Protein and Supplements

halter91

Iam91
My question is about Whey Protein. When should you take it, how often? I've been taking a Muscle Milk shake after I work out, I also heard you should take it more then once a day and on your days off? Anyone know what works best? My diet isn't the best, but isn't horrible bad.

NAILBOMB9

Addicted to Softballfans
My question is about Whey Protein. When should you take it, how often? I've been taking a Muscle Milk shake after I work out, I also heard you should take it more then once a day and on your days off? Anyone know what works best? My diet isn't the best, but isn't horrible bad.

Definately after a workout. A lot of people take a protein shake before also, but a good meal is better IMO. Diet is the biggest key man.

AMCsoldier

Addicted to Softballfans
Either early in the day (a few hours before a workout), or immediately after the workout.

I mix in some casein protein with whole milk in the morning, as it is more slowly and evenly digested than whey. Then, 14oz of whole milk and a scoop of whey right after working out.

mitchell

Addicted to Softballfans
first thing in the morning, you probably havent ate in atleast 6 hours since you've been asleep and your body is breaking down your muscles for the amino acids to power other organs. as far as being worried about carbs and sugar, the carbs are good energy and the sugar will boost your metabolism to make you digest the protein faster. if you are looking to lose weight then i would consider changing

fun3size

Star Player
This is all great information. I'm a petite chick and when I'm done playing I'm starving as hell and have been looking at supplements and shakes but wasn't sure what to buy, what's worth buying and when I should take them.

Thanks for the info guys!

crawl13

Addicted to Softballfans
Myofusion is a decent profile protein; if you can find the right deals; bannana perfection or cookies n cream are awesome

Lman924

Addicted to Softballfans
I use optimum nutrition. Your supposed to eat and supplement your body weight or more in grams of protein to build muscle. I take a scoop and a half before and after my workouts and a scoop and a half of casein before i go to bed.

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
I never took supplements in HS or college, but now that I look back I wish I could have. Got back in to working out this year and I cannot believe how much more muscle mass you can build with protein. I take Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (the double chocolate is awesome) first thing in the morning and then immediately after working out.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
Got turned on to Dymatize Elite Gourmet from this site. I'm sold. Tastes great, is a caseine/whey blend, and cost is affordable as well.

CoachStall

Curled Bill & Oakleys
What do you mix your powders with? Water, juice, milk, mix of things?

Does each product suggest what you should mix with?

PracticeSquad7

Addicted to Softballfans
If anybody wants some good info on good supplements, PM me. I have the in on some great pre-workout supplements that I've used and can REALLY tell a difference when I do and don't use. I'm not trying to build, so I don't take protein beyond my normal diet, but can also get you some great product info on post-workout stuff.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
Whey Protein alone is fast absorbing so best time is upon waking to get into positive nitrogen balance, and immediately after working out to get protien into your muscle so to speak. Casien (Milk) protein takes longer to absorb and is typically better for right before bed, so you have some digesting while you are sleeping.

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
I never took supplements in HS or college, but now that I look back I wish I could have. Got back in to working out this year and I cannot believe how much more muscle mass you can build with protein. I take Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (the double chocolate is awesome) first thing in the morning and then immediately after working out.

try delicious strawberry, especially if you drink any of your shakes with milk..... OHMIGAWD!!!!! I never was a fan of the ON choc. flavors, but the C-n-C and vanilla ice cream are great when mixed with water and the strawberry.... well i wouldnt recommend it with water, but with milk its like a beautiful and young Jennifer Aniston blowing in your mouf! :D

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
If anybody wants some good info on good supplements, PM me. I have the in on some great pre-workout supplements that I've used and can REALLY tell a difference when I do and don't use. I'm not trying to build, so I don't take protein beyond my normal diet, but can also get you some great product info on post-workout stuff.

does it come with the needles or we got to buy seperate?? ;)

ironbelle

Addicted to Softballfans
Myofusion is a decent profile protein; if you can find the right deals; bannana perfection or cookies n cream are awesome

X2 for Myofusion. I get 5lb container for under 40.00. The chocolate tastes the best. I'm scared to try any other flavors because the chocolate mint was a bust and I have to endure 5lbs of it! A scoop of chocolate mixed in a bowl of Greek yogurt, put it in the freezer for 45 minutes and it tastes like softserve.

ironbelle

Addicted to Softballfans
Whey Protein alone is fast absorbing so best time is upon waking to get into positive nitrogen balance, and immediately after working out to get protien into your muscle so to speak. Casien (Milk) protein takes longer to absorb and is typically better for right before bed, so you have some digesting while you are sleeping.

X2. Due to budget restraints, I don't buy a separate whey and casein so I use whey for day use and after workouts and then was eating cottage cheese before going to bed for the slow release casein properties to keep me nurished while sleep.

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
X2 for Myofusion. I get 5lb container for under 40.00. The chocolate tastes the best. I'm scared to try any other flavors because the chocolate mint was a bust and I have to endure 5lbs of it! A scoop of chocolate mixed in a bowl of Greek yogurt, put it in the freezer for 45 minutes and it tastes like softserve.

X2. Due to budget restraints, I don't buy a separate whey and casein so I use whey for day use and after workouts and then was eating cottage cheese before going to bed for the slow release casein properties to keep me nurished while sleep.

You sound like my brother in law. He does these exact same things with his protein powders.