Pitching to higher level players

Beauner

Starting Player
What kind of chump league do you play where you can strike out a side?
The kind where a lot of guys like to look for walks because they are trying way too hard to win a t-shirt. The team in question is made up of probably 7-8 tournament players and 4-5 older guys/non-tournament guys.
It technically wasn't striking out the side, either. I got the 2nd and 3rd out in one inning and then the leadoff guy the next.

The wind was blowing straight out to dead center so there were a lot of pitches that were not strikes for 90% of the way to the plate and then dove into the zone to get guys looking or taking futile swings.

amace04

The wind was blowing straight out to dead center so there were a lot of pitches that were not strikes for 90% of the way to the plate and then dove into the zone to get guys looking or taking futile swings.

So when the ball is unpredictable, and 2 guys before you got struck out, you need to protect. That's still bad hitting. Kudos for taking advantage of it as a pitcher, but slowpitch is a hitting game. swing the bat.

huzzdog

retired
The kind where a lot of guys like to look for walks because they are trying way too hard to win a t-shirt. The team in question is made up of probably 7-8 tournament players and 4-5 older guys/non-tournament guys.
It technically wasn't striking out the side, either. I got the 2nd and 3rd out in one inning and then the leadoff guy the next.

you struck out 3 consecutive hitters and they were "tournament players". what kind of tournaments? corn hole? bowling?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I played in a charity fundraiser tournament last weekend. We lost miserably. Am I a tournament player?

Beauner

Starting Player
So when the ball is unpredictable, and 2 guys before you got struck out, you need to protect. That's still bad hitting. Kudos for taking advantage of it as a pitcher, but slowpitch is a hitting game. swing the bat.
That's my approach. If it's close, I'm taking a hack. Especially if I have a strike. And if it's league? I don't go to league to walk.

hitsone

Wow, wish I had read this thread before I went to Huntsman Worlds.

While there I asked a Major pitcher for some advice. He said don't throw strikes. At his level everyone is too Macho to walk