Softball Fitness

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
As we age (55) what is your best excercise/routine that you feels keeps you swinging and or playing at the level you expect for yourself.

I'd really like to see what BruceinGA has to say as he still mashes into his 70's

SaucyJack

At the ripe old age of 52...
Monday: Core and leg workout with lots of squats and lunges.
Tuesday: Cardio or a day off depending on how sore I am from any new exercises done on Monday.
Wednesday: Upper body.
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Full body circuit training with a 3K run to finish.
Saturday: Rest and spend a day being active around the garden.
Sunday: I usually try and get a good 4-6Km cross country run depending on weather.

In the gym, try and get lots of lateral movement exercises done. Stretching is important as well.

That schedule will change when we get into winter months and outside running becomes a problem. I get some snow shoeing in whenever I can.

Phil Stevens

Addicted to Softballfans
I am 71, 160#'s. I do a sprint 8 workout on a mini trampoline for heart and lungs, body weight and band workouts for fast twitch, and a little more involved bat workout like the Macenko drill that has been keeping my bat speed in the mid 80's to low 90's. I have had a bad hip for about a year that I have been rehabbing on my own about 1hour a day 5 days a week. I am running again, and keeping the pain at bay with a lot of tissue work. I only played in 1 tournament last year.

Pops34

Part Time Player
If you have an Orange Theory near you give them a try - one of the most challenging and rewarding workouts you can do. I lift weights 3 days a week and do OT two.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
At the ripe old age of 52...
Monday: Core and leg workout with lots of squats and lunges.
Tuesday: Cardio or a day off depending on how sore I am from any new exercises done on Monday.
Wednesday: Upper body.
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Full body circuit training with a 3K run to finish.
Saturday: Rest and spend a day being active around the garden.
Sunday: I usually try and get a good 4-6Km cross country run depending on weather.

In the gym, try and get lots of lateral movement exercises done. Stretching is important as well.

That schedule will change when we get into winter months and outside running becomes a problem. I get some snow shoeing in whenever I can.

You must be shredded like frosted mini wheats

westtexas

"Godfather"
I figure that my powerlifting will slow down after this year...Im right at 60. Weigh 215 and have hit a bench of 375 last month and a deadlift of over 500....Im am ready to transition into more rep based training in February about a month before my season starts...

dunkky

don't overlook YOGA. i know it's gay but that **** do your body good. And if you are lucky, you eyes will be pleased as well. LOL

Protectyaneck

don't overlook YOGA. i know it's gay but that **** do your body good. And if you are lucky, you eyes will be pleased as well. LOL

For all you who are starting to get up there in age and are slowly watching the injuries pile up, this will keep you on the field.

BruceinGa

always online
Hi Steve, I haven't been here much.
I still do wrist curls and I also roll up a 5lb weight on a big dowel. I'm in a senior workout class (lol) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I run steps before each class. I also still like bp and try to do it twice a week although haven't lately because of hand problems. I took a 90 mph fast ball off my left thumb that tore 1/4 inch off the tip and last week I had a medical procedure to correct Duputrens Contracture on my right hand. I probably could hit now.

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
Waiting to get released to hit from foot surgeon i started climbing stairs and I'm currently at 60 flights in my building on Mon-Wed-Fri. I have 6 floors so I start at the bottom and climb 5 flights to top x 12.