Senior softball is fun but

Country469

but if both teams are classed the same, and one team has a few better players, you aren't giving up runs. In golf, unless 2 players are equal HC shots are being given. And the difference btween a 10 HC and 20 HC would be like the jump from AAA to Major. Its not a good comparison for this or for equipment, because the USGA and RnA did not make their drivers for guys 40 years and older automatically go further.

Redsfan

Do you swing aluminum, wooden, or composite bats? If your answer is composite it means you must have an ego issue like everyone else that swings composite bats?

I swing composite in my league. If you don't it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. I was pointing out earlier that my 2018 USSSA Worth Harvey with less than 50 swings is hotter than you would need for Senior softball. You can have your 40+ leagues but I don't feel they should/need Sr. bats. I have seen guys injured. Most have been pitchers but I almost took a 3rd basemans head off 2 weeks ago. He barely had time to move and he was in his late 20's. That same play with a 50+ year old guy at 3rd could have been bad.

Country469

Yeah let me be clear here, I think all composite bats need to be toned down. But I really do struggle with the concept that the older you get the faster the game should be. And anyone who has made the jump from upper ball to senior will be able to tell you it shouldnt be that way. I've watched countless senior hitting derbies where it was just blast and blast and line drive gas all over. No defense. Sorry, but this game has enough advantage for the hitters already with it coming in underhand. If someone can explain to me how super great equipment helps the game I'm all ears.

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't play senior ball #1 so what I swing is irrelevant, but yeah for league we play metal only and its great. I attend any an all wood bat outings I can (own 2 evil bambooms)

And bro, if you know how to hit, you know hot to hit. You dont need a fire stick. If 22 guys play with a piece of rebar, the best hitters will still be the best hitters. Its the stupid ass equip that makes everyone good, and thats because guys can't take being a singles hitter, all ego. If it wasn't ego why would good hitters want bats that ruin their advantage?
1. If you are not a senior player your comments are irrelevant since you couldn’t answer the question about what you swing.
2. You are about 30 years late on your argument about fire sticks. Titanium and Composite bats change the game and yes it sucks that just about anyone can go yard these days or tale a pitcher out with the flick of the wrist.
3. If the associations wanted to make softball more defensive just lower the homerun rule and make extra bombs ejections or end of inning. Problem with that is bat companies have too muck skin in the game to let thar happen

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
but if both teams are classed the same, and one team has a few better players, you aren't giving up runs. In golf, unless 2 players are equal HC shots are being given. And the difference btween a 10 HC and 20 HC would be like the jump from AAA to Major. Its not a good comparison for this or for equipment, because the USGA and RnA did not make their drivers for guys 40 years and older automatically go further.
The point I was making is that who is going to play anything competitive and not use the best equipment available?

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah let me be clear here, I think all composite bats need to be toned down. But I really do struggle with the concept that the older you get the faster the game should be. And anyone who has made the jump from upper ball to senior will be able to tell you it shouldnt be that way. I've watched countless senior hitting derbies where it was just blast and blast and line drive gas all over. No defense. Sorry, but this game has enough advantage for the hitters already with it coming in underhand. If someone can explain to me how super great equipment helps the game I'm all ears.

Speaking from experience making that jump, I have not heard any complaints from fellow senior ballers in my class. Innings are run limited until the buffet starts and a good team doesn’t waste bombs early or solos. In fact I have seen some players change what they swing depending on the situation to avoid solos because we can use just about any bat in seniors.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. If you are not a senior player your comments are irrelevant since you couldn’t answer the question about what you swing.
2. You are about 30 years late on your argument about fire sticks. Titanium and Composite bats change the game and yes it sucks that just about anyone can go yard these days or tale a pitcher out with the flick of the wrist.
3. If the associations wanted to make softball more defensive just lower the homerun rule and make extra bombs ejections or end of inning. Problem with that is bat companies have too muck skin in the game to let thar happen
You haven't played in awhile have you? In e it's zero homeruns, and every homerun is an inning ending out and an offensive ejection. Hasn't brought defense back to the game at all.

Here's the deal, if you halve the potency of the bats a 200 foot shot is a blast. We don't have to play with what we have now, and it's flat out dumb.

Redsfan

Watch out Gater. I got called an a$$hole by Sparks earlier for saying I'm in good shape and can hit a ball hard. Hard to tell the names you may get called with this world title stuff. Haha

SparksNVBaller

Gray Beard Ball PLayer
Yet all you smacktards Red and Country Gravy Boat included rush to put their per-order in on the New New that is the "Hottest" out of the wrapper. Why do you need HOT out of the wrapper? Can you no hit with anything? I hit the Crap out of the ball with the TPS Powerdome back in the day, so pretty sure I can pick up any bat and smash regardless of the 6 piece, inner outer floating barrel, end loaded max flex technology is behind it. Dammit now I sound like Red_Douche bragging about myself.
Look I use a senior stick...why?...because I can and the rules allow me to. Also I am going to fight fire with fire, so until they ban 40's from using senior sticks I will use mine. For the first year or so I swung my UTRIP stick because I didn't see the need to spend the money on a Bat I can only use once in a while. Still do hit my UTRIP Miken in a Senior tourney when I go into a little funk and need Ole Billy Baroo.
Now if you step out on the field you take a risk. Wood bat, Chicago ball, Outlaw league, Senior, etc... You assume the risk as a ball player.
It's funny how the younglings that don't play senior ball are the ones squawking like a bunch of hens in a hen house. If you are worried about getting hurt then you can always be the Team Mom that can run the Grill while the players play ball.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I actually agree with all of this. I played with guys a decade ago who are 50+ now and have been in senior ball for a few years. These guys hit the ball harder/further now with .44 375s and senior bats than they ever did with USSSA bats and elite or classic M/+ balls. That simply isn't right. I know it probably feels good to mash on some balls with superior equipment, but should guys really start going 350'+ with senior bats when they seldom (if ever) hit HRs in their prime years?

I know I'm still too young to come to a hard conclusion on what senior bats can do, but the experiences I've had with them have enabled me to send balls WEELLLLL over 400' with little effort. It isn't even really fun. You're basically turning a 300' field into a kiddie little league park with that equipment. I don't care how old you are.

Senior ball is not a game of skill. Its a game of who has the hardest balls and the hottest bats. And (more importantly) who still has the reaction time to field the rocket shots the bat/ball combo produces.

Redsfan

Sparks-HAHAHAHA. I love the name calling. Real grown up move. Dude you need to take your pills. It's in the plastic pill holder. F is Fridays pills. Also put your reading glasses and check out some of the other comments you might learn something.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I play OF usually right, maybe RC, catch or middle on a 5 man IF. Even in single wall I would gear up if I played IF or heaven forbid pitched.
The 52 is much more forgiving when it hits you but the ****tards local cant understand that so we play single wall. I think they went to a 47 CORE but not sure was 44 for a long time

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
And yes, I was hit in the head multiple times w both balls. My one teammate wears a helmet just to run the bases, we cant throw or catch in C 55+ division, LOL

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
You haven't played in awhile have you? In e it's zero homeruns, and every homerun is an inning ending out and an offensive ejection. Hasn't brought defense back to the game at all.

Here's the deal, if you halve the potency of the bats a 200 foot shot is a blast. We don't have to play with what we have now, and it's flat out dumb.

I never played E ball but I am Familar with the rules as far inning end and ejections. Cut the bomb rule down across all classifications and see if bombs increase/ decrease, and if the game becomes more defensive
I agree senior stocks are sick but if it’s within the rules and players are not protesting why change it?

ETDave

Old School
I’ve gone on the senior softball website forum a number of times and suggested that we as seniors should at least be hitting 52/300 balls. If I had been face to face with some of those guys I believe I would have been tarred and feathered. I’ve played senior league using the 52/300 balls quite a few years. There’s nothing wrong with them, but egos won’t allow them to be considered for tournament ball. I’ve played senior tournament ball a lot too and the ball/bat combo is ridiculous for our age and defensive abilities.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually agree with all of this. I played with guys a decade ago who are 50+ now and have been in senior ball for a few years. These guys hit the ball harder/further now with .44 375s and senior bats than they ever did with USSSA bats and elite or classic M/+ balls. That simply isn't right. I know it probably feels good to mash on some balls with superior equipment, but should guys really start going 350'+ with senior bats when they seldom (if ever) hit HRs in their prime years?

I know I'm still too young to come to a hard conclusion on what senior bats can do, but the experiences I've had with them have enabled me to send balls WEELLLLL over 400' with little effort. It isn't even really fun. You're basically turning a 300' field into a kiddie little league park with that equipment. I don't care how old you are.

Senior ball is not a game of skill. Its a game of who has the hardest balls and the hottest bats. And (more importantly) who still has the reaction time to field the rocket shots the bat/ball combo produces.
The HR Derby at that spring training we went to was dominated by seniors from what I saw. I didn't watch the whole thing, but you'd think the senior division was to give them a chance, but the opposite seemed true to me. There wouldn't have been as non senior in the top five from what I saw.

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
We can't piss and moan about what balls are used for SSUSA Worlds. Yes, its obviously a hot combination - but in 50 Major plus we only have 11 teams and we all seem to get by safely using the bats and balls. Most first basemen and 3rd baseman use a mask but when its all said and done all of us that play major plus have played long enough at a high enough level where we expect this kind of batted ball speed etc. For the record I think its just plain stupid to let any 40 year old swing sr sticks.. Im playing 55 major plus next year and look forward to the ball/ bat combination once again.

TheSilentMan35

Senior baller...don't let the age bothers you!
There will be bat compression tester in 2019...they are still in process of finalize the number to set as pass/fail.....probably around 178...to eliminate many bats that are likely shaved, etc...just like what they do in utrip, asa, etc..

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
If a bat tester is in place then almost all of us will need a relatively new bat with only about 100 swings on it to be compliant - a senior bat with lots of swings will most certainly fail any test. Again, if this is something we need to do then so be it.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
If a bat tester is in place then almost all of us will need a relatively new bat with only about 100 swings on it to be compliant - a senior bat with lots of swings will most certainly fail any test. Again, if this is something we need to do then so be it.

Or just swing POS tin cans like they make us do inleague here in So Cal. Again, tone the ball down.... Yea batted ball speeds fromn a 1.21 bat are stupid but, if you are hit by a ball made to dispuse the enrgy it helps alot and keeps bad injusrys down. I just cant understand why the local leagues dont get this. Here is a post from a local senior league that uses BLD balls.

ALL COMPOSITE AND DOUBLE WALL BATS THAT ARE

MARK ASA BATS ALLOW ONLY . ALSO SINGLEWALL BATS....

**** NO ULTRA ll BAT ALLOW***

here is a link. I think I may ask them if I could help with this site. I know I make strange and gramaticly incorrect posts sometime, but these guys have me beat, LOL

https://www.eteamz.com/seniorsoftball/

I keep clicking where they write thinking there should be a link but no, they link are is in the side, LOL

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
Worlds at LasVegas is the only time of the year we run into the rock hard ball problem - we have played in SR tournaments where the Tattoo 52/300 was used with our sr bats and it was insane how far the ball was flying - for us - easily as far as the USSSA classic M,
most of us bp with a 52/300 to try and break in our sr bats without totally destroying them.
I play C ball with the young guys in an ASA league and we use the 52/300 and with todays ASA bats its a joke how far the ball goes - can't really tone down a tattoo 52/300 can you ??

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Ball flight is not an issue in single wall but getting hit by the ball still is. I dont mind trying to chase down fly balls but dont want to get seriously injuerd ( or see anyone else hurt badly). I think there is even a Clincher 12" that not too bad to hit. In my way of thinking to older you get, they chance of being hit by a batted or thrown ball is more likely. Tone the balls down, let us use at least a nice double wall bat. I get tired of swinging tin cans...

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Im 55, in the summer I play senior with ASA bats and 52s. I can hit them out of there with todays bats. In the winter I play in Florida with Hot 44s and against the hottest bats made. So far I enjoy the Florida game as it really makes me up my game in the infield and hitting with those Adidas senior bats is a blast. Its 2 different games and I feel lucky I get to do both.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

The offensive ejections and taking away home runs doesn't fix it. USSSA for years had more teams playing E worlds than all the other levels combined and it was 0 bombs and an inning ending offensive ejection for a home run.

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
almost every team I talked to at 50 Major plus in LasVegas this year had no complaints about anything. We all like playing SSUSA and we will do whatever they tell us . If its not 9 homers a game and they now want 5 so be it. If they want 12 hrs a game - so be it. Its up to them to either tone the ball down or NOT tone the ball down - like I said earlier - next year im playing 55 Major plus and I just looking forward to having good competition - which we always do.

seniorss

Addicted to Softballfans
Agree with mnball. We play 55 Major and we know the balls and bats are what they are. No complaints about the way Senior ball is played.