For Sale So a Wilson SBF Custom Will Be Much Tougher

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Lets just see the stash...

beardawesome.jpg

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I have all the requested gloves (except the Vinci and PI 1781's) with me at the office. I'll be taking pics throughout the day, workload permitting. Holding up on the full review until 10nike stops by later today.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
It takes a while to load up around 40-50 pics and copy/paste all the links. Unless you guys just want me to just post a link to the library without the text. I have a game I have to leave for shortly too. Come back after midnight Pacific.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Sold! Just wish it was OT, but none the less sold

It's very OT. The lighting and tablet camera dilute the color.

I'm just leaving the fields. I'll be dropping off teammates then I'll start posting when I get home. Stay tuned for whoever else is still up.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
FIRST IMPRESSION:
At first glance out of the box, it reminded me of a smaller 1799. I noticed the fingers were longer (similar to a KP2) and a deep pocket. As Chad had previously mentioned, it looks and feels like a big 12.5". If you don't have a 1799 or 303 to compare side-by-side, you could easily mistake it as the same size.

SIZE:
The glove measures a true 12.5". The back of fingers is closest to a KP92. The index measures 9" on both (the TF21 at 8.5" and 1799 at 9.25" and both the 504/303 are at 8.75"). Visually, it looks the same size as a 303 on the front and back but wider. The fingers are wider than the Rawlings gloves (which helps explain the difference in width).

POCKET:
This has a deep pocket. It is not as wide as the 504-6 but that is mainly because of the web (see WEB section below). The finger crotches are fairly aligned across the palm. The crotch between index and pinky drops 0.5" from the other 2. Please refer to the side-by-side palm pics for comparisons on the crotch alignments and how it affects the palm/fingers.

HAND STALL:
The 4 looper is a huge upgrade to the retail 1781 and GOTM TF21. The finger stalls are similarly loose but not as noticeable or awkward as those 2. As I have always said about the TF21, I seriously think more people would be keeping them had Wilson kept the 4 loop opening. The thumb anchors the whole hand/glove down. Either 2IP or traditional will work fine on this as is.

WEB:
It has the DW5/TF21 web base hole configuration and is best described as a larger TF21 web. The web measures across 4.75", 4.25" and 4.125" respectively from top bar, cross bar to base. It measures 7.25" tall overall with the thumb-side post at 5" and the index-side post at 5.125". I compared it with the Rawlings webs and the 504-6 is wider and shorter but the 303-6 is narrower and the same length. Needless to say, the 1799 web is larger.

LEATHER:
Orange tan. This demo feels fantastic and thicker than most retail A2000's that I've handled. If Wilson manufactures the rest using the same leather, then everyone will be happy with it. The stiffness is okay but I'm not sure if Chad will be able to request Pro Stiff on this. The palm liner is not PI buttery but most people don't even know what that feels like anyways (or even notice).

IMPROVEMENTS:
I only have 3 suggestions for improvements. (1) The middle cross bar on the web needs to be wider. I would like to see it at least 4.5". (2) Make it with long laces so it will allow people enough slack to loosen/customize if they choose to. People that prefer shorter laces can always just trim them. (3) The finger stalls could be tighter like the retail stock A2K's but I'm not sure if that option is available.

CONCLUSION:
Great glove as is. It is definitely its own pattern but with similarities from different gloves. Those looking for a slightly shorter 1799 with a smaller hand stall are going to be in love. Our problem as glove enthusiasts is that we all have our own quirks. It's going to be hard to please everyone but I think this can be shaped/broken into most of our molds. I had a few players check it out tonight and they all thought it was a nice pattern for infield. For me, I prefer smaller infield gloves and view this as a utility glove. I personally would mainly use this for the corner infield or outfield. But knowing I'm in the minority concerning size, I think it would make an excellent glove for most infielders. Hopefully Wilson can accommodate some of the improvements suggested above. The only way this is going to disappoint is if Wilson manufacturers a different glove from this demo.

Feel free to ask questions for any clarifications with my comments above and/or about more details concerning particular glove comparisons. I'll probably make some revisions to this review as I get more familiar with the glove so please refrain from quoting this particular post. I'll also be adding more photos for however long Chad plans on loaning the glove here in CA.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Pics incoming. Please don't post until I get them all up. There's going to be about 50. Thanks.

Last edited: