Pitching Gear and Safety

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
Sometimes a mask isn't enough...

ouch.jpeg

Remember kids...two hands to make the catch is good, but keep your throwing hand out of the glove until AFTER the ball is in it.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
I pitched for the first time without a mask in a rec league last night. It was such a weird feeling.

No I didn't do it cuz they were rec. I did it because at ASA C Nationals I was putting on my Combat Faceoff during a game and the strap snapped leaving me with a broken mask. Thank goodness a teammate had a worth pitcher's helmet with him.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
HOLY #*&%!!!!!!!!! That just puckered my sphincter...

I hope you recover fully from that....:eek:

blakcherry329

It's not me, but a 3B I play with.

Worst part? He got 10 stitches...5 of them were thru the nail bed!

I've never seen anything like that before. I hope he got good meds for that pain. :wtf2:

Ahhhhh, that makes sense now. I was wondering how a pitcher would get to put his hand in the glove before the ball.

KDEflyers

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a right handed pitcher and I wear;

Worth helmet,
full catchers shin guards with the flaps that protect the top of my foot & flaps that cover inside and outside of ankle bones,
Evoshield wrist guards, pad on pinky side of left wrist and on thumb side of right wrist,
Shock Doctor ultra batter's elbow guard on my left elbow,
Evoshield chest protector,
Nutty Buddy cup.

Oh, and sometimes I'm lucky enough to get the most important piece of protection on the ball, my Vinci glove. I've been wearing all this for a couple years now and the only stuff that has taken a hit is the shin guards, twice the flap over the outside ankle bone has saved me some real damage.

I can wear all that crap and it really doesn't hamper my fielding much, if at all. Only thing that is harder for me with the helmet on is getting over to first and finding the bag while I keep an eye on the ball, when I remember to anyway:)

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pitched for the first time without a mask in a rec league last night. It was such a weird feeling.

No I didn't do it cuz they were rec. I did it because at ASA C Nationals I was putting on my Combat Faceoff during a game and the strap snapped leaving me with a broken mask. Thank goodness a teammate had a worth pitcher's helmet with him.

Same here. I did it because they were rec, but never again. It just felt weird, and I don't want to have to adjust back to the mask on the weekend. If anyone makes fun of me I'll just drill their pitcher. j/k :D

SoCalChappy619

Addicted to Softballfans
I wear my radars under my worth pitching helmet with no issues. I have a pretty big head too I wear 7-1/2 or 7-5/8 hat depending on brand.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pull my catcher's helmet over my Flak Jackets. I'd assume a Worth would work the same way, but that eye gap is probably big enough to put them on after if you wanted to.

blakcherry329

Same here. I did it because they were rec, but never again. It just felt weird, and I don't want to have to adjust back to the mask on the weekend. If anyone makes fun of me I'll just drill their pitcher. j/k :D
The only time I don't wear my mask is in my Clincher leagues. Other than that, always.
I'm considering getting a Rip-it mask for the few times I play 1b. I used to play 3b, even with the bag, back in the day(and that was with .47 Thunders or Red Dots:eek:). I guess getting older with more responsibilities makes me a little more skittish, for lack of a better term.

djwtp

minnesota nice
I use the broomball shin pads and they have saved my shins many of time and I use the worth mask and can fit my radars on with easy. I will wear all the protective stuff I can wear so I don't walk around all black and blue from getting hit.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I do tip. Worth helmet and Flak Jackets. But I have a beetlejuice sized head.

Yeah I have a big square head so that's a factor but Chappy seems to be similar & it works for him, guess I just need to try again.

I use the broomball shin pads and they have saved my shins many of time and I use the worth mask and can fit my radars on with easy. I will wear all the protective stuff I can wear so I don't walk around all black and blue from getting hit.

Do you take these on/off each inning with shorts or do they stay on under pants. I might need to trade up & get something with knee protection but I like being able to quick off/on.

lx_2nv

Coach
Yeah I have a big square head so that's a factor but Chappy seems to be similar & it works for him, guess I just need to try again.

Do you take these on/off each inning with shorts or do they stay on under pants. I might need to trade up & get something with knee protection but I like being able to quick off/on.

I know my buddy has a visor for his helmet that can be zip-tied in seconds. Just have to add some wire ties and dykes to you bag lol.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
i wear the Worth mask as well. Before this season, my league never mandated you wear a mask. But I tell you what, like some of you guys have already stated, I pitched in another league where it wasn't mandated.... And it felt weird.

I will never pitch without a mask ever again; it just doesn't feel right.

-G

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Just found out a teammate on a local league team got hit while pitching that broke his orbital bone & did major damage. Had reconstructive surgery to his face & eye, said looking through the one eye is like looking through a broken prefer of glass. Always wearing my mask now, eff that!

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you take these on/off each inning with shorts or do they stay on under pants. I might need to trade up & get something with knee protection but I like being able to quick off/on.[/QUOTE said:
I wear the same gear as djwtp and have the broomball pads under my pants, therefore no "on/off" between innings. If you wore them over your pants I guess you could take them off for batting. They are pretty light and slender and don't really interfere with my running the bases.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Just found out a teammate on a local league team got hit while pitching that broke his orbital bone & did major damage. Had reconstructive surgery to his face & eye, said looking through the one eye is like looking through a broken prefer of glass. Always wearing my mask now, eff that!

This is why I wear................................

djwtp

minnesota nice
Do you take these on/off each inning with shorts or do they stay on under pants. I might need to trade up & get something with knee protection but I like being able to quick off/on.[/QUOTE]

I wear pants all the time so they never come off and they don't bother me when I run or play in the field. The ones I have are like socks and don't have straps so it would be a pain in the ass to take off and put back on quick.

Hockey Shin Guards are the way to go for this.

They usually have one longer skinny strap and then they velcro in the back.

2 straps. On and Off in 2 seconds. Provide the MOST protection by far. A little bulky under pants but not terrible.

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
I now where a Lacrosse mask, umpire shin guards (I umpire LL too, so they serve dual purpose for me), a cup, and an ok glove (currently looking for a 14"+ glove). I have been leaving my thighs exposed, but took a shot last year, so may change my sliding shorts to account for that. I have a really nice chest protector (covers my gut, ribs, and love handles too...but I haven't worn it yet. (wondering how much it interferes). Have you guys had issues wearing the chest protector? It's definitely not an easy dof/don piece of equipment.

Joker

lot of meat on the thighs, they don't hurt as much. you might be able to find roller hockey pads that cover the thigh. something like this

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Alkali-Hockey-RPD-Comp-Girdle/dp/B00H1K95J4"]Amazon.com : Alkali Hockey RPD Comp Girdle : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413Ri6S%2BgyL.@@AMEPARAM@@413Ri6S%2BgyL[/ame]

for a chest protector i'd look at roller hockey stuff or paintball gear