Retirement? When Will You Stop Playing?

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
A guy in my coed rec work league is 85 ****ing years old and still playing/pitching. He is one hell of an accurate pitcher who can hit the corners & back of the strike zone at will. While his fielding skills have diminished a bit you got to be a real ******* to hit middle on an 85 year old; that & he's got a couple big-ass dudes on his team so nobody even thinks of going there. He has no power but his OBP is well over 0.650 & he's always up for drinking pints with the rest of us after games.

That's how its going to be for me. As long as I can still play a position (1st, catcher, pitcher) & get on base more than 60% of the time I will be out there.
JJ

Man of my heart. 81 and still playing 4 times a week. Turned myself into a pretty good pitcher and can still hit for average. Lost a lot of distance but can occasionally pop one with my PST especially with the 52/300 balls.

If you love the game and can still handle yourself on the field then you never quit.

QBA-RCN

Getting older sucks!!
Gonna be a long time before I stop. I still enjoy having a few beers, talking crap with my friends and just be out there. Plus the fact my wife plays and I still get the chance to play with my son at times. Been to World tourney's, had the chance to play in a few different states, met some really great people along the way and I'm still having fun.

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm gonna play until both of my kids are old or big enough to play with me. Then once I stop having fun I'm done. Just hope that I'll still be able to play at a high level when the kids can play.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Im 43 (will be 44 in July)... always thought when I was 35, I would play a year or two more. Well, almost 9 years later (and probably most importantly 3 rings later), I am still playing. Ive always said if I get to the point to where I really cannot get the job done out there, then I will retire. I do put in a lot of work off the field (cardio, and weight lifting). Back when I was 25-30, I really never had to put in the work off of the field to be able to play at a high level. I know now, if I slacked off, and gained 20-30lbs, my days of tournament ball would probably be over.

I will say this though, when you get older, you appreciate things (softball wise) that you never really even consider when you are younger. You appreciate the relationships with the guys, and with other players&teams. When we won the ISA World last year, I truly was happier for the guys I played with than myself. Watching how happy everybody was really is something I will never forget.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought that I was done after my ankle surgery. Then I found 35+ wood bat baseball and was done with softball in my mind. Decided to play both the next year which made for HORRIBLE hitting in both. I was too slow in baseball and too quick in softball. I pulled my groin and then pulled the crap out of my quad/hip flexor on the same leg and was too dumb to go to the doctor so running hard is a chore now.

Decided that baseball was what I was going to do and no more softball. Then my team disbanded and I moved 1 1/2 hours from where the league is. Back to softball. 4 games in I tore my right bicep (my throwing arm) and was pretty sure that I was done for good. Then I got the itch and decide that 3 months post op and with all of my PT done I would play with a bunch of friends for fun. Hit OK but had to get my tee out after the game and proceeded to hit a line drive about 10' off the ground that was still not sinking when it cleared the 280' fence. Now I am excited about playing this year.

Running will still be a ???? and I don't know how my arm will react to throwing. But I can still catch the ball and can still hit. I may need to learn how to pitch but I will play as long as I can. Even if it's just church league or something like that.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Just turned 62 and I should have stopped a while ago. I will keep going until it's absolutely no fun.

I was thinking I'd be able to play a season or two with my grandkids in about five years but.....it's not much fun when I can't hit the ****ing ball. Add that to my blinding speed and supernatural ability to one hop the SS and I'm a DP magnet.

2 (the last two) for 8 with one DP last night. Thank God the opponents sucked and we won both games.

One of these days I'll just get frustrated and say **** it.

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
my dad quit at 36, after playing first, and going up for a high throw and got freight trained by "Big Louie"...6'6" 275 dynamo..totally creamed him. I'm 53 and play at a pretty reasonable level, certainly not where I was in my twenties and thirties, but I could play with the kids, and have been asked, I just don't like that league, and the field they play on, so I stick to twice a week senior ball and a couple tournaments a year...I'm one of the "young" guys in our senior league. Not sure when I'll stop...I guess, best scenario, seize up and croak after hitting a GS to win the game in the bottom of the 9th, after making a diving catch in the outfield and throwing out some fool trying to tag to end the top of the inning....:)

second2noone

will probably stop playing soon...Kids getting bigger and their sports getting more serious...HAHAHA I don't mind retiring just waiting for a good excuse too... I'm still decent and lost 30 pounds so much better shape than when I was 30.

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
Im 43 (will be 44 in July)... always thought when I was 35, I would play a year or two more. Well, almost 9 years later (and probably most importantly 3 rings later), I am still playing. Ive always said if I get to the point to where I really cannot get the job done out there, then I will retire. I do put in a lot of work off the field (cardio, and weight lifting). Back when I was 25-30, I really never had to put in the work off of the field to be able to play at a high level. I know now, if I slacked off, and gained 20-30lbs, my days of tournament ball would probably be over.

I will say this though, when you get older, you appreciate things (softball wise) that you never really even consider when you are younger. You appreciate the relationships with the guys, and with other players&teams. When we won the ISA World last year, I truly was happier for the guys I played with than myself. Watching how happy everybody was really is something I will never forget.

This reminded me...the twenty five or so year round local guys in my senior league are probably the best friends I've ever had, with a few exceptions...but yeah, the relationships we build, particularly as we get older, are far more precious to me than my batting average, fielding percentage, or RBI total...love these guys.

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
37 and probably going to retire soon. Difficulty judging the ball in the OF, too slow to react to you monsters hitting bullets at me in the IF.
Even in league ball, batters top to bottom, purposely target me in the OF :(

Trophy Hunter15

Addicted to Softballfans
35 & it seems every fall at the end of the year I find myself questioning how much longer I'll play. Truthfully I think it helps keep me going & motivates me to stay in shape.So hopefully a few more years if my body & job allow it.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
66 and still playing although down to 1st & 3rd now.....no outfield until a knee gets fixed....still have the power and the desire along with pretty successful situational hitting....my Dad played until he was 65 with all ages and I find myself doing that now at 66 playing with/against college guys - I'm the only 50+ ...always wanted to match him - now I've passed him.....for those of you that want to last to play with your kids - do it even if it's only a local league - I played in my Dad's league at 15 - bootlegged in.....got to play one game with my son over the years (different states) and it was one game I will always treasure......at one time had my Dad and 2 cousins that I played ball with....now I'm the only one left (breathing) - keep it up as long as you can......what else are you going to do - power lift your remote?????

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Til I am no longer wanted or needed. They must be desperate cuz still going.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Still having fun at 42 and its a good excuse to stay in shape. Shoulder surgery in '12 didn't make me want to quit...

1four

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure what will take me off the field if not an injury or something like that. I am 44 and still playing competitive at a high level around these parts. I guess when I feel that I cannot contribute anymore or it isn't fun or worth the time.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
I'll play until it no longer becomes fun or I am physically not capable of playing at a high level.

blldwg23

Coach
You never retire. I have attempted to retire twice. One of those time I quit for about 6 years or better. But you always come back.

marshall

Addicted to Softballfans
34, retired from tourney ball a couple years ago. I've been contemplating retiring all together lately. I manage a couple teams and this season (starts in a month) I picked up a few extra players so I don't have to play as much or at all. I know if I stop managing the team it'll be hard to get them back together if I change my mind a season or two down the road. This way I can get a little break and see if I am ready to retire from the game or not. My reason... it hasn't been fun the past few seasons. Feels like an obligation anymore.

CATMAN18

GET SINISTER
47 and just league ball now. I have some injuries that put a end to tourny's. What are the names of your dad and uncle, i may have played against/with them.

CHROME DOME

Addicted to Softballfans
At 46 took a year off, at 47 played in a senior league. Don't know if I will play this year. Have a 12 year old daughter that's a pretty good little player. Have absolutely fell in love with the fastpitch game. Might play again when the kid is done.