Swing mechanics help.

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes same same....just make sure u get the top hand to still turn over cuz using overlap the top hand usually just goes for a ride and used to push. I use to use an overlap which really taught me how to cut the ball and whip the bat but my consistency suffered. I have gone to an interlocking like golf and will never look back. And jfyi this is just my opinion from tinkering around with grips and stances over the last 10 years. Not everything works for everyone so u need to find what works for u. The casual softball player takes bp and never gets any better cuz they practice the same thing that produces the same results they have been getting...and they usually don't like there results. So practice using different grips...different stances....different address positions...hands high...hands low...ect ect.

What is a interlocking grip ?(standard grip)?

kaos

Yes same same....just make sure u get the top hand to still turn over cuz using overlap the top hand usually just goes for a ride and used to push. I use to use an overlap which really taught me how to cut the ball and whip the bat but my consistency suffered. I have gone to an interlocking like golf and will never look back. And jfyi this is just my opinion from tinkering around with grips and stances over the last 10 years. Not everything works for everyone so u need to find what works for u. The casual softball player takes bp and never gets any better cuz they practice the same thing that produces the same results they have been getting...and they usually don't like there results. So practice using different grips...different stances....different address positions...hands high...hands low...ect ect.

Any pictures of this grip? How and what fingers are you interlocking?

Currently use a modified overlap - top hand (rh) top 2 fingers on the bat and bottom 2 overlap.

Rdd/Easton 10

The Veteran
The interlocking I use is just like what tiger and rory use on the golf club if u want to look it up...just interlock ur right hand pinky with ur left hand pointer finger. Helps my hands work more as a unit.

kaos

The interlocking I use is just like what tiger and rory use on the golf club if u want to look it up...just interlock ur right hand pinky with ur left hand pointer finger. Helps my hands work more as a unit.

Better more consistency swing wise - much if any drop off in bat speed and whip?

Rdd/Easton 10

The Veteran
Better more consistency swing wise - much if any drop off in bat speed and whip?

I personally get more power as it makes my top hand stay on the bat longer through the swing...with the overlap I noticed I would release the top hand a little early.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
Looks like you can hit the ball a ton. Like others have said you lunging is the only flaw. Same thing i did for a long time going backside. It does take a little work but if you can get into the habit of letting the ball get deep and getting inside the ball when u go backside you will eventully become much more consistent. You will still be able to start the ball in the middle and get it to slice into the gap depending on where you contact the ball itself with that approach.

Rdd/Easton 10

The Veteran
What would be the benefit of an interlock grip versus just overlapping the pinky of the top hand? I'd think that the interlocking grip would hinder releasing the top hand.

For me it makes my hands work more as a unit....when I overlap I notice my top hand goes for more of a ride and my swing is dictated by more of my bottom hand....which for me caused some bat dragging. Carl rose used an interlocking grip...little different from what I used and he was one of the best. Like I said time and time again u just need to find what works best for u but don't be afraid to try different things cuz one minor tweek is all u might need to find that consistency

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
2 things I see.
1. You stop your hips short.
2. You collapse your front leg.
The hip could be from collapsing the front leg but hard to tell with hitting backside.
When you collapse the front leg it acts like a shock absorber and steals power and creates inconsistency.
As you start forward you straighten the front leg pushing back with the lower half while the top half goes forward.
This can create more torque but the timeline has to be near perfect.
One other thing is holding your bottom pinkey out instead of relaxing it around the knob.
This promotes the bat head dropping slightly, good for line drives but can cause inconsistency.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many reasons and excuses......."I do this because.........", "I do that because............" You don't want help. So, why even post a vid and ask for help?

Beauner

Starting Player
The tailing is what I am trying to do when I hit into RC, this works for me so if I square it up, it is hard through the middle but if it elevates it ends up in a gap without going over the fence (most of the time). I know the camera is bad also. The ball is at the front part of my body at contact for most of those hits.

If you're looking for the "slice" (in golf terms), then like LSX said - when you're swinging you want to see the ball as an inside half and outside half. Drive at the inside half of the ball with your current swing and you should see that slice/cut on those drives up the middle.

batting4th

Addicted to Softballfans
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many reasons and excuses......."I do this because.........", "I do that because............" You don't want help. So, why even post a vid and ask for help?

I am not new to swinging, not looking to start from scratch. I am trying to simply better explain myself to get info that is benificial to my existing swing. I am 6'8" 270lbs. I am not fast so somethings I do are to generate power because of a lack of bat head speed. I don't mean to offend you, it is just simple, some of these suggestions are being done just slower, they can be seen from different camera angle, some others don't make sense to me in the way they are explained. My hope is if I can clarify my current reasoning I can get additional feedback to understand the advice

Last edited:

batting4th

Addicted to Softballfans
2 things I see.
1. You stop your hips short.
2. You collapse your front leg.
The hip could be from collapsing the front leg but hard to tell with hitting backside.
When you collapse the front leg it acts like a shock absorber and steals power and creates inconsistency.
As you start forward you straighten the front leg pushing back with the lower half while the top half goes forward.
This can create more torque but the timeline has to be near perfect.
One other thing is holding your bottom pinkey out instead of relaxing it around the knob.
This promotes the bat head dropping slightly, good for line drives but can cause inconsistency.

This is good. I have been trying to keep power and work on these things. My hip does close, if I open it more I probably would get that linedrives movement I am looking for.