Other stepping off 3rd

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
i am always annoyed when a runner asks to step off of 3rd into foul territory when a righty comes to bat. It's cowardly, and often confuses me when i'm in the OF. once in a while i think its a coach and not a runner.

my question: do you all allow this?

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
No. Must stay in contact with the bag until ball crosses plate or the ball is hit. I don't get guys who turn their back to the plate while on base. I always want to see if the ball is coming my way so I can at least try to avoid getting hit.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Are they stepping all the way off third? OR just keeping one foot on third base and one foot foul?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Why in the he&& would you allow this? Who makes up this crap and worse, what umpire would allow it?

Are they stepping all the way off third? OR just keeping one foot on third base and one foot foul?

yes. they are stepping 3 or 4 steps into foul territory. Umps just says "you have to re-touch"

Why would any umpire allow this?

IDK it pisses me off.

I have a guy on my team that does it when i'm up and i haven't pulled a ball down the line all year.

VanSin23

NC Freedom Sports
I have seen it allowed on rare occasions in back woods league ball when there is always that one guy that should not be playing in that league is up to bat and is notorious for ripping down the line. About the time the ball approaches the hitter they jump off. Tournament ball, never should be allowed.

Strawberry

Shin Killer
I have seen it allowed on rare occasions in back woods league ball when there is always that one guy that should not be playing in that league is up to bat and is notorious for ripping down the line. About the time the ball approaches the hitter they jump off. Tournament ball, never should be allowed.

This here^^^^

Sanctioned ball = not allowed. Backyard or one pitch = who cares.
I allow a girl to step away if a guy is hitting as long as they come back and touch before coming home. Usually coaches are are okay with it

cr4shpeg

Addicted to Softballfans
People do it in our league games, but I'm pretty sure for tournaments people just have to deal with it. I've never seen anyone called out for it, nor would I want to. If you're standing 60 feet away from a guy who rips the ball down the line with no glove on, I can understand that 5 or 6 feet feeling like some semblance of security. They just have to "tag up" before they can advance is the agreement I believe most teams abide by.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess Ive never ever seen someone step all the way off the base, Ive seen them step as far to one side while keeping their foot on it. But never off. What wussies.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Seriously? What if this "dead pull hitter" rips one foul? Now you're more likely to get nailed. Perhaps next you'd like the umpire to permit you to have the ghost runners like we used in stick ball as kids. Then you can go hide in the dugout in complete safety while your power hitter screams liner after liner down the third base line.

As an umpire, I'd never allow it. You come off the base while the pitcher is preparing his delivery, you're out. At least then you don't need to worry about getting hit.

If you're that concerned about taking a line drive, wear a helmet when you run the bases.

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
Seriously? What if this "dead pull hitter" rips one foul? Now you're more likely to get nailed. Perhaps next you'd like the umpire to permit you to have the ghost runners like we used in stick ball as kids. Then you can go hide in the dugout in complete safety while your power hitter screams liner after liner down the third base line.

As an umpire, I'd never allow it. You come off the base while the pitcher is preparing his delivery, you're out. At least then you don't need to worry about getting hit.

If you're that concerned about taking a line drive, wear a helmet when you run the bases.

^^^^^THIS!

Pay attention and duck and cover if necessary. :D

spos21ram

The Legend
People do it in our league games, but I'm pretty sure for tournaments people just have to deal with it. I've never seen anyone called out for it, nor would I want to. If you're standing 60 feet away from a guy who rips the ball down the line with no glove on, I can understand that 5 or 6 feet feeling like some semblance of security. They just have to "tag up" before they can advance is the agreement I believe most teams abide by.

Pretty sure?.....and who plays on 60 foot bases? But anyway, I have never seen this happen in any league I've played in. I'm an LD and would never allow this.

Last edited:

Coonass

Addicted to Softballfans
If they hit you while you standing on the bag they can hit you while 4 foot off of it.

Makes no since, this is the pussification of America!

VanSin23

NC Freedom Sports
Pretty sure?.....and who plays on 60 foot bases? But anyway, I have never seen this happen in any league I've played in. I'm an LD and would never allow this.

If I was an LD and there was a girl on first and a masher rips her head off, I would think twice next time about maybe letting them have a a little space from the bag. Competitive league is different. I agree that they gotta stay on the bag.

spos21ram

The Legend
If I was an LD and there was a girl on first and a masher rips her head off, I would think twice next time about maybe letting them have a a little space from the bag. Competitive league is different. I agree that they gotta stay on the bag.

How is standing 4 feet away from the bag gonna make the girl any safer? What if the guy rips a foul ball? It makes no sense.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Last year one teammate of mine asked to step off. I told him to get back on the bag, then ripped one at him just for laughs.

spos21ram

The Legend
Even if the league was only somewhat competitive, have a runner stand a few feet off the base would hurt your team because he would have to go back touch 3rd or 1st then proceed to the next base,

VanSin23

NC Freedom Sports
How is standing 4 feet away from the bag gonna make the girl any safer? What if the guy rips a foul ball? It makes no sense.

She could hide behind the base coach...LOL What if the guy rips one into the dugout? There are plenty of if's in any situation. I am just saying....Your league so it is your decision.

jsiders6

Addicted to Softballfans
this happens at almost every league and every tournament game i've ever played in. Mens or co-ed.

jsiders6

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah i think each up has their own rules out here. Some allow it, some dont. Some say you have to have a foot on the mound, others say you have to be within a foot... etc etc

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
i alwasy stay on the foul side of 3rd, and make sure when contact is made that im still in foul territory, if i get hit, i get hit, but id rather not be called out due to the fact that im in fair territory.

shotcaller

Addicted to Softballfans
off the bag...out

I make it a point to always glance at runners before the pitcher pitches and if i see movement off the bag i have a dead ball, runner is out and if he/she is the third out of the inning that batter will start the next inning leading off.Had a td/coach of a team yelling at me because i called two of his players out in one game,he told me in his tournaments he allows it and i said maybe you do but this is a nationals!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a load of ****. Players get away with it because the umpire cannot watch everything. Then they come to Championship Play and, oops! "what do you mean I'm out?"

It's even difficult for a BU to see it from his/her position. However, put an umpire on 3rd and what else does s/he have to look at other than the runner on 3B? And there it is, "what do you mean I'm out? We do this all the time in league!"

The "but my guy hits the line" is weak. Why? Because it is YOUR guy! Got a fear of getting hit? Tell YOUR guy not to hit it there.

However, with the condition of the game with today's pretenders, I predict a proposal in the next couple of years to place a double-base at 3B expressly for the purpose of protecting the runner on 3B. Which, I might add ill provide a slight advantage to the offense.