Rotator cuff exercise's

Snead13

Manager
Have been having rotator cuff problems for about a yr now... Just trying to see what exercise's yal know that will help Strengthen*it up without having surgery..

On a hard throw from the outfield it's a sharp pain an my fingers go numb an tingles for a while

Throwing hard from SS rarely bothers it tho, jus a lil pain

THANX

smalls04

Addicted to Softballfans
Same exact symtoms for years... went to a therapist. After some other tests that I passed with no pain, she had me hold my arm up as if throwing (upper arm straight out from body and parallel to ground, forearm straight up in the air, so my elbow was 90*... like I was doing a military press). She pulled my hand back, rotating my shoulder to see if it hurt...

When it did, she shook her head and told me to come back after surgery.

dmoser25

Extra Hitter
My wife had the surgery Oct. 6 2011,my advice is to get it looked at asap. In the mean time, you can try some of these stretches;hold your arm by your side and raise your forearm to form an "L" shape,keep elbow close to ur body,put hand on stomach and do a resistance motion from left to right(that stretch works all three parts of the shoulder,front middle and back. Next,lie down on ur back and extend ur arm behind ur head,putting ur bicep past ur ears.Those are two very important stretches that the physical therapist has my wife doing. Slow down on ur throwing right now and work on strenghthing it again. Hope this help u guys,Good Luck!!!!

wcoastsoftball

Just remember the RC is 4 small muscles, primary function of stabiilzing the shoulder. A bunch of rotation exercises is probably not going to solve your issues. Limit the rotations, work on the flexibility of whatever you are limited in (external or internal rotation) and work stability. Other joints are linked in too, such as thoracic spine and hips. Without a proper medical professional assesment though, you probably wouldn't be able to locate those issues. Can also look at Kelly Starrett's blog, type in shoulder in teh search box and watch all videos pertaining to the shoudler.

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Same exact symtoms for years... went to a therapist. After some other tests that I passed with no pain, she had me hold my arm up as if throwing (upper arm straight out from body and parallel to ground, forearm straight up in the air, so my elbow was 90*... like I was doing a military press). She pulled my hand back, rotating my shoulder to see if it hurt...

When it did, she shook her head and told me to come back after surgery.

Yea going in Friday to have mine done rotater tear. labrum tear,plus partial bicep tear,looks like 4 month recovery,

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
Definitely go in and make sure you don't have a problem like a tear. If it's ok then do some band exercises. Youtube has a bunch of exercises that you can do. I had frozen shoulder and went to therapy. Most if not all the exercises for strengthening the RC that they had me do I could have found on Youtube. I'm still doing them (part of my workout) and that's since March.

Snead13

Manager
Went to the dr on Thursday!... Having a MRI next week!.... Dr said it's not looking good for me, gave me a shot to see if it helped until I have the MRI!..

Zigawhat22

Addicted to Softballfans
Went to the dr on Thursday!... Having a MRI next week!.... Dr said it's not looking good for me, gave me a shot to see if it helped until I have the MRI!..

Try to get the tech to inject the dye before the mri. A normal mri will show a large tear but could miss the small ones (I had to have both since they didn't use dye the first time).

If your doc gave you a cortisone shot, decline having another. All they do is numb pain and let scar tissue build up.

Flash

<font color="#7AC5CD">Ice Queen</font>
Eesh, my doc wouldn't give me cortisone unless it was the last possible treatment. Luckily, my MRI revealed no tears and I didn't need surgery. After three months of A.R.T., ultrasounds and some pretty intense physiotherapy with theraband 'homework,' my shoulder is fine. It fatigues early if I lift too heavy but I can throw as hard as I ever could without pain.

jdrainman11

Addicted to Softballfans
Going to school to be a physical therapist and must say stop wasting your time and get surgery. Most likely you have streched out or torn the ligaments. You are only making it worse by putting off surgery.

wcoastsoftball

Going to school to be a physical therapist and must say stop wasting your time and get surgery. Most likely you have streched out or torn the ligaments. You are only making it worse by putting off surgery.

Well, ultimately can't just say that without radiographs first. Then develop a proper course of action. It may well be surgery, but it is always the last option.

Flash

Wow. I hope I never have to seek PT from you.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
I have begun counterswinging 10 pound weight plates with oppsite arms simultaneously. Crunching noises stop after about 90 seconds. Pain subsides after about 3 minutes. I start slightly twisting very slightly after about 5 minutes. I've been doing this for about a week now twice a day and I can get my left arm over my head again. Woo hoo.

Zigawhat22

Addicted to Softballfans
I have begun counterswinging 10 pound weight plates with oppsite arms simultaneously. Crunching noises stop after about 90 seconds. Pain subsides after about 3 minutes. I start slightly twisting very slightly after about 5 minutes. I've been doing this for about a week now twice a day and I can get my left arm over my head again. Woo hoo.

Crunching noises and pain = get the surgery. Sounds like you have a lot of scar tissue and or bone chips floating around. That or the tear is so bad that its bone on bone.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish I could. I just got downsized. right now I'm just trying to keep my family afloat.

hatemail

Starting Player
I wish I could. I just got downsized. right now I'm just trying to keep my family afloat.

this is the realest post ive seen yet...at the end of the day i look in my garage and all the bs (niw bats) i have and cant help but think of the people struggling to stay afloat in these times...i have a buddy i play with whos been out of work for 8 months and in the last couple of weeks hes sold off atleast 5 niw og eastons for under 150 ea just to keep the lights on and food on the table...the thing is he hasnt told any of us the kind of situation hes in out of pride...i had to find out from a guy he sold an scn3 to who my buddy didnt think i knew. i gave the buyer 200 for the flex and put it back in my buddys garage when he wasnt looking along with 2 scn2 niw of mine. seeing crap like this happen makes me sick to my stomach as i realize whats really important...end of rant...

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Thank you for your kind words. I never, ever thought it would happen to me. I haven't missed a day since 1984. Hell, I don't think I've ever been written up.

Flash

Living off my severance right now, scab. Thank God, I only have myself and my dog to worry about. I'm scared of every tomorrow that comes without a job offer. I got laid off in October.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
I've lined up a commission only sales job. Scary prospect in Detroit in a recession, but it's the best opstion I found today. Thanks for all the good wishes, guys. Good luck to you, Flash. I didn't know they had layoffs up there. I thought the closest thing you guys had to unemployment was Nickelback.

Flash

LOL! God, they suck.

Yeah, my (former) company has laid off 600 since last May. I was in the most recent round. It's tough for creative professionals right now. I have some contract work coming in and I'm hoping for something permanent to come up soon.

I'll think good thoughts for you and your family. :)