"Sorry Pitch"

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't hit middle on purpose, but will only apologize if the pitcher is hurt (hasn't happened yet).

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We play with hot dots up here, and I haven't seen any retaliation in league yet. Consequently, that's normally where I get an apology and then the guy hits it in the same place again. I think the league retaliation is 100% like the pervasiveness of shaved bats in league. League guys that don't know what they're talking about hear tourney guys talking about protecting their pitcher and hit middle back anytime a ball goes between SS and 2B.

RC#13

Part Time Player
This got way out of hand when dude said going middle is the same as going home and beating your wife or something to that effect. Either way that's enough for me.

Last edited:

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I'm with rhound. Most of us can tell if an apology is sincere. No one should be offended by a sincere apology. If it prevents a middle war so no one gets hurt, why fault a guy for an apology?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I go middle alot. As of late its weak and on the ground. But I do have bat control , just cant pull well and middle is my pull. I usually dont say anything and anyone who has played around me knows its not meant to hurt anyone, just want to get on base. Pitchers have gloves and can wear protective gear they should use both. If I do say I am sorry, its genuine. If I wanted to offend you it would come out of my mouth, not off my bat.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Most of you knuckleheads don't hit the ball as hard as you think you do.
And when the pitcher catches it with routine ease, no apology is needed you dolts.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
It never would have dawned on me that apologizing for a mistake could be a bad thing.
Thank you SBF for teaching me something new.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
When you apologize where one was not necessary you feed into the dumb theory that the middle of the field is some sort of sacred ground.

If you hit the P, by all means apologize.

If you were close enough with a hard enough shot that it was truly a little scary, apologize......if you want to.

If you hit a nice shot and he happens to make a nice play, just say "nice play" and give credit where it's due instead of apologizing and making it like you're some sort of superstar and he's lucky he's not dead simply from pitching to your greatness.

If you hit a weakass shot and he fields it, walk your ass to the dugout after he throws you out. If he misses it, run to first and be thankful he stinks.

If you're more than an arms reach from the P, act like you've gotten a base hit before and run to first like you would if you hit the 5-6 hole.

If you hit a female pitcher, kill yourself!

Did I miss anything?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Incorrect: Someone saying "sorry" makes me happy.

It makes 50% of pitchers happy. And it apparently upsets the other 50%.

No matter what I do, I'm wrong and am gonna make someone mad at me. Might as well quit softball and stay home with my wife. ;)

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you apologize where one was not necessary you feed into the dumb theory that the middle of the field is some sort of sacred ground.

If you hit the P, by all means apologize.

If you were close enough with a hard enough shot that it was truly a little scary, apologize......if you want to.

If you hit a nice shot and he happens to make a nice play, just say "nice play" and give credit where it's due instead of apologizing and making it like you're some sort of superstar and he's lucky he's not dead simply from pitching to your greatness.

If you hit a weakass shot and he fields it, walk your ass to the dugout after he throws you out. If he misses it, run to first and be thankful he stinks.

If you're more than an arms reach from the P, act like you've gotten a base hit before and run to first like you would if you hit the 5-6 hole.

If you hit a female pitcher, kill yourself!

Did I miss anything?

Nothing I can think of.

It makes 50% of pitchers happy. And it apparently upsets the other 50%.

No matter what I do, I'm wrong and am gonna make someone mad at me. Might as well quit softball and stay home with my wife. ;)

How worried are you about keeping an opponent happy though?

hitsone

As a pitcher I appreciate someone's concern for my safety by giving me a courtesy sorry call
As a batter I reciprocate the sentiment if I hit the ball close enough to cause a pitcher possible injury