Shin Guards

D-ROCK13

I wear soccer style guard with stirrups, cheap brand off the jungle site. Think they were around $30 including the socks. They protect well and don't move much when running around

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pias up here has hockey ones all day. Mine are winwell or something. I'd never heard of them before, but they were three ones with a strap I liked.

Normy

Definitely wear shin guards. I have the Easton's as well with the kneecap, ankle guards. Doesn't restrict my movement too much but definitely a pain putting on/taking off every inning. Well worth it though these days.

hitsone

I opted for mountain bike shin & knee guards. A little more expensive but covers more area. No bruises yet. Light weight.
Negatives are the 4 fastener straps. Takes time to put on but light enough not to affect running.

Also recommend Jock cup, Wrist shield, Chest protector, face mask and helmet. Never too much protection.
Release the ball, get in a defensive posture quick by back stepping. Be ready to back up any place you can.

Finally practice, practice,practice. Everyone hates seeing walks, no freebies allowed.

hitsone

the ones I have are race face. They cover the knee and the shin, but not the top of the foot. A little pricey.

ulfius

ASA Pitcher
I prefer broomball shin guards. I've use both the D-Gel 555's and 536's. The 555's have better protection but are not as comfortable as the 536's. I've taken direct hits off the 555's and not felt anything, but the 536's have small gaps where you can feel it if the ball hits there.

Looks like the 555's were recently updated to make them more comfortable, but the knee pad elastic is very tight. The page even states "Pads will be very tight but will stretch some for players with larger knees". I may cut the elastic for the knee pads and sew on some velcro.

It's good to have ankle and knee protection. I like the softshell vs hardshell because it doesn't bounce off as hard and often is still within range to make a play - plus they're easier to run in. I don't take them on/off whenever batting vs fielding.

http://www.midwestbroomball.com//D-Gel-Deluxe-555-Broomball-BR-Knee-and-Shin-Pads-Guards-P34.aspx
http://www.midwestbroomball.com/D-Gel-Multi-536-Broomball-BR-Knee-and-Shin-Pads-Guards-P327C9.aspx

Last edited: