral movement isn't required on the mound, but I've played P and 3b since the winter and found myself gloving balls I would have never touched before.

Brueggs

Manager
Racquetball is awesome for hand eye coordination / reaction time, especially when moving. Also a great workout.