Salomon Speedcross 3's?

Joker

my 10.5 zigs are perfect, 10.5 on these better be perfect too or i'm gonna ban the op

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
my 10.5 zigs are perfect, 10.5 on these better be perfect too or i'm gonna ban the op

Are your feet wide or narrow, high or low arches, long or short and stubby toes, do they angle in or out, are there hairs on top of your feet or toes, do you have bumps on your heels? If you don't hear 42 opinions on each of these questions don't buy them.......

Joker

Are your feet wide or narrow, high or low arches, long or short and stubby toes, do they angle in or out, are there hairs on top of your feet or toes, do you have bumps on your heels? If you don't hear 42 opinions on each of these questions don't buy them.......

i'm gonna find a place that has one of those old time foot x-ray cancer machines as soon as they show up

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Hell, I posted all the threads he could have found all the answers in the first place. But of course, that would require effort, but effort that would have been finished long before page 2. C'est la vie.

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
I posted this in another thread, but I'll share it here again...

Solomon Speed Cross have been by far the most comfortable set of shoes I've owned. While it's technically not a cleat/turf, it is an amazing, comfortable, flexible, durable, and reliable shoe. I wear it for softball, hiking, fishing, around town. These shoes get beat up to **** and all they do is collect dirt, to which I just smack them against the wall and it's clean. The cords to tie are amazingly easy and fast to use. They're almost impossible to snap and they make everything a breeze.

One of the most random things that I get is people going, "Holy ****, nice shoe." then proceed to pick my foot up and touch the soles trying to figure out what the hell is up with them.

I have never slipped, fallen, got stuck, rolled my foot/ankle, or anything funky. They are by far the best money I've ever thrown at something.

This is what my shoes look like after 6 months of abuse from fishing, softball, hiking, and walking around town:

nFJpccKl.jpg

IGuRvAfl.jpg

qNMEsKQl.jpg

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
i dont understand the obsession with this shoe. they are nice, but for the (retail)price there are other options out there just as good or better for actually playing softball.

ive mentioned them in several of these posts, but the saucony progrid outlaw is imo a better shoe. its a midcut with real ankle support but its just as lightweight as the speedcross but also more flexible so making cuts is easier, and it has a more natural heel drop which is important to stability and improves your stride. and they have just as much cushioning and an aggressive outsole for the infield and outfield. plus as a bonus the midcut and the achilles collar help keep dirt and other stuff out of your shoes.

Jordan9215

Star Player
i dont understand the obsession with this shoe. they are nice, but for the (retail)price there are other options out there just as good or better for actually playing softball.

ive mentioned them in several of these posts, but the saucony progrid outlaw is imo a better shoe. its a midcut with real ankle support but its just as lightweight as the speedcross but also more flexible so making cuts is easier, and it has a more natural heel drop which is important to stability and improves your stride. and they have just as much cushioning and an aggressive outsole for the infield and outfield. plus as a bonus the midcut and the achilles collar help keep dirt and other stuff out of your shoes.

Most of us don't pay retail for these shoes. Both of my pairs were purchased from Steep and Cheap.com for about $60/ea.

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
Most of us don't pay retail for these shoes. Both of my pairs were purchased from Steep and Cheap.com for about $60/ea.

well yeah, most smart shoppers dont pay retail for anything, but i guess my point was that if these are $140 retail and people are getting them for $60-100, then obviously the other alternatives that are cheaper to begin with will also be cheaper if you shop around.

LoveyPSU

Sorry, wrong trajectory

IMO, the tread pattern on the Progrid Outlaw doesn't look all that good for infield dirt that's the slightest bit damp/wet. I'd be willing to bet they'd be caked with dirt long before the Speedcross is. Space out the tread pattern and I might try them.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
well yeah, most smart shoppers dont pay retail for anything, but i guess my point was that if these are $140 retail and people are getting them for $60-100, then obviously the other alternatives that are cheaper to begin with will also be cheaper if you shop around.

Just checked for those saucony progrid outlaws on Amazon and the cheapest I could find them was for $56 in women's (no men's outlaws were available). I'd rather spend the extra $$ and just buy the speedcross' personally.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year

You didn't like them?

Jordan9215

Star Player

$60-70 puts them in the same price range as the majority of other softball footwear options. (even if several can be had for $45 or so). At that price point I have not found a shoe for softball that I like better. Period. That goes for turf at BLD, and dirt fields.

If you don't like them then don't buy them. Find something you like and stick with it.

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
IMO, the tread pattern on the Progrid Outlaw doesn't look all that good for infield dirt that's the slightest bit damp/wet. I'd be willing to bet they'd be caked with dirt long before the Speedcross is. Space out the tread pattern and I might try them.

ive played every position in the infield in them at various times with no issues. the reviews youll find on running websites say that the outsole not collecting mud etc is one of the best features.

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
If you don't like them then don't buy them. Find something you like and stick with it.

i fully agree with that and i'm a shoe/cleat/turf *****. ive used everything. i just think that a shoe like the speedcross is very specialized and specific, and doesnt really fit the needs of the sport.

Jordan9215

Star Player
i fully agree with that and i'm a shoe/cleat/turf *****. ive used everything. i just think that a shoe like the speedcross is very specialized and specific, and doesnt really fit the needs of the sport.

I think they're great for softball in all conditions except water. (your feet will get soaked.) I think you have either not actually worn them or there's some other reason you're saying you don't like them...

If you like something better, so be it. But to say that they don't fit the need of softball, that's a swing and a miss completely. (I'm not talking price at all, only shoe functionality.)

killinmesmallz6

Smashin Gold Tops

Aren't these sauconys a specialized shoe also, the speed cross's are lighter, The treads better. I think you might be an employee or you got fired from the salomon factory in Vietnam.

kayakmaker

Average at best
I think they're great for softball in all conditions except water. (your feet will get soaked.) I think you have either not actually worn them or there's some other reason you're saying you don't like them...

If you like something better, so be it. But to say that they don't fit the need of softball, that's a swing and a miss completely. (I'm not talking price at all, only shoe functionality.)

Exactly

Livestrong63

Addicted to Softballfans
All True

This is better than any other turn I have worn and it keeps up with most all molded cleats. Still not an answer for metal spikes but traction is great.

saint

Cleats don't work well because no one really plays on dirt. We don't have MLB fields and the ground is much harder.

kayakmaker

Average at best
yes, i have tried them and i ended up selling them. i'm a big fan of the new balance minimus line and other shoes with a more natural heel to toe drop, so even though salomon lowered the drop in the speedcross 3 from the speedcross 2, its still double what im used to. i feel like they are designed for people who heel strike first when they run, and thats the exact opposite of the way you are taught to run while playing softball/baseball/basketball/football/lacrosse/soccer etc, basically any sport where you have to pivot and make cuts.

lets face it, turfs and trail runners are a compromise for us as softball players because we are either old, overweight, play lots of games in a day/weekend, or just want to be comfortable since maximum performance isnt the goal. cleats would always be a better option if we were actually talking about performance.

i personally dont like to compromise, so if im gonna buy a turf or trail runner i want it to be something that mimics the type of cleats i like. i usually prefer midcut cleats because i like having ankle support, and i like to stay on the balls of my feet so i need something without a huge drop.

im not telling anyone to not buy the speedcross. im just letting people know there are other options out there and not just the sauconys i mentioned. to me it was starting to sound like people were thinking the salomons were THE shoe to get, just like 2 years ago everyone hopped on the reebok zig bandwagon.

Seriously, if there is a better overall option for a shoe to play the outfield in, for under $100, I would buy them today.
Based on the pictures of the tread on the shoes you've mentioned, I just cannot imagine getting the traction ive gotten accustomed to with the sc3

saint

I hate mid/high tops. I wear a brace sometimes because hightops don't help your ankles one bit.

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
I hate mid/high tops. I wear a brace sometimes because hightops don't help your ankles one bit.

thats actually not true, but it can depend on the design and quality of the shoes/cleats. if they have good lateral stability built in (which fyi 95% of running shoes do not), then you shouldn't need a brace with a good midcut unless your ankle ligaments are made out of angel hair pasta.

and where i live (Maryland) we have actual dirt that can be soft or hard, so you need options. its a very humid area so its usually soft enough for cleats this time of year, but by the middle of august most people will be wearing turfs. not everyone lives in texas or socal where they play on cement pretending to be dirt 365 days a year.

saint

thats actually not true, but it can depend on the design and quality of the shoes/cleats. if they have good lateral stability built in (which fyi 95% of running shoes do not), then you shouldn't need a brace with a good midcut unless your ankle ligaments are made out of angel hair pasta.

and where i live (Maryland) we have actual dirt that can be soft or hard, so you need options. its a very humid area so its usually soft enough for cleats this time of year, but by the middle of august most people will be wearing turfs. not everyone lives in texas or socal where they play on cement pretending to be dirt 365 days a year.

I wasn't speaking for everyone, just myself. I live in TX lol