USSSA Running up on pitch

pwrbomb1970

Addicted to Softballfans
We have had an issue come up for the past three weeks. Batters box is NOT chaulked out....the baselines run up to the corners of home plate. Batter runs up on a pitch on a 3 and 1 count. First time he does this he ends up more than a foot in FRONT of home plate. Another time the same batter runs up on a pitch same as before but takes a half swing. He ends up in front of the plate AGAIN....little further out than before. Third time he takes a running swing at a pitch..is more than in front of home plate..he hits a nice crisp liner. Now...what would the ruling be on this.....is he out everytime he does this since he is in front of the plate and well beyond the baselines? Help me out here.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm pretty sure the box is 3' wide by 7' deep/long. I'm pretty sure it's 3' forward from the middle of home plate and 4' back. So if someone is a foot in front of home they are fine. If they are two feet in front of home, they are fine.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The normal batters boxes extend at least 2 ft in front of the plate...no problem as far as I am concerned....:rolleyes:

In USSSA, the box extends 3 feet from the center of home plate (so subtract the 6" side to get to the front, and you end up with 2.5 feet in front of the plate), and 2.5 feet back for a total of 5.5 feet.

If the lines aren't drawn, the box is still there. However, it's umpire's discretion to determine if the batter hit the ball illegally by having their entire foot completely out of where the box would have been upon contact. Umpires in ASA (and probably USSSA) are instructed to give the batter the benefit of the doubt when making this call with no lines present.

ASA and all other associations have a 3'x7' batter's box (4' up from the center, 3' back).

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
It is an umpires judgement call and you cannot appeal for a call, the umpire either calls it or he doesnt

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm pretty sure the box is 3' wide by 7' deep/long. I'm pretty sure it's 3' forward from the middle of home plate and 4' back. So if someone is a foot in front of home they are fine. If they are two feet in front of home, they are fine.

Other way around for ASA.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
I agree with NCASA, unless the batter is gaining a clear unfair advantage play on. The only time I will call it is if the foot is clearly on or directly and entirely in front of home plate.