Retirement? When Will You Stop Playing?

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
My dad and uncles were very different from each other but seem to sum up the three categories I see:

#1: My dad was Centerfielder who hit for power and had good arm and good speed. Broke his ankle, lost speed. Played third for a few years, still could hit, still good arm. Tore rotator cuff. Couldnt throw overhand no more, lost alot of power, pitched for couple more years and didnt like not being able to hit like he used to or play anything but pitcher and first so stopped. Came back for one year to play with my younger brother. Done upper 30's

#2: My uncle played alot of second and third with some good tourney teams here in Michigan. Good bat. Mid 40's realized wasnt what he used to be and stopped playing tourneys but still played around 3 nights a week and started pitching and fielding middle well. Phased out gradually as he got sick of BS like dirty bats and people crying about hitting the middle. Got sick in low 50's and dont play anymore.

#3: Played Right Center in some high level ball, then right, then first, then catcher. Still gets on base at will but liability in field and on base paths, but has a good time and will probably play til he can't walk not letting declining skills bother him.

Are you play til I die guy, will be ok with declining into you're awful guy then stop, or first sign of declining cant handle it and jump ship guy?

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Depends what you mean by retirement.

This year is probably going to be my last year playing tourney ball. I'm 36 years old, I have a 14 month old son and we are planning on having another. I have had 2 knee surgeries, 1 back surgery, may need another knee surgery this year, have been playing with a torn rotator cuff for last the 5 years. At one point in my life I was a C level shortstop, now I am a 2b/1b or XH. I am still a good consistent hitter with a good OBP and a knowledge of how to play the game right. I may come back to play some 40+ in a couple of years and see if I can win a ring playing seniors but for now its retirement from tourney ball.

If by retirement you mean not playing any softball at all, I will be one of those guys who plays til he absolutely can't play anymore. I love the game and I will continue to play league for as long as my body will allow. My goal is to play league long enough that I can play ball with my son. I was 35 when he was born so that will mean playing into my 50s. I have played in a number of World Tournaments and a decent number of "meaningful" games but the games I will always remember was playing rec singlewall with my dad. Turning a 4-6-3 double play with my dad playing 2b and me at ss was probably my single favorite memory playing softball.

Treb

Retired
2012 was my last year of tourney ball. All I do is a Monday night league. About 20 games a year.

-Six-

Weiner
I cant wait to play with my kids. So probably until they wont let me play with them anymore.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends what you mean by retirement.

This year is probably going to be my last year playing tourney ball. I'm 36 years old, I have a 14 month old son and we are planning on having another. I have had 2 knee surgeries, 1 back surgery, may need another knee surgery this year, have been playing with a torn rotator cuff for last the 5 years. At one point in my life I was a C level shortstop, now I am a 2b/1b or XH. I am still a good consistent hitter with a good OBP and a knowledge of how to play the game right. I may come back to play some 40+ in a couple of years and see if I can win a ring playing seniors but for now its retirement from tourney ball.

If by retirement you mean not playing any softball at all, I will be one of those guys who plays til he absolutely can't play anymore. I love the game and I will continue to play league for as long as my body will allow. My goal is to play league long enough that I can play ball with my son. I was 35 when he was born so that will mean playing into my 50s. I have played in a number of World Tournaments and a decent number of "meaningful" games but the games I will always remember was playing rec singlewall with my dad. Turning a 4-6-3 double play with my dad playing 2b and me at ss was probably my single favorite memory playing softball.

know what you mean. My favorite softball moment is my dad, me, and my uncle going back to back to back to end a championship game for a local tournament and placing at church nationals with a team that 9/12 players were immediate family

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Good points from everyone. I see alot of my dad in me. Enjoy the game, but cant play outfield much cuz knees and on nights im catching or playing first bored out of my mind. He was steadfast when I cant hit, throw, or run my own bases im out and for a while was weird seeing him just stop when he was in the upper quarter of players I knew still but that frustrated over his arm

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
Stopped playing tournaments around 33 when my daughters started playing travel fastpitch. Freaking club ball is expensive. Play mostly mens rec, coed now and the few local fund rasier tournaments we have. I have one daughter old enough to play coed in the fall with the other one a couple years behind her. I cant wait to play ball with them. I will probably play as long as I can.

onlyworth10

I Quit
I quit last year due to my knees. It got to the point to where the meds and booze wasn't numbing the pain. I started coach a Select Fastpitch team and don't have any regrets. I can still hit it well and feild my position but the wear and tear on my body isn't worth it anymore.. Done at age 32.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
2012 was my last year of tourney ball. All I do is a Monday night league. About 20 games a year.

***. you're too good to not play.

they'll have to cart me off the field. i'm not the same player at 33 than i was at 22, but who is? i can still keep up with them. to hell with going out like barry sanders.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
I quit last year due to my knees. It got to the point to where the meds and booze wasn't numbing the pain. I started coach a Select Fastpitch team and don't have any regrets. I can still hit it well and feild my position but the wear and tear on my body isn't worth it anymore.. Done at age 32.

Usually do 4 shots before game 1 and between games as needed. Had a tournament team I picked up with ask me to come back but also say they dont drink while they play so have to cut that out. Told them with my knees its what gets me on the field

Puma

Addicted to Softballfans
I am 46 and still playing thought about retirement but my 17 year old wanted to play. Having a ball playing with him on my team he just keeps getting better and stronger. I said I would retire win I could not hit a home run. Still hitting bombs.

Chimpy

Star Player
Usually do 4 shots before game 1 and between games as needed. Had a tournament team I picked up with ask me to come back but also say they dont drink while they play so have to cut that out. Told them with my knees its what gets me on the field

I love this.

I have to stop doing shots before games, in winter I was getting so ripped, I couldn't run around the bases or make easy catches in the field lol. But it's just fun to do a couple shots before the game.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
I retired from tourney ball this year after moving to Houston. I dont even have the itch to play anymore so much less drama in my life now.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
My goal is to play 55+ state as a D level player, if the body/skill set says no before that the shoes go on the dish

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
I love this.

I have to stop doing shots before games, in winter I was getting so ripped, I couldn't run around the bases or make easy catches in the field lol. But it's just fun to do a couple shots before the game.

For me its pain management. Enough beer to mask it means its sloshing around in stomach. Shots is magic. Ripken was a punk. Id play 3,000 games in a row with cortisone. Think I played around 400 between april and october last year with nothing but jameson and desire on my side lol

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
A guy in my coed rec work league is 85 ****ing years old and still playing/pitching. He is one hell of an accurate pitcher who can hit the corners & back of the strike zone at will. While his fielding skills have diminished a bit you got to be a real ******* to hit middle on an 85 year old; that & he's got a couple big-ass dudes on his team so nobody even thinks of going there. He has no power but his OBP is well over 0.650 & he's always up for drinking pints with the rest of us after games.

That's how its going to be for me. As long as I can still play a position (1st, catcher, pitcher) & get on base more than 60% of the time I will be out there.
JJ

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I've tried to retire the past 2 years, but effing Trip keeps talking me back into it. I'm done with men's league and tournaments, actually turned down a team about 30 minutes ago. If I play anything anymore, it'll be coed

It's either going to be injury or my son getting into sports - and the requirements that will take. I'd guess probably three more tournament seasons and as long as I can find a spot for leagues.

I'm keeping hope alive for 5000 career games.

Treb

Retired
***. you're too good to not play.

they'll have to cart me off the field. i'm not the same player at 33 than i was at 22, but who is? i can still keep up with them. to hell with going out like barry sanders.

not anymore. i get about 80 swings a year. i'd need a lot of BP to get back to where i was. lol i had fun with it while it lasted.

JohnnyH

Addicted to Softballfans
I might play a league when my speed goes but that's it. As far as tournaments, I realize that any game could be my last.

kampy

Addicted to Softballfans
Ill still play league for a few more years, but tournament ball is all but done. I played in a local fund raiser with my brother-in -law last year and that was it. I'm starting to play more and more golf

tkr18

Addicted to Softballfans
I've either evolved or devolved, depending upon how you look at it, into playing 1 or 2 nights a week and a few senior tourneys if someone can put a team together this upcoming season.

What skills I had are on the other side of the hill....just glad to hook up with some old buddies as long as someone else runs the show.

On the other hand, am loving the opportunity to see my 8 year old princess do gymnastics and swim meets in the off season and play ball in season

whogotz

dilligaf?
glad i love fishing in case i have to quit early, goal is to play senior ball. want to hear my grandkids cheer me on.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm 32 and my legs are just about cooked from all the sports i've been playing my whole life. I've torn acl/mcl/medial meniscus, torn iliotibial band and lateral meniscus in my left knee. Torn left calf muscle, osteochondral lesion of the talus, left foot. been dealing with that for 2 years, need to get it scoped this year, gonna start out with a cortisone shot and see how it reacts. All the while the cartilage in my right knee has been wearing down more and more over the years.

I love playing ball but at a certain point you have to think about your future. I don't know what point that is for me but if I can't get my foot fixed and feeling better, i'm done with tourneys. I'll always play league ball in some capacity just to hang with friends, that becomes more and more what this is about for me as years go on. I love to hike and go mountain climbing with the wife and none of that really bothers my legs, but all the start/stop sprinting in softball is what they can't really take anymore.

HarryL Southpaw

Addicted to Softballfans
Pushing 40 (will turn in Nov) with no wife nor kids....gonna keep on trucking' until I can. I cut down to 2 nights a week from 3 however.

IMD28

The Veteran
I'm only 35 and have 'retired' twice already. Previous retirements were due to family and business but I can't escape the itch to be playing ball. Last summer I got roped back in to some church league ball (wooden bats are fun) but then that led to playing tournaments with some guys I used to play with. At this point I'm going to play as much as I can over the next few years and will then play as long as my body will allow. Once the body won't allow it, I will likely just coach as I do enjoy that aspect as well.

1maset1

Manager
ill never retire 22 years old 5 years under my belt and going strong, idc how bad my knees get ill always be able to hit lol only thing that will stop me will be a casket

Chimpy

Star Player
For me its pain management. Enough beer to mask it means its sloshing around in stomach. Shots is magic. Ripken was a punk. Id play 3,000 games in a row with cortisone. Think I played around 400 between april and october last year with nothing but jameson and desire on my side lol

I had a little too much 1800, Jack Daniels and some Barcardi silver this past year. But not for pain, just for fun, lol.

Not that I don't have pains...