Swing weight opinions

WAIDDOG

REC E-
A good friend of mine maid a great point about swing weight. swing the heaviest weight that you can swing the fastest. so if you swing a 28 as fast as a 26, swing the 28. It is a great theory and works for me.

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
A good friend of mine maid a great point about swing weight. swing the heaviest weight that you can swing the fastest. so if you swing a 28 as fast as a 26, swing the 28. It is a great theory and works for me.

I hit moon shot cans of corn with 28s. :(

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
If you have a way to check your swing speed it would be a great tool. The Theory stated above is correct. The heaviest bat you can swing the fastest is the optimum choice for power.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
during BP i swing whatever people want to break in
doing this allows for usage of different weights, that is how i found out i get the best distance from heavier bats

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
If you have a way to check your swing speed it would be a great tool. The Theory stated above is correct. The heaviest bat you can swing the fastest is the optimum choice for power.
I wish I had a way to chk, B. I'm SOL.
during BP i swing whatever people want to break in
doing this allows for usage of different weights, that is how i found out i get the best distance from heavier bats

Sh*t, they all want to swing mine. Haha

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody will know how comfortable you are but you. If you dry swing heavier weights on a speed gun and find you can swing the heavier bat as fast, fine, but that doesn't simulate a game situation. For distance everything in this thread might be true, but this isn't a long drive competition. I think you've been playing long enough that the chance that you're swinging the wrong weight is very low.

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
Nobody will know how comfortable you are but you. If you dry swing heavier weights on a speed gun and find you can swing the heavier bat as fast, fine, but that doesn't simulate a game situation. For distance everything in this thread might be true, but this isn't a long drive competition. I think you've been playing long enough that the chance that you're swinging the wrong weight is very low.

Word. I used to swing TPS Blue clubs 20 years ago, but not now..

R. Boogie

Addicted to Softballfans
I like your approach during your tee work. I like that it looks like you have a plan for every swing and are trying to accomplish something specific each time. Just about all the shots in the video are hard line drives. I personally swing 26oz and don't feel the need to go up. It looks like you can use the old school 38oz and still smash. Stay where you are at and keep smashing.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
A good friend of mine made a great point about swing weight. swing the heaviest weight that you can swing the fastest. so if you swing a 28 as fast as a 26, swing the 28. It is a great theory and works for me.

The theory is actually the formula for Force to get technical.

Force= Mass X Acceleration

The problem is finding the best mix. A swing speed radar can help this but don't forget it's not just how hard you can swing it, you also have to be able to have the bat control. Hope this helps some.

And nice effing swing bro. Power backside shots, I love how you even practice starting squared up to the pitch. Good work ethic=great swing!

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
I like your approach during your tee work. I like that it looks like you have a plan for every swing and are trying to accomplish something specific each time. Just about all the shots in the video are hard line drives. I personally swing 26oz and don't feel the need to go up. It looks like you can use the old school 38oz and still smash. Stay where you are at and keep smashing.
Yea man, I did a little extra this year to get in a groove and I'm glad I did. Use to be a dead pull hitter until a few years ago. I got tired of being 2-4 vs 4-4.. :)

The theory is actually the formula for Force to get technical.

Force= Mass X Acceleration

The problem is finding the best mix. A swing speed radar can help this but don't forget it's not just how hard you can swing it, you also have to be able to have the bat control. Hope this helps some.

And nice effing swing bro. Power backside shots, I love how you even practice starting squared up to the pitch. Good work ethic=great swing!

Thanks on the swing Matt, It keeps the avg. up, thats for sure.. ;)

PMDawn

Banned User
As long as you aren't one of those fp for slopitch guys, you're gtg. Those 24-25oz swingers are chumps. I'm the same way as far as hitting backside. Seems like every homer i hit is center to right.

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
As long as you aren't one of those fp for slopitch guys, you're gtg. Those 24-25oz swingers are chumps. I'm the same way as far as hitting backside. Seems like every homer i hit is center to right.

I disagree with you on this. When my arse is tired, I WILL bring out the feather weights..;)

G_Money

Addicted to Softballfans
hey bdub, do you do training/warm-up with weight/donuts on your bats? i notice instant results in bat speed to where even my 30 oz. feels light to me. i swing with a donut during my workout the night before a game, then again 3-4 hours before game time (if work permits) and again before each at bat. 28 or 30 ounce bats feel super light by then and i know i'm probably swinging faster in the on-deck circle then i do when the pitch comes in... at least it seems that way. the ball was jumpin' off my bat all year using this training technique... and like i mentioned i'm not that big of a guy. but, i just thought i'd pass on what's working for me. i'm always surprised to see so many people swing 26 oz bats on here when i always look for 28's. i always felt i wouldn't get the same pop from a lighter bat, but now i am curious to compare some 26's... just don't have any...boohoo lol!

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
hey bdub, do you do training/warm-up with weight/donuts on your bats? i notice instant results in bat speed to where even my 30 oz. feels light to me. i swing with a donut during my workout the night before a game, then again 3-4 hours before game time (if work permits) and again before each at bat. 28 or 30 ounce bats feel super light by then and i know i'm probably swinging faster in the on-deck circle then i do when the pitch comes in... at least it seems that way. the ball was jumpin' off my bat all year using this training technique... and like i mentioned i'm not that big of a guy. but, i just thought i'd pass on what's working for me. i'm always surprised to see so many people swing 26 oz bats on here when i always look for 28's. i always felt i wouldn't get the same pop from a lighter bat, but now i am curious to compare some 26's... just don't have any...boohoo lol!
Yes, I lift but not heavy. I want definition not bulk. I pitch and need to keep it moving. To much bulk makes me too damn stiff. Lol
Nah, but all jokes aside, I do more push ups than lifting with push up bars.
If u want ur triceps/pecs to blow up, get a set. Also, I've been taking Force Factor the past 3 months. The sh*t works!!!!!!

I've been swinging 26s since 1998. I used to swing the heavy sticks In the late 80s, but not now. I hate anything over 27.

Oh, and yes I do use a donut and a weighted bat to warm up.

Thanks for the info bro, I appreciate it.

G_Money

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, I lift but not heavy. I want definition not bulk. I pitch and need to keep it moving. To much bulk makes me too damn stiff. Lol
Nah, but all jokes aside, I do more push ups than lifting with push up bars.
If u want ur triceps/pecs to blow up, get a set. Also, I've been taking Force Factor the past 3 months. The sh*t works!!!!!!

I've been swinging 26s since 1998. I used to swing the heavy sticks In the late 80s, but not now. I hate anything over 27.

Oh, and yes I do use a donut and a weighted bat to warm up.

Thanks for the info bro, I appreciate it.

yeah, i hear ya... i don't lift heavy (if at all) during my softball seasons... just need to keep strong, fit and flexible. my routine is biking, sprinting, cardio, push-ups and resistance bands work as well as Yoga and Plyometrics (Jump Training) and of course swinging the bat and BP sessions. If you have't tried Yoga or Plyo I'd highly recommend these types of exercises. I've got these P90X training DVD's that are awesome. However, these workouts are very extreme but the results are incredible... will make you a better athlete for sure. took me doing them several times before I could even get through the work-outs completely and I'd say I'm well above average when it comes to exercise and endurance. The older I get (turning 40 soon) the more work I gotta do to be able to perform at the same high level. But its all worth it after going 4-4 and picking it clean at short and then have the hot shot 20 year olds from the other team go "Damn dude, nice game!" ;) Well, just thought I'd share some more info with ya as I appreciate what you share. All this talk has got me excited ... gotta go get to the gym! Later buddy, G$

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
yeah, i hear ya... i don't lift heavy (if at all) during my softball seasons... just need to keep strong, fit and flexible. my routine is biking, sprinting, cardio, push-ups and resistance bands work as well as Yoga and Plyometrics (Jump Training) and of course swinging the bat and BP sessions. If you have't tried Yoga or Plyo I'd highly recommend these types of exercises. I've got these P90X training DVD's that are awesome. However, these workouts are very extreme but the results are incredible... will make you a better athlete for sure. took me doing them several times before I could even get through the work-outs completely and I'd say I'm well above average when it comes to exercise and endurance. The older I get (turning 40 soon) the more work I gotta do to be able to perform at the same high level. But its all worth it after going 4-4 and picking it clean at short and then have the hot shot 20 year olds from the other team go "Damn dude, nice game!" ;) Well, just thought I'd share some more info with ya as I appreciate what you share. All this talk has got me excited ... gotta go get to the gym! Later buddy, G$

Funny you should say that. I have P90 and Insanity. Just dont have the time to commit to it. Even though its the off season, that's when I'm in the books.

Soon as I retire from the Military, I'm going to give it a shot.

Turning 40 is a big deal man, I'm working on 45 this December.

Keep doing what you do, and have fun doing it, bro..

chris22186

Addicted to SBF!
^^^^^^^^^^^^You should have a poll so that you can see your results...I had the same problems, didnt know whether to swing heavy or light. I started heavy and realized that I had no control of the bat. I dropped down until I realized I should be swinging a lighter bat. My first bat was a 33/21 Sc777 aluminum I found laying around and I started to swing that. I was able to pretty much dominate the placement of the ball. I was even hitting balls farther than other heavy set guys. So really It's what fits your swing, I dont see anything wrong with swinging lite!!!!!!

Even the Long Haul Bombers swing light bats!!!!!!

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
Keep swinging those 25 26 ozers they work well for you . when ray demarini did his bat testing he concluded almost everyball player should be swinging 26ers or less because the gain in bat speed made up from the weight of the bat pushing through the ball .

G_Money

Addicted to Softballfans
Funny you should say that. I have P90 and Insanity. Just dont have the time to commit to it. Even though its the off season, that's when I'm in the books.

Soon as I retire from the Military, I'm going to give it a shot.

Turning 40 is a big deal man, I'm working on 45 this December.

Keep doing what you do, and have fun doing it, bro..

you too buddy! happy holidays to ya!

hoimin

Addicted to Softballfans
That is a beautiful swing and a well made video.

"Swing the heaviest bat that you can swing the fastest" refers to the conservation of momentum (bat-mass x bat-velocity = ball-mass x ball-velocity). Force is the rate of change in momentum (force = mass x acceleration) as mentioned earlier. The more momentum your bat has, the farther the ball will travel. Unaccounted for in these formulas is bat control; since you prefer going oppo, lighter is better for you.

I think he suggested heavier because he saw you were pretty jacked.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Remember it is not the total weight but where the weight is.
Buy a digital scale, they are $8 at buy.com so you first know what the real weight is and then you can find the swing weight by putting the end of the bat in the middle of the scale and getting something that will lift the knob end so that the bat is only touching the scale at the very end.
a 28 oz bat with a 16.2 swing weight will swing completely different than a 28 with a 17.2 sw.

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
Rips look good bro, 2nd base gettin eaten up. Looks like that weight works
Thanks bro, been working on it the past couple years. I was dead pull for a long time.
That is a beautiful swing and a well made video.

"Swing the heaviest bat that you can swing the fastest" refers to the conservation of momentum (bat-mass x bat-velocity = ball-mass x ball-velocity). Force is the rate of change in momentum (force = mass x acceleration) as mentioned earlier. The more momentum your bat has, the farther the ball will travel. Unaccounted for in these formulas is bat control; since you prefer going oppo, lighter is better for you.

I think he suggested heavier because he saw you were pretty jacked.
Thanks bro, I have a couple flaws I need to tweak so I have my work cut out for me.

bdub69

Is a bat P-I-M-P!
Remember it is not the total weight but where the weight is.
Buy a digital scale, they are $8 at buy.com so you first know what the real weight is and then you can find the swing weight by putting the end of the bat in the middle of the scale and getting something that will lift the knob end so that the bat is only touching the scale at the very end.
a 28 oz bat with a 16.2 swing weight will swing completely different than a 28 with a 17.2 sw.
Thanks again for the hands tip, I see what you were saying.