Project Gloves: Show us your work, BEFORE & AFTER

David the Gnome

The Veteran
looks like 2 really nice options for the kid. i would think that the mesh would be the way to go for him but the security of a basket web would be tough to pass up. great work!
He pitches and plays 3B right now. His current glove is also a basket web and I think that one would work really well for him, but it's really big for a glove stamped 11.75". I'll let him try both out and see which he likes.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Don't you just hate when you're all ready to wrap up a project and realize you're missing something really important? I thought I had plenty of black lace left to do this glove, then I discovered it was actually navy lace once I got it in the light. Now I've got to wait for a new shipment to get here so I can lace this thing back up.

2ywgy7o.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Been there.

Don't you just hate when you're all ready to wrap up a project and realize you're missing something really important? I thought I had plenty of black lace left to do this glove, then I discovered it was actually navy lace once I got it in the light. Now I've got to wait for a new shipment to get here so I can lace this thing back up.

2ywgy7o.jpg

David the Gnome

The Veteran

2ywgy7o.jpg
Sigh... this is why I hate putting down a project and picking it back up again later. I had the job about 90% complete, Just finished lacing up the palm and heel, the only thing I had left was the thumb and picky, usually the easiest parts and safe to leave for last. Well... I forgot what a pain 1799's are, and that the thumb and pinky both happen to have hidden runs which require you to have access to the inside of the palm. So now I'm unlacing the palm and heel, which I had of course already cut to length and will now have the joy of redoing with new lace. I am very thankful that I happened to order more lace than I needed for just this job.

FYI, as a public service announcement to the rest of the board members: Almost nothing on a 1799 is what you would consider "standard", be prepared and stay focused if you are planning to relace one of these. Don't waste tons of lace like I did. :)

Edit: On a quick positive note. I just got my tracking number for my custom A2000. I've got something to look forward to next week at least! :D

David the Gnome

The Veteran
First is the before. My skill at relacing has improved a lot since I originally did this glove and there were things I did wrong that I wanted to fix. I wasn't a huge fan of how the yellow lace was holding up aesthetically and there were places where I didn't lace the glove correctly or use the right type of lace.

15xqrux.jpg

ejx8qa.jpg

2lc1ulg.jpg

Here is the after. I decided to go back to black lace to return it to the stock look and give it a little better long term performance than the yellow lace. I also corrected my previous mistakes, it's as close to factory now as it can be.

6og3g9.jpg

30hvwk3.jpg

2ah5xn6.jpg

145yki.jpg

I need to fix one final thing, and that's to pound down the palm laces. I don't have access to my mallet to do that right now though, so I'll fix it as soon as I'm able.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
a skive that costs a couple bucks is worth it. takes a bit to learn to use well but the end product is nicer than having to pound down palm laces. plus, it's just another ability you can add to your arsenal.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
a skive that costs a couple bucks is worth it. takes a bit to learn to use well but the end product is nicer than having to pound down palm laces. plus, it's just another ability you can add to your arsenal.
Check those laces on the thumb/pinky/wrist/palm/heel again. ;)

Edit: I guess it's hard to see with black on black, but I do skive my laces. Even skived lace needs to be pounded in the palm though.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
2017 Gloveworks x Davis Relacing 12.75”

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Cleaned with Lexol ORANGE and a sponge.
Conditioned with Light coat of Strong Oil
Web swap
Relace with Tenn. Tanners Lace

AFTER:
SFKHrE7.jpg

ETFQCVE.jpg

fpXkP9G.jpg

Agl89V4.jpg

WkiRSBN.jpg

bVuNPif.jpg

WNyHVVj.jpg

q2ZqJbN.jpg

6OJyB6d.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
1986 or 1996 Rawlings PRO-BDFB

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Conditioned with Neatsfoot Oil & Lexol Brown (mixed)
Conditioned with Light coat of Bickmore Saddle Soap

Before
SDI7utd.jpg

FOJnspV.jpg

YeGjo00.jpg

dUxtpRx.jpg

cGXVbmJ.jpg

After
uz3hviJ.jpg

kAPbUvs.jpg

stBZwtf.jpg

h05BnXq.jpg

fRHtT0p.jpg

oPEriap.jpg

hv9mNfv.jpg

EZUzOn2.jpg

lZerQpi.jpg

kUuNntS.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
2000ish Louisville TPX CG1

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Conditioned with Light coat of Bickmore Saddle Soap
Dyed palm with light tan.
Touched up black with Dye on the glove back.

BEFORE:
A3eDaKt.jpg

8c4XrF2.jpg

HcVQXNe.jpg

oi0Hx7c.jpg

Pe4fhHA.jpg

k2BRKJu.jpg

TSQdUQW.jpg

Nj2g3tD.jpg

AFTER:
Oo9lP13.jpg

URcKcp2.jpg

DBDl3IP.jpg

C2KEWPR.jpg

vkqCBad.jpg

JGURH4v.jpg

Paa2Z8E.jpg

Iu8xKCf.jpg

VqctbX5.jpg

DXq2Qxe.jpg

Irke6Pi.jpg

Last edited:

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Wilson A1000 Y-Web 13.00”
This one was a hot mess.

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Conditioned with Light coat of Strong Oil
Repair small tears in leather
Dyed Web with light tan.

Before
9vjUcAl.jpg

1InwALF.jpg

9f8pxAJ.png

AFTER:
rrBCNmB.jpg

1Y8aFyN.jpg

LciAHqz.jpg

tDGJQ5F.jpg

Jo3ZNv7.jpg

PIl2vZC.jpg

SfUqIiC.jpg

SSsOIDQ.jpg

Last edited:

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
I can't answer for Davis, but IMHO, those gloves usually have sentimental meaning to someone.

They are a few guys here that can replace the entire innards of the glove, giving rebirth to a classic or sentimental glove to someone.
Its not cheap, but worth it if its your baby.

For myself, there have been a few that I've bought to replace and honestly the pics weren't good enough, and there are rips, tears, etc, elongated holes, and at that point, I feel to someone who makes wallets/ or something out of them.

This A1000 was close, it only cost $15-20 bucks, so its a good backup to keep in my trunk now.
F

Fred you do great work man. How often do you or @davisrelacing get gloves in that aren't worth relacing? Basically, the value of the glove is less than the cost of the relace.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Wilson A2K 1799

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Cleaned again with Light coat of Bickmore Saddle Soap
Waiting on brown lace….should come today.

BEFORE:

ynRD8aO.jpg

0TesljZ.jpg

JHkhiLG.jpg

qWx4Dzi.jpg

MIDDLE:

dqwc7xI.jpg

RFBEGFL.jpg

jTYiKzJ.jpg

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
They are a few guys here that can replace the entire innards of the glove, giving rebirth to a classic For myself, there have been a few that I've bought to replace and honestly the pics weren't good enoug, and there are rips, tears, etc, elongated holes, and at that point, I feel to someone who makes wallets/ or something out of them.

This A1000 was close, it only cost $15-20 bucks, so its a good backup to keep in my trunk now.
F
For myself, there have been a few that I've bought to replace and honestly the pics weren't good enough, and there are rips, tears, etc, elongated holes, and at that point, I feel to someone who makes wallets/ or something out of them.
F

Any you come across like that, please let me know.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Wilson A2K 1799

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Relaced with Brown Lace

BEFORE:

ynRD8aO.jpg

0TesljZ.jpg

JHkhiLG.jpg

qWx4Dzi.jpg

MIDDLE:

dqwc7xI.jpg

RFBEGFL.jpg

jTYiKzJ.jpg

AFTER
sg3Og0e.jpg

Ha9G2FH.jpg

AiVo9HT.jpg

zVCZovq.jpg

zq5yfkP.jpg

EdI12Zh.jpg

ymxjXK8.jpg

171058P.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
SSK SUS-20121
12.00"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
...More to come

BEFORE:
WV9uPqF.jpg

lnOfapE.jpg

E2bMvZ6.jpg

Wilson A2000 KP92
12.5"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
...More to come

BEFORE:
96t2EMH.jpg

YYZ6WAy.jpg

LWVr33G.jpg

IBRaRtB.jpg

sQLxsyW.jpg

QHG0F8h.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Louisville Icon Series IC1275
12.75"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Cleaned again with Light coat of Bickmore Saddle Soap/Mixed with N.O.
Relaced with Tenn. Tanners lace

BEFORE:
ZTzjpbF.jpg

8DP4p3Q.jpg

mbD4fkL.jpg

4XtPJaT.jpg

cFM39DL.jpg

JpfJLSk.jpg

AFTER:
WQjs0kx.jpg

eh9jwwM.jpg

ZENlW0b.jpg

9GYnTlO.jpg

hRHcNT7.jpg

h60g3wn.jpg

LWouf5k.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Wilson A2000 KP92
12.5"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Black Dye
Conditioned NF Oil Mix with Lexol Brown
Relace with Tan Lace

BEFORE:
96t2EMH.jpg

YYZ6WAy.jpg

LWVr33G.jpg

IBRaRtB.jpg

sQLxsyW.jpg

QHG0F8h.jpg

Gtp3mvP.jpg

cN7lDiA.jpg

AFTER
rm0aR87.jpg

UkIjFqB.jpg

YD6OWzX.jpg

X6H3rQm.jpg

EY5Ci0g.jpg

XEKjjYP.jpg

pGmQcnL.jpg

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure what kind of red ink/dye got splashed onto this one. Couldn't remove it, so decided to change it from blonde to brown with blonde laces.
[GALLERY=media, 33567]20190723_210044 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33568]20190723_210025 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33569]20191124_163358 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33570]20191124_163250 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:43 PM[/GALLERY]

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Looks great, what color dye did you use?
F

Not sure what kind of red ink/dye got splashed onto this one. Couldn't remove it, so decided to change it from blonde to brown with blonde laces.
[GALLERY=media, 33567]20190723_210044 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33568]20190723_210025 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33569]20191124_163358 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 33570]20191124_163250 by Dan240 posted Nov 24, 2019 at 4:43 PM[/GALLERY]

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
Eco Flo Java Brown from Tandy. I had made a wallet with it and liked how the color came out. I did a test spot with that and a lighter brown, but the lighter color didn't cover the red too well.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Louisville Slugger TP, P1200T Horween
12.00"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Cleaned with Bickmore Saddle Soap
Conditioned with Mizuno Strong Oil

...more to come

XGTBwCo.jpg

lDcClGK.jpg

rgW6XWJ.jpg

WLUUBt0.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Louisville Slugger TPX Hybrid, XH1275GG (Green)
12.75"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
...more to come

es7q9fH.jpg

Z13Serj.jpg

5vRsb1u.jpg

JCfYRi0.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Louisville Slugger TPX Hybrid, XH1275GG (Green)
12.75"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
Conditioned with Mix of NF oil/ Lexol Conditioner
Laced in Different 2-Piece web (original web was torn)
Laced with Tanners Lace

Before:
es7q9fH.jpg

Z13Serj.jpg

5vRsb1u.jpg

JCfYRi0.jpg

AFTER:
J9WlS2a.jpg

7OJhJhW.jpg

u44kfKD.jpg

7mx8MSX.jpg

idLettM.jpg

U6rbksq.jpg

iTyXj8z.jpg

3YimtnV.jpg

sI7Kky3.jpg

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Rawlings Pro Preferred PROS601BG #449 (Black/Gray)
12.75"

PROCESS:
Cut out laces.
...more to come

Before:
zt2f19z.jpg

UinalJT.jpg

AZlJV0P.jpg

awodLIY.jpg

9C7e0NC.jpg

p2QL0Rz.jpg

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
that 601 looks like it needs some conditioning more than anything.

how did you work on the mesh of the TPX?

Learning how to tie the knots right might help...:)