"Sorry Pitch"

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Sometimes I say sorry when it was an accident, sometimes I dont. I know the other team thinks im full of $h!t but if I apologize it was an accident. If I dont apologize it was on purpose and only bc someone had been running their mouth or hit middle on my pitcher a couple times prior.

This past weekend I tomahawked a ball that the pticher got palm or wrist on and apologized but the other team didnt believe it. Theirss was playing in and a couple feet from 3b. I was just trying to go in the hole. Next game the team was playing 4 man OF and gave me a huge gap in CF so I half swung and tried to hit the gap. Instead I hit a lazer at the pitchers head which he got glove on. Their SS was roided out and started talking. Later he said he was going to fight us all and basically punched our hands/fist when we shook hands. I guess the 28-3 loss we handed him chapped hit butt pretty good.

So do you say sorry before or after the bat flip...That's where I get confused

Golden!

MikeDwins

Starting Player
I always say sorry. Because I pitch. And if you hit middle and don't say sorry you're an ******* and you probably hit women.

Last edited by a moderator:

RC#13

Part Time Player
I have been pitching slow pitch for 20+ years and I gotta say it drives me insane (short trip btw) when a guy goes middle and then apologizes. Don't matter if it was on purpose or not. I always ignore the guy and inevitably he will apologize a few more times and that pizzes me off even more!!!

My thoughts on the whole middle thing is simple...1) I have bats and AT BATS also. 2)A steer gave his life so that I can defend myself with his skin! Can't defend yourself and can't go middle? Say bye bye to the position!

Just my .02

RC#13

Part Time Player
I always knew pitchers were a little different, but you guys are like moody women. No one can make you happy. :rolleyes:

You have to have a screw loose to play a game where juiced up has been's and never will be's hit balls at you with juiced up bats....and pay to have it done to you!!! I swear 20 more years of this and I am soooo retiring!!! Don't try to talk me out of it!!

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I wouldn't say it bothers me, but it's kind of annoying. I look at it as part of the game. Now if you're doing it on purpose, you're a ****, but unless it's a complete garbage pitch, I'm expecting every ball to come back to me.

But yeah, we are a little crazy

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I just don't get how people can get upset with an apology if it's genuine. I've never purposely tried to hit a pitcher in 17 years of playing softball, but I've done it by accident a few times. Sometimes you try to take a pitch oppo and your timing is a little off, or you just get careless with 2 strikes, it happens. And it's the worst feeling. I'd rather get hurt than hurt someone else.

Now if someone apologizes and then keeps hitting at the pitcher, or is obviously sarcastic with the apology, that's a different story.

Joker

the whole getting pissed off at an apology is ****ing stupid. more dumbasses trying to act tough

bomboi

Addicted to Softballfans
our tourney pitcher is most often only a few ft from 2nd base when the batter swings because he backpedals after each pitch. never seen him get hit once and ive played with him for years...dude is in great shape tho

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm Canadian, of course we do.

But on a more serious note, usually I will acknowledge it just to calm the waters. I've had guys admit to hitting at me on purpose in an attempt to rattle me, and as a pitcher, I don't need that in non-competitive ball. I don't want the other team to get fired up and retaliate. I don't need proof that the hitter is a douche that badly.

jhitman

I rarely hit the middle, but always apologize. For me, it's always on an outside pitch with 2 strikes.

JMS

Softball Eh?!
In mixed play I almost always apologize. In Mens ball I only apologize if the I actually hit the pitcher or blow him up. If the ball was more than an arms reach in any direction I generally don't care

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I think its funny all the people who say it pisses them off when someone apologizes. Sure its part of the game but why would you get upset about someone trying to tell you they didn't mean it. I don't feel the need for anyone to apologize its part of the game but I'm certainly not going to get angry about it.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been pitching slow pitch for 20+ years and I gotta say it drives me insane (short trip btw) when a guy goes middle and then apologizes. Don't matter if it was on purpose or not. I always ignore the guy and inevitably he will apologize a few more times and that pizzes me off even more!!!

My thoughts on the whole middle thing is simple...1) I have bats and AT BATS also. 2)A steer gave his life so that I can defend myself with his skin! Can't defend yourself and can't go middle? Say bye bye to the position!

Just my .02

What incredibly stupid logic...

Here's the thing you have to remember. Accidents happen and if I go middle without intent I will apologize. It's guys like you who are the real problem... You say you can defend yourself and act like it's not a big deal when someone hits at you purposely or accidentally but get pissed when someone says "my bad man". The fact that you get upset at a honest apology tells me all I need to know about your abilities ,or lack there of in this case I'm sure, when it comes to pitching

RC#13

Part Time Player
What incredibly stupid logic...

Here's the thing you have to remember. Accidents happen and if I go middle without intent I will apologize. It's guys like you who are the real problem... You say you can defend yourself and act like it's not a big deal when someone hits at you purposely or accidentally but get pissed when someone says "my bad man". The fact that you get upset at a honest apology tells me all I need to know about your abilities ,or lack there of in this case I'm sure, when it comes to pitching

I think I may have not gotten my thought across correctly. If someone goes middle and apologizes it's not like I yell at the guy or show any emotion. The guy goes middle, apologizes (don't worry if I verbally respond to you. Believe me I heard you and you know I heard you) and the game goes on. Don't keep saying it. Just move on. I did. Now my opinion on what to do in this situation is just that. My opinion. On the mound I may be fuming, especially if I know it was on purpose, but you won't hear or see anything from me. My lack of ability is in no way the reason why I could care less about your apology. The fact that going middle is part of the game is the reason why I don't care if you apologize or not. Here is my main point....you called into question my ability? If you go middle on accident then I question your ability on bat control. Trust me if I am gonna pay your pitcher back it will be on purpose. Not because I have no bat control!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If you go middle on accident then I question your ability on bat control. Trust me if I am gonna pay your pitcher back it will be on purpose. Not because I have no bat control!

So... you get mad at someone's accidental lack of bat control and respond by purposely trying to hurt someone else? Wow.

When you have a rough day at work, do you come home and beat your wife?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think its funny all the people who say it pisses them off when someone apologizes. Sure its part of the game but why would you get upset about someone trying to tell you they didn't mean it. I don't feel the need for anyone to apologize its part of the game but I'm certainly not going to get angry about it.

You don't apologize to any other player on the field, and if you did people would assume you're being a sarcastic *******. Why wouldn't you get mad?

I've been playing since the only apologies anyone offered to the pitcher were sarcastic guys being ****s. When I started playing nobody apologized, accident or not. Then came the make the clown dance guys who'd say sorrrrrry pitttchhhhh.

Now people think a sorry will prevent a middle war. I'm not starting a middle war because you hit the ball 3 feet to my left, but I'm also not going to assume you're sincere. Over 50% of the time someone's apologized to me they've hit middle again, or the guy right behind them did too and also apologized.

I never assume it's sincere. If it's actually close to me, I'm also mad I missed it.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
So... you get mad at someone's accidental lack of bat control and respond by purposely trying to hurt someone else? Wow.

When you have a rough day at work, do you come home and beat your wife?

Lol dude is batting 1.000 Hahahaha. To not acknowledge an apology is idiotic if the guy is truly sincere about it. Mistakes happen... It's guys like him that pitch who ruin softball. Think about that pitcher who you know is a complete ass and takes the enjoyment out of playing. That's what I figure he is

RC#13

Part Time Player
I'll tell you what...the next time some idiot goes middle and takes out my eye, again, I will wait for his apology! If he apologizes I will be OK with having 4 surgeries in 22 months in hope of restoring my eye sight, loosing my job because the concussion won't let me stand for 8-12 hours and having to borrow money from my parents to feed my kids all the while draining our 401k and savings so that we can just stay above water.....again! But hey........HE APOLOGIZED! AND BECAUSE I ACCEPTED HIS APOLOGY I FEEL MUCH BETTER ABOUT IT!!! Yep! I'm a moron!

And yes this did really happen. And when it did the guy apologized. And when my kid wanted to play pee wee foot ball and I couldn't afford it I had to apologize too!!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol dude is batting 1.000 Hahahaha. To not acknowledge an apology is idiotic if the guy is truly sincere about it. Mistakes happen... It's guys like him that pitch who ruin softball. Think about that pitcher who you know is a complete ass and takes the enjoyment out of playing. That's what I figure he is

This is completely stupid.

A, you don't know he's sincere.

B, it just happened. Don't act like the pitcher is an idiot here. When you foul someone hard in basketball, you've never seen them get miffed when you run up with a quick apology? Slide hard into a base or run over a guy on the basepaths and have him not be super excited to receive your apology? This literally happens all the time in every sport.

I've apologized to a couple of pitchers after the game. I wrapped it up in a compliment about his curve ball and it was all good. In the heat of the game, I'm not an idiot for not caring to hear someone apologize for getting a hit at my expense. Don't forget, they got their hit on my pitch and by me not fielding it.

RC#13

Part Time Player

So your enjoyment from softball comes from a pitcher acknowledging your apology for a mistake? I have been playing for a long time and I did not know me keeping my mouth shut on the mound was ruining the game of softball for others!

Again....my point was just don't say anything and move on. The young kids want the apology. The older pitchers know it's part of the game. Same young kids playing softball now that expect a trophy for finishing last in there soccer league!!!

RC#13

Part Time Player
this is completely stupid.

A, you don't know he's sincere.

B, it just happened. Don't act like the pitcher is an idiot here. When you foul someone hard in basketball, you've never seen them get miffed when you run up with a quick apology? Slide hard into a base or run over a guy on the basepaths and have him not be super excited to receive your apology? This literally happens all the time in every sport.

I've apologized to a couple of pitchers after the game. I wrapped it up in a compliment about his curve ball and it was all good. In the heat of the game, i'm not an idiot for not caring to hear someone apologize for getting a hit at my expense. Don't forget, they got their hit on my pitch and by me not fielding it.

sir, you couldn't be anymore right!!! Just don't say anything!!!!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I'll tell you what...the next time some idiot goes middle and takes out my eye, again, I will wait for his apology! If he apologizes I will be OK with having 4 surgeries in 22 months in hope of restoring my eye sight, loosing my job because the concussion won't let me stand for 8-12 hours and having to borrow money from my parents to feed my kids all the while draining our 401k and savings so that we can just stay above water.....again! But hey........HE APOLOGIZED! AND BECAUSE I ACCEPTED HIS APOLOGY I FEEL MUCH BETTER ABOUT IT!!! Yep! I'm a moron!

And yes this did really happen. And when it did the guy apologized. And when my kid wanted to play pee wee foot ball and I couldn't afford it I had to apologize too!!

That's brutal and I'm really sorry to hear that it happened. All the trash-talkers would run their mouths a lot less if they actually saw the aftermath of someone getting seriously hurt from a middle shot. People take the silliest things personally and get their chests puffed out over nothing, not realizing that peoples' lives and livelihoods can be seriously affected. When it happens to you or someone you know, then you really start to reconsider your actions.....

Trust me if I am gonna pay your pitcher back it will be on purpose.

.....Or not. :(

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I think I may have not gotten my thought across correctly. If someone goes middle and apologizes it's not like I yell at the guy or show any emotion. The guy goes middle, apologizes (don't worry if I verbally respond to you. Believe me I heard you and you know I heard you) and the game goes on. Don't keep saying it. Just move on. I did. Now my opinion on what to do in this situation is just that. My opinion. On the mound I may be fuming, especially if I know it was on purpose, but you won't hear or see anything from me. My lack of ability is in no way the reason why I could care less about your apology. The fact that going middle is part of the game is the reason why I don't care if you apologize or not. Here is my main point....you called into question my ability? If you go middle on accident then I question your ability on bat control. Trust me if I am gonna pay your pitcher back it will be on purpose. Not because I have no bat control!

Sorry but you do sound like an idiot, by hitting middle no one is intentionally questioning your skill, they are hitting a softball. Even the best players in the game go box on accident at times, its not billiards no one has that good an aim. If you have never intended to go backside and accidentally hit middle than you either have barely played the game or you should be playing for Resmondo because you have crazy good bat control.

This is sad but it makes you sound even worse IMO. The fact that you would still intentionally hit middle on someone else as revenge knowing what you went through is bad.

You don't apologize to any other player on the field, and if you did people would assume you're being a sarcastic *******. Why wouldn't you get mad?

I've been playing since the only apologies anyone offered to the pitcher were sarcastic guys being ****s. When I started playing nobody apologized, accident or not. Then came the make the clown dance guys who'd say sorrrrrry pitttchhhhh.

Now people think a sorry will prevent a middle war. I'm not starting a middle war because you hit the ball 3 feet to my left, but I'm also not going to assume you're sincere. Over 50% of the time someone's apologized to me they've hit middle again, or the guy right behind them did too and also apologized.

I never assume it's sincere. If it's actually close to me, I'm also mad I missed it.

In this day in age when everyone is so sensitive about middle, I aplogize because I don't want some ******* trying to hurt their pitcher on purpose because I made a mistake. I rarely go middle in league, if I do its an accident and its unlikely I will go there again. This game is supposed to be fun, some assclown hurting my pitcher as payback because I made a mistake isn't something I really want on my head.