Pitching Gear and Safety

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would much rather play in shorts but the shin guards kinda defeated the purpose and I think it made me more of a target. Don't know that I really care anymore and shorts would make my current guards real easy to take off.

If I'm playing against the 52s I'm probably going to skip the shinguards. I just don't want a broken leg. I skated and played soccer growing up so I can handle the pain. I got the BMX style with velcro straps so I can always add them at any point.

I always consider myself a target. I never talk trash, but make fun of myself and the dumber guys on the other team somehow think I'm mocking them.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
If I'm wearing a mask, I'm definitely wearing shin guards, have a tough time taking low rockets with a mask. I took a 44/375 off the shin at 1st in February, took a funny bounce where they patched the turf. Lumped me up pretty good and the Dr thought I may have chipped the bone, then she forgot to set up an x-ray, I have a new Dr.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
If I'm playing against the 52s I'm probably going to skip the shinguards.

Why risk it? Even the .52 will hurt and the right shin guards disappear once you put them on.

I use the ones that mold to your legs and just slide them in some long socks when I'm pitching.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Why risk it? Even the .52 will hurt and the right shin guards disappear once you put them on.

I use the ones that mold to your legs and just slide them in some long socks when I'm pitching.

He's saying he doesn't want to make himself a target being the guy with BMX shin guards and shorts out there on the mound

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
He's saying he doesn't want to make himself a target being the guy with BMX shin guards and shorts out there on the mound

Wow, that's 'effed up if true where he plays.

I gear up like Robocop on the mound and don't feel like it makes me a target around here. Hell, I still get the "sorry pitch!" 9/10 times after a shot up the middle.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
the fact that wearing more armor makes you a target is what's wrong with this game

Wow, that's 'effed up if true where he plays.

I gear up like Robocop on the mound and don't feel like it makes me a target around here. Hell, I still get the "sorry pitch!" 9/10 times after a shot up the middle.

Agree 100% but I'm pretty sure that's the issue jbo runs into when he's pitching. I could be wrong but that was my understanding after reading several of his posts in here

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

No, he's quoting me. Unless he meant chrometip. I just meant I'm more comfortable without them because I sweat a lot. :D I forgot to wear them for a couple of innings of Freedom or WSL State last year and it's way more comfortable without them. With a 44, I wouldn't intentionally risk it though due to the chance of bone breakage. With the 52, I think the chance of speed and angle is so slight I'd take that chance.

Bolusu

Addicted to Softballfans
the fact that wearing more armor makes you a target is what's wrong with this game

I agree with this.

Anyone try Umpire leg guards?

I am still searching for something with good protection but that can be put on and taken off quickly. I had bought the Fox ones but they weren't so easy on and off and I felt that they had less padding than the Lizard Skins Knee and Shin Guards.

Jangle.Leg

Lighter the better!
Just curious on the weight of helmets. Can someone scale their worth helmet for me and if anyone has a cascade cpx-r...
Thanks in advance

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, fellas wear your cup and helmet always....................

Im not sharing pics, but nutty buddy saved my life last night.

Last edited:

Strawberry

Shin Killer
has anyone used the Champro Fielders mask? It looks like a cheaper alternative to the rip it and they have lime green camo.

Yes. I have one and it works great! The mask is the same size for adult and youth but the padding is smaller for adult. I use it playing inf and pitching sometimes. Hard for me not to wear my lax helmet when pitching. But the Champro mask works great when it's stupid hot

Last edited:

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans
Does anyone have any thoughts or opinion on the Easton M7 catcher's helmet?

i-white.jpg

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Got one......You can get it off and on fast. I like that, but I wear glasses, so....................not so much
This is the first helmet that I did not need to cut any of the crossbars off. Vision was fine.
I Will give it a fair run this fall in league, but I still perfer my goalie mask

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i wear the stealth speed helmet which looks to be the same shape. very comfortable, nice and light, and not overly hot even down here in tx

CappinHard1

Well, I finally took a liner off my body that left a mark. I pitch and I have had a few close calls off the ankles or foot, but nothing like this. It happened last Saturday at our end of season softball tournament in the championship game. The guy that hit it is notorious for towering home run shots. I have never seen him do anything but hit a deep pull shot to left. This time it came right back at me. I almost got my glove on it, but just didn't have time. The first picture is 1 day after. 2nd picture is 2 days after. 3rd picture is 3 days after. 4th and 5th pictures are 4 days later. We use 52 300 balls, I'm not sure what bat he used, not sure that it matters. I think I'm glad that we aren't still using 44 375 balls like we were last year. By the way, we did win the championship, so that helps out with the whole thing. It's not very painful, I'm just worried about clotting and calcium deposits. Hopefully it just subsides like a normal bruise. If anyone has any suggestions for a good compression short with pads, I'm definitely willing to hear them. Not sure how much they would have helped in this case though.

IMAG2291_zpslqbar5zg.jpg

IMAG2296_zps9rmwof0n.jpg

IMAG2303_zpsrljhmpcx.jpg

IMAG2327_zpstel7tibn.jpg

IMAG2330_zpsnvb83jug.jpg

Last edited:

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
HOLY CR*P dude!!!! Hopefully you've been doing RICE on it this whole week. I've taken some shots, and I get the no time to move out of the way, but that is just...wow. Were you able to stay in the game and keep pitching?

Of all the equipment we've discussed here, I don't think we have anyway to protect against that. Keep an eye on it and get better bro!

CappinHard1

HOLY CR*P dude!!!! Hopefully you've been doing RICE on it this whole week. I've taken some shots, and I get the no time to move out of the way, but that is just...wow. Were you able to stay in the game and keep pitching?

Of all the equipment we've discussed here, I don't think we have anyway to protect against that. Keep an eye on it and get better bro!

I have been 'RICE'ing as much as I can. Yeah I stayed in the game, honestly it didn't phase me much, it just kind of bounced off my thigh. Thankfully I have some elephant trunk thighs... I think it hit me in one of the best spots on my body to be honest.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been 'RICE'ing as much as I can. Yeah I stayed in the game, honestly it didn't phase me much, it just kind of bounced off my thigh. Thankfully I have some elephant trunk thighs... I think it hit me in one of the best spots on my body to be honest.

Yeah, I was actually thinking that same thing about getting hit there, one of the biggest muscles on the body to take the brunt. Shot like that to the shin would have been devastating.

Iball, we are already wearing Masks, mouth guards, heart guards, shin guards, wrist guards and cups. I don't think I've seen anything for thighs yet outside of full hockey gear. Granted Cappin didn't say what other protective gear he was wearing, but not sure what we can wear for that.