pre vs post abi bat durability

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a thread going debating how much better pre vs post abi bats. I'm not in for that debate but would rather bring to light something no one in that thread mentioned. Bat durability. I have a hard time believing the post abi bats will last as long as pre. I have a AV with at least 5000 hits on it and going strong and has hit a ton since about 400 hits. I have a sherk catty I put over 1400 hits on that is just about game ready. I know this bat will be good for another 3000 to 4000 hits if not more. These are just two examples.

Don't get me wrong I have a couple of post abi bats because I wanted too try them out. For the money especially this time of the year most pre abi bats are comparable in price to post. Yes most pre abi bats take more time to break in but my theory is the post abi bats don't last close to as long. With that being said you will be replacing a post abi bat way before a pre, thus not saving any money in the long run.

Any thoughts

MPT23

Putting on the foil
In general, your theory is probably true. But to argue the point. I prefer the ASA rd28 over any other ASA bat. Now, this boils down to a matter of feel and it fitting my swing perfectly. Something magical happens with a rd in my hands. Is it in my head ? Maybe. Some post-abi bats have great durability as well. This arguement could go on forever. Find a bat that suits you best, pre or post-abi and ftw.

Last edited:

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
In general, your theory is probably true. But to argue the point. I prefer the ASA rd28 over any other ASA bat. Now, this boils down to a matter of feel and it fitting my swing perfectly. Something magical happens with a rd in my hands. Is it in my head ? Maybe. Some post-abi bats have great durability as well. This arguement could go on forever. Find a bat that suits you best, pre or post-abi and ftw.

The last sentence here says it all.

dgambill85

Banned User
I participate in these arguments quite often. I have one post abi bat and that is the z. The only reason I own it is because a few people on my base league team like it and for the state regional and national asa tournies that use the 52 300 balls. Now I have a freak 98 that I use for bp and when I get a hair up my ass for league ball. My juggy is tourney only and hits the piss out of the ball. I'll take a decently priced pre abi bat over most post Abi any day but there are some quality post abi out there. All about feel for you.

AJ22

Super Moderator
I've had pre-abi bats break in less than 25 swings ... I've also had pre-abi bats that were the same make/model as the bats that broke in less than 25 swings last over 1,000's of swings.

Same goes for post-abi bats.

There are going to be different views here. I've seen it both ways.

SacBunt

Addicted to Softballfans
With the exception of one, an scx3 that broke in about 1,000 hits, my pre abi bats have lasted well over 2,500 hits.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
The question underlying the op is:

"What are the structural/design differences between pre-ABI vs. post-ABI bats?

The answer is likely that several techniques are used by different manufacturers, leading to different durability results. For example, changes to the carbon fiber lay-up, amount of resin, and/or thickness of a Kevlar layer could enhance or undermine durability.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I think a lot of bat durability has more to do with the person who owns it than the bat itself. For some reason I don't break many bats at all....I also very rarely hit a ball completely on the handle.....I get some endcap shots....but I don't really hit the ball much off the sweet spot. I also don't hit super hard balls...mostly hit 325/375 compression balls. I don't throw my bat...or hit it against poles to break it in.

I also get a distinct quick ramp up in performance....a peak...and a series decline in performance from almost all my bats except the Miken's.......the rest really die off. When I mean die off.....I mean I can hit 325 compression balls about 20-30ft less after probably 400-500 hits. The bat ramps up quick the first 100-200 hits.....does well for a few hundred and then ramps down. I don't break bats though.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
Has anyone here actually had a post abi bat last 2,3,4000 hits?

I have a 26oz SRV3 that has OVER 3,000 hits by a big hitting teammate of mine. It has a little shark tooth, but has had that for the last 800 or so swings. My 1st Salvo went strong for about 2,500 swings until it would no longer be allowed in games (if anyone ever checked in our leagues) but it went all fall ball and finally blew up at the end of spring. Maybe 3,000+ on that one. I've had 3 SRV4's that all went well over the 2,000 mark. The SRV6BH I toasted had probably 1,500 on it. I have a SSR2 with at least 1,500 on it webbed to high hell.

Like AJ22 said, I've seen it both ways with pre and post abi. I had 3 SSR2's all break within 200 hits each the same weekend, indoors, with good balls. I've had Salvo's break within 500 hits. Same goes with pre-abi. I've had mayhems snap at the taper in 50 hits, an Albin Incinerator where the knob broke off in less than 100 swings, a Combat AV that cracked in 200 swings.

I would also like to add, as long as we talk about durability...... Lets look at the other side of that coin. While the very durable pre abi bat is breaking in and dropping 250' bombs, my NOW Salvo is dropping 300'+ bombs on the very 1st swing. True story bro. So by the time your "durable" pre abi catches up to the same performance level as my post abi bat, I will already be onto my 1st of 2 returns lol. The real kicker though is that from the time the pre abi bat is "trampolining" at the same performance level as the post abi new out of wrapper, the count down until death is the same or less time than what it took to break the post abi bat.

To sum all this up, the total lifespan is longer without a doubt for a Pre-ABI bat. The total lifespan of the bats each performing at peak levels until they break is about the same. IMO.;)

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
I also get a distinct quick ramp up in performance....a peak...and a series decline in performance from almost all my bats except the Miken's.......the rest really die off. When I mean die off.....I mean I can hit 325 compression balls about 20-30ft less after probably 400-500 hits. The bat ramps up quick the first 100-200 hits.....does well for a few hundred and then ramps down. I don't break bats though.

None of this makes any sense whatsoever. :confused::eek::confused::eek::confused: EVERY bat I have had, worth, miken, easton, demarini, combat, albin, has got hotter and hotter until it blows up into pieces. The only time I notice a decline of performance in a composite bat, is probably the last 5-25 swings at most.

ONE exception. I had a buddy that somehow had an internal crack in a SRV3. It is possible to have performance die off without seeing any cracks or anything, but it is SUPER rare IMO.

slider5252

Addicted to Softballfans
The question underlying the op is:

"What are the structural/design differences between pre-ABI vs. post-ABI bats?

The answer is likely that several techniques are used by different manufacturers, leading to different durability results. For example, changes to the carbon fiber lay-up, amount of resin, and/or thickness of a Kevlar layer could enhance or undermine durability.

I believe BigShep is on the right path. I think it is more of a manufacturing thing rather than a pre/post ABI thing. Just check the dead bat threads and see who has more. I'm a huge Demarini fan, but they are probably #2 in the most dead bats to bats owned/sold ratio where as Easton seems to build their bats like tanks. Eastons for some reason seem to have an extremely low failure rate. They also seem to last a really long time prior to failing. Just my 2 cents.

shindig153

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe BigShep is on the right path. I think it is more of a manufacturing thing rather than a pre/post ABI thing. Just check the dead bat threads and see who has more. I'm a huge Demarini fan, but they are probably #2 in the most dead bats to bats owned/sold ratio where as Easton seems to build their bats like tanks. Eastons for some reason seem to have an extremely low failure rate. They also seem to last a really long time prior to failing. Just my 2 cents.

I think easton and miken build their bats like tanks so they can be durable enough to be easily shaved without breaking. In my league the only suspected shaved bats we see are Eastons and Mikens. It's a shame ASA had to change the regs to prevent companies from doing this.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
None of this makes any sense whatsoever. :confused::eek::confused::eek::confused: EVERY bat I have had, worth, miken, easton, demarini, combat, albin, has got hotter and hotter until it blows up into pieces. The only time I notice a decline of performance in a composite bat, is probably the last 5-25 swings at most.

ONE exception. I had a buddy that somehow had an internal crack in a SRV3. It is possible to have performance die off without seeing any cracks or anything, but it is SUPER rare IMO.

This has happened with every bat I have owned. easton, worth, mizuno.....Mikens seem to perform well longer....and close to the same performance from its peak. I had one demarini juice that was amazing until it exploded.

I have most of my experience with USSSA bats.....not as much with ASA.