STL Thread/ Off Season/ Wanna talk about Playoffs?

T Ripp

<font color="gray">GDC SILVER STATUS MEMBER</font>
I'm curious, do people think that NSA would be more dominant if it had BMAC as it's primary facility with Balven running it than USSSA with O'Donnell?

I don't care where it's played I'd still take Utrip over NSA any day...

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
so for the most part Utrip is pitch style and different home run rules. I would say based on the crabbin, I hear around NSA tourneys (and here and mo board), the biggest difference is the more stringent rosters. Having a director who is envolved in keeping level of play even.

I've played in 0 utrip tourneys, so I can't say, but would you rather have utrip roster rules or the nsa roster rules

SOL23

Starting Player
so for the most part Utrip is pitch style and different home run rules. I would say based on the crabbin, I hear around NSA tourneys (and here and mo board), the biggest difference is the more stringent rosters. Having a director who is envolved in keeping level of play even.

I've played in 0 utrip tourneys, so I can't say, but would you rather have utrip roster rules or the nsa roster rules

Ill give my 2 cents. For all the teams that cry about who they have to play or bail because a decent team is in the tourny, then stay down in bronze or silver, play every weekend at the largest outdoor toilet. Or go to Bmac and get in a tournament where its going to draw bigger number teams, due to the fact that its not monitored or rostered strictly. Yes, some teams will walk away from Bmac, bloodied and scared, but because Pevely no longer allows anybody with a shred of talent to play in their tournaments, then this is what is going to happen. Dont take this personally, cause all you guys are awesome, but as a guy thats been on "upper level" teams, I am excited for the opportunity to play in a 22 team tournament. Its literally been years since I have een able to play in a tournament this big, without the director coddling the babies and breaking up the bracket, so everybody gets to walk away feeling good. In real life it doesnt work that way. They dont group together terrible workers, because they aren t as good as the better workers. The bad workers get fired. Just cause its a hobby and a game, doesnt mean that everyones a winner. Get better or in the immortal words of Donald Trump "You're Fired"

bojangles

Addicted to Softballfans
Ill give my 2 cents. For all the teams that cry about who they have to play or bail because a decent team is in the tourny, then stay down in bronze or silver, play every weekend at the largest outdoor toilet. Or go to Bmac and get in a tournament where its going to draw bigger number teams, due to the fact that its not monitored or rostered strictly. Yes, some teams will walk away from Bmac, bloodied and scared, but because Pevely no longer allows anybody with a shred of talent to play in their tournaments, then this is what is going to happen. Dont take this personally, cause all you guys are awesome, but as a guy thats been on "upper level" teams, I am excited for the opportunity to play in a 22 team tournament. Its literally been years since I have een able to play in a tournament this big, without the director coddling the babies and breaking up the bracket, so everybody gets to walk away feeling good. In real life it doesnt work that way. They dont group together terrible workers, because they aren t as good as the better workers. The bad workers get fired. Just cause its a hobby and a game, doesnt mean that everyones a winner. Get better or in the immortal words of Donald Trump "You're Fired"

There werent 22 teams at E worlds last year??? lol

USSSA > NSA imo

Their trophy game is strong too.

USSSA does have some cool trophies. But NSA in other areas have nice ones too, but MO just reuses the same plaque design for any tournament. Oh, and with NSA you win more cash

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag

so with this said...how would you equate the utrip levels to the nsa levels?

i.e.:

Bronze/Silver = Utrip e
Gold/Elite = Utrip D

and so on? What do you think the level of play is in utrip versus NSA?

for the record, I've never b|tched about rosters, players or bracket seeding. The Giants have gotten smashed in 6 games this year, and some guys quit do to it...I've never thought about quiting due to losing games.

Giants in 2 years are 13-38 (18 tourneys)

softballdad23

Part Time Player
There werent 22 teams at E worlds last year??? lol
I prostate myself before you, O wise one. I forgot, I had to drop 2 classes to get to play in a real tournament:)

USSSA does have some cool trophies. But NSA in other areas have nice ones too, but MO just reuses the same plaque design for any tournament. Oh, and with NSA you win more cash

You know whats better than plain trophies.......... MVP and all world trophies!

softballdad23

Part Time Player
so with this said...how would you equate the utrip levels to the nsa levels?

i.e.:

Bronze/Silver = Utrip e
Gold/Elite = Utrip D

and so on? What do you think the level of play is in utrip versus NSA?

for the record, I've never b|tched about rosters, players or bracket seeding. The Giants have gotten smashed in 6 games this year, and some guys quit do to it...I've never thought about quiting due to losing games.

Giants in 2 years are 13-38 (AVG of .68-2 every tourney)

Again, not pointing fingers, it was just a general statement. If you are a low level bronze/silver team, you better expect to get thumped in UTRIP E. If you are gold or elite in NSA, you are most likely classified as UTRIP D, and especially now that that they are giving UTRIP D 2 homeruns. Thats more reason every C team will now drop down to D in UTRIP. If you go out of town in utrip, better expect to play teams at least 2 levels higher than what they are classified. Perfect example, was the Gorillaz from several years ago. They were the top B team in NSA, and played D in utrip. They were a VERY good team, and went to UTRIP world, were they made it to the championship game out of 200 teams. They played a friend of mine from Ohio, that consisted of 5 utrip A players, and 5 guys that had played UTRIP Major within the last 5 years of that tournament. Most directors out of state allow severe sandbagging and thats why when you leave the Velvety soft coddling of MO, reality hits very hard!

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus

I don't think it's an argument of trying to make people "feel good". I think some feel it's an argument of creating proper separation of the classes and keeping players properly policed within the classes. I'm sure you would agree that there are some teams that play down for simply no other reason than to play weaker teams so they can win 1st place, tropheys, and something most important to every tournament team than those two things.. $$$Cash Money$$$.

If you ask me.. It's a problem on a national level more so than a local level because the tone is already set on a national level division wise. You go anywhere and there are many people swinging juiced especially in all the southern states, and teams are sandbagging everywhere in every division with the exception of B and A programs (IDK TBH and Southpaw could probably elaborate more on that). It's a fact and something that's not going to get resolved anytime soon unfortunately which is why I guess something has to come together to make both parties happy. Wouldn't you agree?

IMO there would be more upper teams and better building of classes if the directors worried less about their wallets and more about building a strong, fair, and balanced organization because if you look at the big picture.. If the directors would be willing to change the landscape for a few seasons, take the growing pains involved.. The money will be there in the end and I believe it would cut down on some of the things teams on both the lower and upper sides complain about. That (IMO) is the best business model.

Upper players do complain about having to travel a lot to play tournaments and I totally understand that's a problem without proper sponsorship.. to add I do understand and sympathize.

Lower teams complain about upper teams playing against them in tournaments because of the tournament costs involved, talent differential, etc.

All and all.. I hope everyone does well this weekend. We've got Revolution first and then (when we win ;) :p) ADL... So I'm hoping to see you Ian, Tip, Beil, and Vance by 11:10am sharp.

softballdad23

Part Time Player
I don't think it's an argument of trying to make people "feel good". I think some feel it's an argument of creating proper separation of the classes and keeping players properly policed within the classes. I'm sure you would agree that there are some teams that play down for simply no other reason than to play weaker teams so they can win 1st place, tropheys, and something most important to every tournament team than those two things.. $$$Cash Money$$$.

If you ask me.. It's a problem on a national level more so than a local level because the tone is already set on a national level division wise. You go anywhere and there are many people swinging juiced especially in all the southern states, and teams are sandbagging everywhere in every division with the exception of B and A programs (IDK TBH and Southpaw could probably elaborate more on that). It's a fact and something that's not going to get resolved anytime soon unfortunately which is why I guess something has to come together to make both parties happy. Wouldn't you agree?

IMO there would be more upper teams and better building of classes if the directors worried less about their wallets and more about building a strong, fair, and balanced organization because if you look at the big picture.. If the directors would be willing to change the landscape for a few seasons, take the growing pains involved.. The money will be there in the end and I believe it would cut down on some of the things teams on both the lower and upper sides complain about. That (IMO) is the best business model.

Upper players do complain about having to travel a lot to play tournaments and I totally understand that's a problem without proper sponsorship.. to add I do understand and sympathize.

Lower teams complain about upper teams playing against them in tournaments because of the tournament costs involved, talent differential, etc.

All and all.. I hope everyone does well this weekend. We've got Revolution first and then (when we win ;) :p) ADL... So I'm hoping to see you Ian, Tip, Beil, and Vance by 11:10am sharp.

Not gonna lie, I am fully torqued about this scenerio:)

Chubby_43

I am not really sure who this is directed at. I am not crying about playing in OF or any sanctioned tournament. I like those better than $$$ tournaments. My only complaint is that you charge that much to get in and then make it a single elim. after a round robin. That is not getting equal value. That's all I am saying..

Chubby_43

Again, not pointing fingers, it was just a general statement. If you are a low level bronze/silver team, you better expect to get thumped in UTRIP E. If you are gold or elite in NSA, you are most likely classified as UTRIP D, and especially now that that they are giving UTRIP D 2 homeruns. Thats more reason every C team will now drop down to D in UTRIP. If you go out of town in utrip, better expect to play teams at least 2 levels higher than what they are classified. Perfect example, was the Gorillaz from several years ago. They were the top B team in NSA, and played D in utrip. They were a VERY good team, and went to UTRIP world, were they made it to the championship game out of 200 teams. They played a friend of mine from Ohio, that consisted of 5 utrip A players, and 5 guys that had played UTRIP Major within the last 5 years of that tournament. Most directors out of state allow severe sandbagging and thats why when you leave the Velvety soft coddling of MO, reality hits very hard!

I would have to disagree.. The thing that sets Utrip and NSA apart is pitching. If your not used to hitting a 3' fast ball you'll struggle. I would say Gold or Elite is closer to C talent wise.. I don't think a low level silver team will get thumped by an E team. I have played many utrip games from C-E and the pitching is the difference and the homerun rules come into play. That is where the Sliver team will struggle when it's a offensive ejection. But sand bagging happens every where..

Tip8

Hits BOMBS in League
To me the directors ALL directors gotta stick to their guns and not let all these teams drop and force bumps........Letting people drop and then letting them drop the next year after that.

But they all want that $$$

doublebagel

Manager
To me the directors ALL directors gotta stick to their guns and not let all these teams drop and force bumps........Letting people drop and then letting them drop the next year after that.

But only after your appeal right ;)

Chubby_43

Yeah good luck with that..LOL

It seems in all the threads it comes down to the same issue. The directors want the maximum $. Then it becomes a matter of balancing getting the most money now versus the health and growth of the game in the future.

southpaw15

Addicted to Softballfans
Let's make things really easy, follow a very simple method. 3 divisions total, regardless of association. Major/Super (Conference similarities), Competitive (B/C Division of today), Recreation (everyone else). You call them whatever you want, but why make it so difficult on the Director's trying to regulate people and teams? Come up with rules everyone can agree on, and move on. Recreation would be played with Aluminum single wall bats, or similar, to decrease costs for those teams because we constantly hear how the first few years of playing can be so expensive. This would also limit HR's, people altering equipment, and increase safety for those playing recreationally. If you want to use composite bats, welcome to the Competitive division! If you want to play the best, find your best players around the country, play Major/Super! It really isn't as hard as we're making on ourselves.

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
Let's make things really easy, follow a very simple method. 3 divisions total, regardless of association. Major/Super (Conference similarities), Competitive (B/C Division of today), Recreation (everyone else). You call them whatever you want, but why make it so difficult on the Director's trying to regulate people and teams? Come up with rules everyone can agree on, and move on. Recreation would be played with Aluminum single wall bats, or similar, to decrease costs for those teams because we constantly hear how the first few years of playing can be so expensive. This would also limit HR's, people altering equipment, and increase safety for those playing recreationally. If you want to use composite bats, welcome to the Competitive division! If you want to play the best, find your best players around the country, play Major/Super! It really isn't as hard as we're making on ourselves.

This would be fine by me...cept the bat issue, just dont' see that happening if the 3 divisions came to fruition.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Softball does have too many divisions. I don't see the bat thing happening. Bat manufacturers make better profits off composites. IMO they make more money off lower level guys too. Almost every E/D team has at least one guy with 5 or more of the newest bats seeking that better arrow.

pjordan4477

Hashtag a hashtag
Softball does have too many divisions. I don't see the bat thing happening. Bat manufacturers make better profits off composites. IMO they make more money off lower level guys too. Almost every E/D team has at least one guy with 5 or more of the newest bats seeking that better arrow.

I know this guy...lol