squats after back surgery

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
after L4/L5 micro discectomy what are your thoughts on using a hip belt for squats instead of loading a bar on my shoulders?

wcoastsoftball

What was the rehab progression?

I would probably start with unloaded split leg variations with the TRX to unlock the hips and take some stress away from the low back and see how it feels, then progress assuming that the squat movement with loads are indicated for the persons current postop status.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
A hip belt when you had an L4/L5 issue? And what has the therapist said? Cleared for activity?

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless you are getting paid, I would quit with the loads. I would go to bulgarian split squats, step ups and one legged squats and other methods that take the load off the spine. That said, a hip belt would likely be an improvement.

M

MJL 00

I worked in surgery on ortho/neuro team and had two back surgery's myself(laminectomy and discectomy L4/5).

For myself, I do squats on the smith machine with the bar across the front of my shoulders(very light weights of course). When using front squats it keeps you ridged if done correctly. ALWAYS worry bout form first, not amount you use or amount of reps. Back has to be ALWAYS straight. I NEVER put weight on my shoulders(back of neck that is) now EVER.

Legs are very technical now for me but here are the exercise I use that don't put so much stress on my S nerve.

Hip sled, leg extension, front smith squats, any pendulum leg machine, dumbbell lunges, laying leg curls. Main thing is if can always have your back supported. IMO do not use a weight belt either, want to strengthen you back not have it get use to braces.

I still struggle a lot, now my pelvis rotates a lot and has tendency to pop out of place. Main thing is go slow and watch amount of weight used.

Good luck

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
Had surgery august of 2014. Have had no issues since completing pt. Just wanting to do more leg work and seen several vids on the hip belt.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I have a fractured L5 and still do squat. Had it since 8th grade...... Need to be sure your core is strong to help support your back. And no I don't try to get crazy and squat heavy. Also only front squat due to some shoulder issues. I never overload my squats.

jstrong

They love to hate me
Unless you are getting paid, I would quit with the loads. I would go to bulgarian split squats, step ups and one legged squats and other methods that take the load off the spine. That said, a hip belt would likely be an improvement.

bulgarian split squats are legit, will wreck you and not put a ton of stress on your back.

wcoastsoftball

There's a very good reason not to squat. At all. Ever. Ask wcoast

Back squats certainly are not for everyone. I start all clients light and work through their mechanical range...as they improve strength, move forward. A better option is front squats or single leg options. The OP might want to put down the squat ego, if he had one before, and deal with the lesser weight instead of stressing the low back if poor technique is an issue.