Pulled back During Dead Lifts

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
How do you warm up prior to deads?

I keep it last on my workout on back day. Tried to get one last rep on 275 and felt my muscle stretch like a tshirt tearing in tackle football.

Lots of stiffness today.

I normally start at 255 but stuck 275 on by accident then shrugged my shoulders when I realized I had done it. My last DL sets are with 295 so I shrugged it off as a stregth increase day.

I did some 120# SDLs and was able to do full range of motion, so that's incouraging.

wcoastsoftball

Might be better off moving to different KB and DB deadlift variations. I don't know your training background, but if I was getting issues with 275, I would think twice about whether my body was designed to do it.

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
I haven't been doing them a ton and slacked on sticking out my chest throughout the lift. laziness coupled with heavier weight. My mistake.

I have a 500lbs DL goal. Current max is 365

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
The DL is the most technical of the big three movements in my opinion. The form is hard to master and even when you master the form slipping to bad form is easy to do. My "work weight" is usually in the mid to high 400s. I'll warm up by doing one maybe two reps 135, 225, 315, 375, then maybe one higher depending on how I feel. This is all after I foam roll and do mobility before the workout.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
i dont do dead lift......that's how i dont get hurt doing it. i honestly think i'm in the 1% for arm length and it's impossible for me to keep good form so i dont do it w/ anyting other than light weight....maybe 225 tops. ya...i'm huge

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I haven't been doing them a ton and slacked on sticking out my chest throughout the lift. laziness coupled with heavier weight. My mistake.

I have a 500lbs DL goal. Current max is 365

You might want to video your deadlift so people can critique it.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Video sounds like a good idea. Also, may want to switch deadlift to the first exercise you do on back day, power movements first. My warm up is pretty simple, it's about a 7min jog to the gym, and on back day I use the rowing machine (er-ging???) for 5-10mins.

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
My back exercises aren't that hard up until that point, as I do a lot of DB work and my DBs don't go above 70#s (140 total).

I really haven't taxed my back at that point.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
I am buying a row machine for Xmas....cause I gotzta have that cobra back..ssssss....sssssss. Purple style, bitches. We will rock you

Darracq

I keep it last on my workout on back day. Tried to get one last rep on 275 and felt my muscle stretch like a tshirt tearing in tackle football.

Lots of stiffness today.

I normally start at 255 but stuck 275 on by accident then shrugged my shoulders when I realized I had done it. My last DL sets are with 295 so I shrugged it off as a stregth increase day.

I did some 120# SDLs and was able to do full range of motion, so that's incouraging.

YOu should start at 135 at most do 3-5 reps then 185 for a couple then 225 then do your work sets, couple years ago all i did was every week warm up like that and try to do as heavy a single as i could got up to 425. i was 165 lbs and a little over 6 foot, not built for it at all. long legs. ma\\

Make sure you keep your form strick if you start to round quit the lift.

\\

The DL is the most technical of the big three movements in my opinion. The form is hard to master and even when you master the form slipping to bad form is easy to do. My "work weight" is usually in the mid to high 400s. I'll warm up by doing one maybe two reps 135, 225, 315, 375, then maybe one higher depending on how I feel. This is all after I foam roll and do mobility before the workout.

My warm up is closest to this. Couple differences: my training weight is around 355. I do 8 reps @ 135, 225, 315, 355, 225, 135.

At 135 and 225 I bang them out 8 in a row. At the higher weights I do one at a time (lift, set down, walk away) until I hit 8. Takes a little longer but makes you break the inertia every time instead of using momentum. Also, you can concentrate on your form 1 lift at a time.

Hope this helps.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
My warm up is closest to this. Couple differences: my training weight is around 355. I do 8 reps @ 135, 225, 315, 355, 225, 135.

At 135 and 225 I bang them out 8 in a row. At the higher weights I do one at a time (lift, set down, walk away) until I hit 8. Takes a little longer but makes you break the inertia every time instead of using momentum. Also, you can concentrate on your form 1 lift at a time.

Hope this helps.

What is your reasoning behind doing so many reps?

What is your reasoning behind doing so many reps?

The First 2 sets are a light and intermediate warm ups.

The 315 and 355 are the real work sets. The last 2, are called "backoff sets" used by Bulgarian weight lifters. I don't always do the last set at 135.

Jake 99

Living the dream!

Lots of stiffness today.

Why would you do deadlifts last on anyday? Nothing you do will recruit more muscles so doing it last when everything is fatigued is just asking for trouble. Always start with the big lifts and work down to smaller lifts during a training session.

Jigokumimi

Addicted to Softballfans
I am buying a row machine for Xmas....cause I gotzta have that cobra back..ssssss....sssssss. Purple style, bitches. We will rock you
Dunno about a cobra back, but I'm tempted to go out & get some kind of rowing machine. My Dad used to have all kinds of lower-back problems, and once he was out on a fishing trip and started rowing, and the pain just faded away. He figured he'd try a rowing machine, and sure enough, the (back) aches & pains have NEVER returned. Anybody else experience this?

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I can give my .02.

Here is my suggestions.

1) Warm up by using light weights and then increasing the weights. so I go up by 90lbs increments. I do this on a heavy work out day.

I do a regular grip and sumo grip thats why I do the X2.
135lbs (x5) x2
225lbs (x5) x2
315 (x5) x2
405lbs (x3) x2
495lbs (x1) x2
585lbs (x1)
635lbs (x1)
495 (x1) X2
405lbs (x3) X2

I only do a few reps above 80% of my 1 rep max.....you get at tops 4 reps above 80% and you are done. I don't care how good you feel, back off the weight.

I do heavy deads about once every 1.5 months to 2 months.

I normally do what I call speed deadlifts. my sets and reps are close to above but I do a lot more of 405lbs deadlifts moving the weight fast. I do 3 reps each set and I do 6 sets (3 sumo, 3 regular) and sometimes snatch, and I rest the weight on the ground and reset every time I lift the weight in a set.

I set up to the bar with the bar exactly in the middle of my foot. That means close to my ankles as its literally in the middle of my foot, not middle of what is in front of my ankle...but whole foot.

I bend straight down and grab the bar. I then bend over my hips and legs till my shins touch the bar. I keep my head and spine in a neutral position (not facing up) neck and spine aligned which means head slightly down and inline with spine.

I then pull through my heels and pull the weight into my body scraping the bar along my shins. When weights get heavy I sometimes have my shins bleed if the bar is sharp enough. you leverage your body weight back when you pull. form does slip when the weight gets super heavy. when you start your whole body should be behind the bar...even shoulders should be behind or close.

If you want to increase your deadlift, do lots of front squats, good mornings, glute ham raises, squats, etc. rotate them....never do all in one work out. It's called the "conjugate" method....strengthen the pieces in the lift to better the lift.

amazing lift for his weight and good form.

Last edited by a moderator:

gatesnapper

Addicted to Softballfans

Hope this helps.

I was taught you should use a bit of momentum. not quite bouncing the weight on the floor.

???

do you guys switch your grip?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I was taught you should use a bit of momentum. not quite bouncing the weight on the floor.

???

do you guys switch your grip?

I go over/over due to the bicep tear risk of the over/under grip. I'm not competing in any powerlifting events so if I'm lifting too much for my grip I will use straps on occasion.
Just one of the dozens of bicep tear videos you can find on youtube down during deadlifts.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSNuts48

Badass
Could tight hips be associated with his back problems? Since his hips could be tight it could be putting more stress on his back?

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Could tight hips be associated with his back problems? Since his hips could be tight it could be putting more stress on his back?

Could be. In today's society, tight hip flexors and tight lower back tend to go together (lower-cross syndrome). Not sure we have enough info to say in this instance though.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
I go over/over due to the bicep tear risk of the over/under grip. I'm not competing in any powerlifting events so if I'm lifting too much for my grip I will use straps on occasion.

I do the same thing minus the straps since I don't have any. I like the double over, it is fun.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans

I don't think so. You will have a sore back later on from a hip that isn't aligned.

I think he is doing the lift incorrect or setting up incorrectly.

I have taught this lift to a lot of people at my gym. Most had back pain before, and I worked with them in one session and eliminated their back pain all together.

A lot of people line up to the bar incorrectly with the weight too far in front of them, they also try to lift the weight too far from their body. They tend to lift their butt first and end up using their back to lift the weight the last 70% of the lift. They also start out with their shoulders too far in front of the bar.

I trained a guy who is strong, and he was hitting 455lbs deads but with back pain.

I had him change his lifting technique and he lifted 545lbs without back pain during the same session.

squats are another lift people massively screw up.