Stupid HR derby

Hambo

Starting Player
Short fences will mess with you hard! Played in 2 prisons a couple of weeks ago and the 1st was 240' in left & 220' in right and center was the corner of the 2 fences and was at least 350-360' maybe even a little more and guys that normally hit them out easily on larger fields only hit 1 or 2 out of 10-12 at bats. The 2nd was maybe 200' in left, center was 300 or more and left was 500 and I popped up all but 3 at bats out of 9. Short fence syndrome. On another note, I bat righty normally and threw a coed tourney where guys have to bat opp handed and played on a 200' field and hit a couple out easily in the 250-270 range.

So you definitely caught my interest when you casually mentioned that you were playing softball in prison a couple of weeks ago but then totally lost me when you were describing the fields...

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
I understand people running homerun derbies to raise money for their team/foundation want to bring as much people as possible and it's cool that everybody has a chance to win. For example a 270' field with 100 mph bats and gold dots is a nice combination. Not hard to hit it out but still gotta make good contact. OTOH outlaw bats with distance balls is totally ridiculous.. any pop out can go over the fence.

rejects

Addicted to Softballfans
Just curious ...

- Who says a homerun derby has to be on a 300' field? Just like in any association, local rules can supercede.
- How many entries?

Sounds like a bunch of guys (or girls) possibly having a good time. If you thought it was that bad, why stick around to watch? Why not join in the fun and show off your own skills? The 'stupidity' here might go to the guy posting this on a softball forum after he went there and just watched? You could have entered ... or you could have just left if it was that stupid.

you got burned...

MaverickAH

During the tourney, which I was playing in, the umps were drinking beer on the field so that tells you the kind of tourney it was.
There were 12 guys that entered.
Why enter a derby like that? It is a no win situation.
If you win, who cares it was a 200 foot field.
If you lose how did you not win with the fences only 200 foot.[/QUOTE

If you don't enter, you've already lost!

The real question is, "How do you not enter?"

Or maybe you did and.............:third:

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
During the tourney, which I was playing in, the umps were drinking beer on the field so that tells you the kind of tourney it was.
There were 12 guys that entered.
Why enter a derby like that? It is a no win situation.
If you win, who cares it was a 200 foot field.
If you lose how did you not win with the fences only 200 foot.[/QUOTE

If you don't enter, you've already lost!

The real question is, "How do you not enter?"

Or maybe you did and.............:third:

If I had entered and lost I would have no problem saying so.
My sig used to say if you cant laugh at yourself don't get mad when others do.
Life is short, enjoy the ride.

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
You KNOW this before you enter .. what is ridiculous about it? You have a choice to enter or not.

that's a fact. What I meant is I would not enter a derby like this but if others wanna do it, it's all good.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
its a good way to get a lot of entries and makes dudes who never hit hr's feel good for once in their lives. i think i might recommend doing a derby like this next year

ar2x7

Substance & Style
If I had entered and lost I would have no problem saying so.
My sig used to say if you cant laugh at yourself don't get mad when others do.
Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Not so short that you can't stop to knock others who are having fun on a 200' field, those bastards!

bob, did you know that you have been responsible for ever crap thread on this site since late 2004? Fact

AzAthlete008

Addicted to Softballfans
You could of just batted left handed (or opposite), and had a good time if the 200' fences were beneath you. I would of done something like that and laughed about it the whole time. Im sure others would of had fun watching also. Isn't that little league distance?

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
You could of just batted left handed (or opposite), and had a good time if the 200' fences were beneath you. I would of done something like that and laughed about it the whole time. Im sure others would of had fun watching also. Isn't that little league distance?

Yes, it was a LL field.

bigcat21

THE OFFICIAL SBF SALSERO
Was a a small town tourney this weekend and watched the derby.
Any bat, any ball and you get 8 swings, not pitches but swings.
The winner won in the first round with 5, oh, the stupid part, they were on a 200' field, no that is not a typo, 200 foot fences.:thumb:

Classic.. LOL!!!!:biggthumpup:

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
I run the local league here...there's a little league field right next to the two we play on. I'm going to do this...just because you think it's stupid! Mmmkay Thanks!