Shaved Bats a thing of the past

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not your woman......Not going to make you do things you don't want to do......Just telling you how things are. You're not going to get the '50 you got out of a shave bat and good balls. There's no doubt about that, but you'll more likely get 20'+ and a ton more swings now...........A savvy guy, who has no sports morals, would see that as a benefit.

Or a guy that's been swinging shaved for years. Sometimes it's easier for them to keep cheating than to admit they have been the whole time.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
I pitched this summer in Senior, some guy pulled out a Synergy flex and it was so cut it sounded like a wet towel:rolleyes:, Im like get that **** outta here

Funny that you brought up a Synergy Flex, I remember about 3 years ago there was a guy that played in a league I once played in and is the break down of his OG Flex :

1 NIW OG Flex $400
Shaved, Endloaded and Rolled $170
25 feet added to his long ball = priceless when he hit his 1st HR.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Shaved bats are still very much alive. Go to a place like Orlando for USSSA worlds and you can tell when guys are swinging them. The ball there is dead and people will look for any advantage.

I think people are just so used to shaved bats now that no one really discusses them anymore.

You're kidding right? This is USSSA Worlds we are talking about here?
No mandatory bat testing for all bats brought onto the fields?

I don't see as much in Leagues or Tournaments here as we used to
but there is still a few around and you usually can tell.

4xtra

Player/Coach
ninjas?

I was a Worth Bat Rep so there was no way I was shaving. And I was referring to 10 years ago when the balls were hard and the bats were shaved composite/titanium and fairly expensive. The Teloso was well into the $600+ range when they first came out. Can be had for around $300 now NIW but it is so well known to be illegal, nobody tries to sneak it into a game. And my point initially was not that only broke ass ninjas were whining about "cheater" bats but that when it became illegal to use in the game, people felt like their cause had finally been raptured. And guys who were doing it legally were thrown under the bus immediately as cheaters.

It's like Archie Bunker. Everyone laughed and enjoyed his blatant racism until affirmative action and political correctness re: ethnicities/religion took hold. Rightfully as it should. But as popular as that show was, you won't find any stations syndicating that **** like Gilligans Isle.:eek:

Ninjas huh?

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter

Yes lol. they do compression test the bats but now the bat docs are taking brand new bats and cutting them to pass compression. if you look up posts online, the bat docs state on their websites they can shave to pass compression and they advertise it. bat shaving is always there whether you see it or not in my opinion.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Yeah it seems they have it down to a science where they cut the bats in the wrapper to the level where they still pass but within 20 -30 swings they will be stupid. So for testing they turn in the bats with 0 swings and 1 BP...Boom

shorel

Addicted to Softballfans
I was a Worth Bat Rep so there was no way I was shaving. And I was referring to 10 years ago when the balls were hard and the bats were shaved composite/titanium and fairly expensive. The Teloso was well into the $600+ range when they first came out. Can be had for around $300 now NIW but it is so well known to be illegal, nobody tries to sneak it into a game. And my point initially was not that only broke ass ninjas were whining about "cheater" bats but that when it became illegal to use in the game, people felt like their cause had finally been raptured. And guys who were doing it legally were thrown under the bus immediately as cheaters.

It's like Archie Bunker. Everyone laughed and enjoyed his blatant racism until affirmative action and political correctness re: ethnicities/religion took hold. Rightfully as it should. But as popular as that show was, you won't find any stations syndicating that **** like Gilligans Isle.:eek:

we just have Donald Trump and Ben Carson for this purpose.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
we just have Donald Trump and Ben Carson for this purpose.

Donald Trump and now Ben Carson do bring some Butt-Hurt with them .........

picture.php

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
You are 100%
about 70% of the guys here swing shaved bats and they STILL cannot hit the ball over 300.

I use a STOCK SV100 with 500+ on it and it is absolutely on FIRE on those 325/40's. Everybody swears the bat has been shaved.
They just cant hit....

It isnt the bat
IT IS THE BATTER .....
Shaved bats are for Douchebags who didnt play sports when they were younger and they are trying to make it up in their 40's playing slowpitch
TOO LATE TO PLAY CATCH UP .......OLD SCHOOL

:wtf2: :confused:

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

Just got back from E-worlds in Vegas and they didn't do any bat testing til Sunday, some umpires on some fields were taking bats for testing if someone hit a pitcher and having them tested but even if they failed all they did was send them in for testing, no punishment.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
Just got back from E-worlds in Vegas and they didn't do any bat testing til Sunday, some umpires on some fields were taking bats for testing if someone hit a pitcher and having them tested but even if they failed all they did was send them in for testing, no punishment.

Those jerks refused to test my corn dog that I swung all weekend. hahaha

FAT JESUS

More than likely
Played in a cash tourney recently, with no tester, and boy did the shotguns come out. That said, still had fun, and some stupid bombs were hit, my feelings weren't hurt. Were's all these guys with glass that can't hit the ball out of the infield or whatever?

All the sanctioned tourneys around here test, so no body really worries about it.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
Yeah it seems they have it down to a science where they cut the bats in the wrapper to the level where they still pass but within 20 -30 swings they will be stupid. So for testing they turn in the bats with 0 swings and 1 BP...Boom

Or their bat company can release two senior bats, for guys that still play major, and uhhhh......fill in the rest.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
Played in a cash tourney recently, with no tester, and boy did the shotguns come out. That said, still had fun, and some stupid bombs were hit, my feelings weren't hurt. Were's all these guys with glass that can't hit the ball out of the infield or whatever?

All the sanctioned tourneys around here test, so no body really worries about it.

Most of the time playing for cash will bring them out.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
It's just become acceptable it seems like. Last weekend at worlds I watched a bat get pulled and tested because a pitcher was hit. After the bat failed compression the director gave it back to the player that hit the pitcher and told him he couldn't swing it anymore. hahaha

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
It's just become acceptable it seems like. Last weekend at worlds I watched a bat get pulled and tested because a pitcher was hit. After the bat failed compression the director gave it back to the player that hit the pitcher and told him he couldn't swing it anymore. hahaha

It doesn't help that Nor Cal does zero testing, I just assume that every ball hit at me pitching or playing infield is probably shaved.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
It doesn't help that Nor Cal does zero testing, I just assume that every ball hit at me pitching or playing infield is probably shaved.

Your right, there is 100% nothing done here in NorCal to stop the dirty bats. That's why I gave up caring a long time ago. All I do know is make sure I protect myself as much as possible while I'm on the bump.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Your right, there is 100% nothing done here in NorCal to stop the dirty bats. That's why I gave up caring a long time ago. All I do know is make sure I protect myself as much as possible while I'm on the bump.

I'm amazed how many guys pitch without a mask. I've never been hit in the face/head with or without a mask but it just takes one to forever alter your life, the rest of the body will heal the brain not so much. I went to the motocross shin guards this year, I'm pretty confident with ball hit at my knees and up but the ankle high line drive, I am just trying to get my foot out of the way.

I once heard JM say that it wasn't his job to keep people from cheating. Kinda figured as the state director that was exactly his job but reality is if it doesn't make him money its not gonna happen. Hopefully some things will change this year with JM hopefully being on the way out. Where did you guys end up finishing? Did you guys end up in national bump land too?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

That is all I've ever seen. Actually, he didn't even test it, just gave it back after the game.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Or a guy that's been swinging shaved for years. Sometimes it's easier for them to keep cheating than to admit they have been the whole time.

****..............I don't shave....Not my face, not my chest, not my balls or my bats..... Nice one though. I like how you turned it around on me.:biggthumpup:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, we've all seen the pics and know you shave your chest. Secondly, I was just referring to the guys that claim there is a benefit. You know the type, try and get everyone else to do it so they don't feel so bad about it. Stopping would mean they had to admit what they were doing was wrong in the first place.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
The good players definitely piss me off the most. You make a perfect pitch, get the guy's timing off a little, but it doesn't matter because he just has to flick his wrists on about a 70% swing to hit a seed. I throw it underhanded for goodness sake, how big of a schmuck do you have to be for that to not be enough?

This is the silly part, played a pretty good team last weekend I thought would've been at a bigger tournie than a little backyard All World tournie. I know they can hit but a guy on our team plays league ball on a team with several of them, says to play deep, lot of dirty sticks. They were relaxed & hitting the ball everywhere we weren't, put on a display. I don't know if they were actually swinging dirty or not but they didn't need them, they were just good hitters

Shaved bats are still very much alive. Go to a place like Orlando for USSSA worlds and you can tell when guys are swinging them. The ball there is dead and people will look for any advantage.

I think people are just so used to shaved bats now that no one really discusses them anymore.

Yes lol. they do compression test the bats but now the bat docs are taking brand new bats and cutting them to pass compression. if you look up posts online, the bat docs state on their websites they can shave to pass compression and they advertise it. bat shaving is always there whether you see it or not in my opinion.

Most of the time playing for cash will bring them out.

This is my take on it, there are so many & so common place that it's not a big deal, just gear up & do the best you can. Getting hung up on what's dirty vs what isn't & whether it makes a difference is self defeating. Worry about what you're doing, playing your game, & you give yourself a better opportunity to win.

New bats just changed the shaving game, a lot have figured out you only take .5-.75oz out, instead of 1-2oz out like the old stuff. Hasn't stopped or slowed it down, it actually surprises me how many low league guys that can't really hit with anything know about doctoring bats. I'm talking about guys who barely know what what a composite bat is.

First of all, we've all seen the pics and know you shave your chest. Secondly, I was just referring to the guys that claim there is a benefit. You know the type, try and get everyone else to do it so they don't feel so bad about it. Stopping would mean they had to admit what they were doing was wrong in the first place.

This is a similar reason to why I don't start swing dirty. I don't really care about whether it's fair, right/wrong, or sportsmanlike. It's so commonplace I don't see it really matters sad as that sounds. Be kinda like hanging out at the Mustang Ranch to get some but don't believe in having *** until after marriage. I don't swing dirty cause I don't want the smidgen of skill I do have attributed to the bat instead of me.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
This is the silly part, played a pretty good team last weekend I thought would've been at a bigger tournie than a little backyard All World tournie. I know they can hit but a guy on our team plays league ball on a team with several of them, says to play deep, lot of dirty sticks. They were relaxed & hitting the ball everywhere we weren't, put on a display. I don't know if they were actually swinging dirty or not but they didn't need them, they were just good hitters

This is my take on it, there are so many & so common place that it's not a big deal, just gear up & do the best you can. Getting hung up on what's dirty vs what isn't & whether it makes a difference is self defeating. Worry about what you're doing, playing your game, & you give yourself a better opportunity to win.

New bats just changed the shaving game, a lot have figured out you only take .5-.75oz out, instead of 1-2oz out like the old stuff. Hasn't stopped or slowed it down, it actually surprises me how many low league guys that can't really hit with anything know about doctoring bats. I'm talking about guys who barely know what what a composite bat is.

This is a similar reason to why I don't start swing dirty. I don't really care about whether it's fair, right/wrong, or sportsmanlike. It's so commonplace I don't see it really matters sad as that sounds. Be kinda like hanging out at the Mustang Ranch to get some but don't believe in having *** until after marriage. I don't swing dirty cause I don't want the smidgen of skill I do have attributed to the bat instead of me.

Tip I hear what you are saying, but what about them teams that more then half their players swing dirty ? its sucks but I have played against teams like this.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I have no doubt there are many many teams like that and in some venues it's less common to see a clean bat. That's exactly why I won't stress over clean vs dirty bats, I'm actually more concerned about the 52cor ball being adopted/used everywhere instead of the current mismatch of dead balls, bouncy balls, and hard balls. Just the mindset I prefer so I can play to the best of my abilities.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other reason I stopped worrying about it is I didn't want to put up $100 to protest a bat when you can never know.