Shaved Bats a thing of the past

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too bad that about 75-80 percent of teams and players will not actively participate in this enough for provided bat tournaments to become a sustainable product

They're not my favorite but i won't run from them. Too few choices and stock grips.

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
They're not my favorite but i won't run from them. Too few choices and stock grips.

I also hate stock grips and people adding 3m spray on them but we used to play a bat provided league and it does fix a lot of problems. 400 bomb? wow man nice shot

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I also hate stock grips and people adding 3m spray on them but we used to play a bat provided league and it does fix a lot of problems. 400 bomb? wow man nice shot

You better get your Canadian on and translate that into Meters Frenchie!!!!

ntm1977

Addicted to Softballfans
Just pitch ice rocks if you believe a bat is a cheater i always keep a cooler with some ice or dry ice and a few league balls so when a batter comes up using it I inform the ump the balls ripped and have a teamate toss one is as the swap out

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
There for sure was some straight Bazooka's on display in Palm Springs last weekend!

I guess because there are so many fields, I just find it odd that one of the biggest tournaments in California doesn't test bats. Last year right after T4T, there were a few USSSA tournaments and I think one tested and the other was bat provided, maybe just bat provided.

It's bad how commonplace it's become. People used to hide the rolling and shaving, then a few people would mention it in the dugout in a whisper, now it's common knowledge and shaving is so common no one even blinks at rolling.

The funny thing is people talk about the Pros doing it. They are probably the ones that need it the least. I understand they are getting paid so results matter more, but most of those guys hit the ball hard already. I would be curious to see what the difference is between batted speed for a guy like Helmer with a broken in stock bat and a shaved bat. I guess that's the point, at that level maybe they feel like they need the extra 3 mph.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
I guess because there are so many fields, I just find it odd that one of the biggest tournaments in California doesn't test bats. Last year right after T4T, there were a few USSSA tournaments and I think one tested and the other was bat provided, maybe just bat provided.

It's bad how commonplace it's become. People used to hide the rolling and shaving, then a few people would mention it in the dugout in a whisper, now it's common knowledge and shaving is so common no one even blinks at rolling.

The funny thing is people talk about the Pros doing it. They are probably the ones that need it the least. I understand they are getting paid so results matter more, but most of those guys hit the ball hard already. I would be curious to see what the difference is between batted speed for a guy like Helmer with a broken in stock bat and a shaved bat. I guess that's the point, at that level maybe they feel like they need the extra 3 mph.

Spot on, very few people seem to care at all anymore. That being said it sounds like the conference is making a much bigger push this year to help curb the problem. Granted thats just going to effect conference events only. But at least its a start I guess.

As far as Helmer with a well broken in stocker against a shaver. My take would be there would be zero difference as long as both bats tested the same on a compression tester. For example if the shaver is right at 220 and the stock is right at 220 I would assume they will have the same performance. Again thats just my assumption.

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip
Spot on, very few people seem to care at all anymore. That being said it sounds like the conference is making a much bigger push this year to help curb the problem. Granted thats just going to effect conference events only. But at least its a start I guess.

As far as Helmer with a well broken in stocker against a shaver. My take would be there would be zero difference as long as both bats tested the same on a compression tester. For example if the shaver is right at 220 and the stock is right at 220 I would assume they will have the same performance. Again thats just my assumption.

But wouldn't the shave bat still have more of a trampoline effect that would cause the balls to come off faster ?

Doesn't help that manufacturers are making bats right on the limit. Both of my Mikens failed after 150 cuts. Sure, it's fun for league but sucks when you need a passable bat for a sanctioned tourney.

shaunt

Central CA Vinci Rep
Doesn't help that manufacturers are making bats right on the limit. Both of my Mikens failed after 150 cuts. Sure, it's fun for league but sucks when you need a passable bat for a sanctioned tourney.

I think it's been established that's because you hit way too hard. I bet they wouldn't fail after a 150 hits from me haha

pj3p

Senior Power Hitter :-)
There is some recent testing that proved a rolled bat will outperform [batted ball speed] a bat broken in by hitting even though they compression test the same number. The separation of layers from rolling a bat far exceeds that from just hitting at the same compression level. Soooooo, the old it just breaks in my bat quicker justification is PURE BOVINE EXCREMENT.

To be honest...I don't have a big problem with shaved bats. The bats aren't the "real" issue...it's the people. For me, if you're swinging dirty it just tells me something about your character or your ego. You can't really fix people's nature. If you're a cheater, then you're a cheater - there's no way to justify it (i.e., everyone else is doing it). On top of that, I've played long enough to, typically, pick out what is dirty and what isn't. So do a bunch of ther guys. So....you're not pulling a quick one on anybody. I tell guys, go ahead and swing that shaver but both teams and a lot of guys in the stands are going to know that you're dirty. All it does it make me think less of you as a player....

Rant over :)

NoNameJames

Star Player
To be honest...I don't have a big problem with shaved bats. The bats aren't the "real" issue...it's the people. For me, if you're swinging dirty it just tells me something about your character or your ego. You can't really fix people's nature. If you're a cheater, then you're a cheater - there's no way to justify it (i.e., everyone else is doing it). On top of that, I've played long enough to, typically, pick out what is dirty and what isn't. So do a bunch of ther guys. So....you're not pulling a quick one on anybody. I tell guys, go ahead and swing that shaver but both teams and a lot of guys in the stands are going to know that you're dirty. All it does it make me think less of you as a player....

Rant over :)

Big man has spoken. Merry Christmas brother, see you next season if there is one.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
A lot of people initially call out someone for swinging glass....and a lot of dudes are actually just using a broken in bat.....it's mostly the try hands who aren't very good or are sore losers who scream bat checking or **** like that....a lot of times grown men just don't like the feeling of getting spanked on and mommy and daddy always telling them "they are a winner, and they can be anything they wanna be".

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of people initially call out someone for swinging glass....and a lot of dudes are actually just using a broken in bat.....it's mostly the try hands who aren't very good or are sore losers who scream bat checking or **** like that....a lot of times grown men just don't like the feeling of getting spanked on and mommy and daddy always telling them "they are a winner, and they can be anything they wanna be".

You must just be a Florida fan and not actually live there. If you do, I have no idea why you'd post garbage like this. I'm guessing Texas and Cali have more shaved bats than FL, but not by a lot.

Yelling check the bat also doesn't necessarily mean they think the bat is shaved. Trash talk during a game is just that. Don't confuse that for not being able to tell who swings glass the majority of the time.

Ballisttic

Star Player
You must just be a Florida fan and not actually live there. If you do, I have no idea why you'd post garbage like this. I'm guessing Texas and Cali have more shaved bats than FL, but not by a lot.

Yelling check the bat also doesn't necessarily mean they think the bat is shaved. Trash talk during a game is just that. Don't confuse that for not being able to tell who swings glass the majority of the time.

Shaved bats are rampant in florida through all levels of play. In most rec leagues its not even a secret, kinda sickening knowing that someone on the other team has a bat that will hit 35-70' farther than your well broken bat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shaved bats are rampant in florida through all levels of play. In most rec leagues its not even a secret, kinda sickening knowing that someone on the other team has a bat that will hit 35-70' farther than your well broken bat.

One of my fondest memories of GA was playing a team from FL that was saying things like, you're bringing a knife to a gunfight if you don't have one to the tourney director about 5 years ago, and double dipping them with our knives for the championship. Yeah, it didn't happen every time, but it is a little sweeter when you beat them for sure.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
About half of our tourneys were compression checked this year, our win avg showed no effect on ones that weren't; I think everyone overthinks this way too much. Just build a good team, and you're not going to get beat by bats.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP

I am from Indiana....most rec leagues and stuff seem legit....only some tourneys get crazy...and I only play NSA silver, and or D division or so....not an upper echelon type of player!!! Just too busy! I have been asked, I just enjoy where I am at with playing softball! I don't wanna travel that much...so I stick to local tourneys or within a 1hr drive radius....so around me the bats "SEEM" stock and nothing too fishy....

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
Around here it seems a lot of the guys that hit hard as hell stock or shaved would rather swing a shaved bat. They need them the least but seem to want to use them the most.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
About half of our tourneys were compression checked this year, our win avg showed no effect on ones that weren't; I think everyone overthinks this way too much. Just build a good team, and you're not going to get beat by bats.

I don't think you're thinking about it at all. It's not like people think their team will start winning all the time if the bats are cleaned up. If the better teams were cheating, they're still going to win more often than not.

I am from Indiana....most rec leagues and stuff seem legit....only some tourneys get crazy...and I only play NSA silver, and or D division or so....not an upper echelon type of player!!! Just too busy! I have been asked, I just enjoy where I am at with playing softball! I don't wanna travel that much...so I stick to local tourneys or within a 1hr drive radius....so around me the bats "SEEM" stock and nothing too fishy....

I assume IN is more legit than most. NKY seems to be. They bring out totally different bats for non-compresssion testing tournies, but they just seem to be Miken that probably fail. I don't assume they're shaved. Down in FL, you'd play UTrip or something with the Classic M's and the balls would be flying out harder than our any 44 ball Outlaw tournies.

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
The restricted flight balls have seem to help. I play Senior ball so our bats are hot as it is! When my club play against the Young Guns we usually play in a no homer allowed league. But this is the generation of technology...so hea we go! Aloha, Fabe;)

kldaugherty65

Kosair Charities
Just pitch ice rocks if you believe a bat is a cheater i always keep a cooler with some ice or dry ice and a few league balls so when a batter comes up using it I inform the ump the balls ripped and have a teamate toss one is as the swap out

Why would the other team be hitting your team's ball?

Not to mention do you really want a shaved bat hitting a cold ball at you or your team?