Swinging heavier bats

dp3

Starting Player
Ive been swinging 26oz. For about 3 yrs. Now . Use to swing 28oz. For many yrs but was thinking of going back to the 28oz. This next yr 2018. I feel like maybe the heavier bats hit the mush balls better now days. I will be 49 next season 2018.
Can I get some opinions on this thanks.
Dp23

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
IMO the heavier bats hit better than lighter ones. I am 84 and up till about a month ago have always swung 30 oz end loaded with success. Dropped down to a 28 oz Miken DC41 figuring the 1 oz end load would kind of compensate for the lighter weight. Seems to be working but still need some adjustment to my swing not to be ahead of the ball.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
If you swing both bats at the same speed the heavier bat will outperform the lighter bat. But you need to take into consideration if the extra weight will mess with your mechanics. I would try a 27oz first, it seems to be a happy medium between mass and speed

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I've always said, swing the heaviest bat you can generate decent bat speed with. I'm 5' 7", 165lbs and have always swung 27-28oz bats. Balanced, but still heavy.

This is also bro-science, but I swear durability is better with heavier bats.

defos

I'm 62 and have been swinging endloaded 30 oz bats for years. I did start swinging endloaded 28s part of the time this year only because 30s are hard to find these days. Ditto what the guys said above.

Last edited:

dp3

Starting Player
I'm 62 and have been swinging endloaded 30 oz bats for years. I did start swinging endloaded 28s part of the time this year only because 30s are hard to find these days. Ditto what the guys said above.
Hey thanks so much for your input.

dp3

Starting Player
IMO the heavier bats hit better than lighter ones. I am 84 and up till about a month ago have always swung 30 oz end loaded with success. Dropped down to a 28 oz Miken DC41 figuring the 1 oz end load would kind of compensate for the lighter weight. Seems to be working but still need some adjustment to my swing not to be ahead of the ball.
Thanks for your input. And god bless you still playing at 84 I hope Im so lucky

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I swing 28-30 oz bats primarily. I do have 1 26 oz bat, but I use it generally for hitting singles/place hitting. I fully believe that heavier bats hit balls harder/further than light ones.

I know this debate has been on here numerous times. I'm not going to waste time trying to convince people that heavier bats are better, but in head to head contests with 26 and 30 oz bats I've always found the heavier bat to outhit the light one. I believe a lot of guys could swing heavier bats than they do.

I've played many, many tournaments where I had the only 28 oz bats in the dugout. Many guys my size or larger swing 25-26 oz... and I can't figure out why.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
I've played many, many tournaments where I had the only 28 oz bats in the dugout. Many guys my size or larger swing 25-26 oz... and I can't figure out why.

Just had this happen to me yesterday. I either go with 28 EL or a balanced 30.

Country469

WHERE the weight is at in the batter matters. If its in the handle, its not helping much. EL, yes. Most bats made today use the dame shell for all weight models, and add weight to the handle. meh.

Bow Commander

I swing a 30 ounce Juggy and love it. Spank the ball. I swung my buddy's 26 ounce Juggy and it felt like a wiffle ball bat with little pop and no control. Obviously would take some practice to adjust, but I didn't like the feel at all.

sosa2314

Laser show
My .02 and thats all. I swing a 27 oz bat. I'm a bigger dude. 27 oz gives me control and enough pop, and I can swing it all tournament. It doesn't feel like a log after a long day in the brackets.

r8dr_rider

Go heavy. I was on the fence with this too. I have a 26, 27 and 28. Recently got the 26 thinking I would get better speed since I was swinging a 27 and 28. Not a power hitter but good a good contact hitter. 26 feels like crap. My end loaded 28 hits dingers all day.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Go heavy. I was on the fence with this too. I have a 26, 27 and 28. Recently got the 26 thinking I would get better speed since I was swinging a 27 and 28. Not a power hitter but good a good contact hitter. 26 feels like crap. My end loaded 28 hits dingers all day.

I think its actually easier to get used to swinging bats that are slightly heavier than your comfort zone rather than lighter. And once you square a ball up well with a heavy bat a couple times you'll never want to go back to really light stuff.

r8dr_rider

Just finished a company tourney and one of our guys was swinging a 30 oz. hit two bombs out of the park in the championship game. I was so inclined to use it but stayed with my 28oz CV12 since I was hot with it all day.

acme17

Addicted to Softballfans

30 oz endloads are definitely hard to find these days.

4xtra

Player/Coach
I swing 28-30 oz bats primarily. I do have 1 26 oz bat, but I use it generally for hitting singles/place hitting. I fully believe that heavier bats hit balls harder/further than light ones.

I know this debate has been on here numerous times. I'm not going to waste time trying to convince people that heavier bats are better, but in head to head contests with 26 and 30 oz bats I've always found the heavier bat to outhit the light one. I believe a lot of guys could swing heavier bats than they do.

I see that alot.
A guy I know is 6-3 280-300 lbs and swings a 26oz Patriot.

Im 5-10 235lb and prefer 28 and 30oz

Hiltz

Built for comfort
30 oz endloads are definitely hard to find these days.

You're pretty much limited to 1 or 2 models from Easton, Worth, and Miken. I don't know if Demarini still makes 30's, but the ones they used to make always scaled below 29.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You're pretty much limited to 1 or 2 models from Easton, Worth, and Miken. I don't know if Demarini still makes 30's, but the ones they used to make always scaled below 29.

I know, its sad. I don't like a 30 all the time or even super often, but when I want to swing heavy, I want it to be freaking HEAVY. Easton's 30s are very legit and swing like axes. With a 30 oz bat it feels like you're cutting butter with a hot knife when you hit a ball well.

Jerrshoe

Not unlike a lot of other members on this forum, I buy and sell quite a few bats to figure out what I like and what I don't. A question of most appropriate bat weight is only able to be answered by the individual, as there are a myriad of variables. Swing mechanics, individual strength, bat design, end loading, etc, will all have an effect on the felt weight of the bat. Also, I often feel like a 30oz Easton feels like a 28oz Miken or vice versa depending on the model.

I tend to be a heavy bat fan myself. It's basic physics. As long as you can swing it and make good contact, the heavier bat will create more exit speed and result in greater distance. I spent one season swinging the lighter stuff and not only had a noticeable decrease in distance hitting the Classic M, but also didn't feel like I could control the bat as well. Rather than the heavier bat doing most of the work, I tended to over swing to compensate for the lighter stick and it threw off my swing trajectory.

Again, this is just me, but a heavier bat is better all around for me. You may be different. I'm 6'0 225 and swing a 28oz with .5 endload is what I'm swinging right now.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I agree that when swinging a heavier bat you tend to let the bat do more of the work. I know if I try to swing a 26 consistently it feels like I'm using too much arm and wrist to snap the very light bat around. With 28s and 30s its more like a centrifuge. The power/snap will come naturally if you're doing it right. You don't have to create exaggerated snap with unnecessary wrist or arm action.

Normy

I moved up from a 26 ounce with a slight endload to a 27 with a touch more endload. So far so good. I can't vouch for any other ball except the 52. Definitely added a little extra distance without sacrificing batting average. I wouldn't encourage going from a 26 balanced to a 30 ounce fully loaded. Everyone's different and needs to find his/her own happy medium. Just my 2 cents.

Cowan256

Starting Player
I started with 28oz and over the years migrated down to 26oz (although a brief affair with the Lady Virus at 25oz back for those few months it was legal) and now have found myself going back up in weight after playing in some wood bat leagues and finding that the extra weight didn't bother me. The next few times you play on league night, don't take your bat. Swing everyone else's bats and try out the different weights and barrel lengths and get a feel for what you like. The key here is DON'T TAKE YOUR BAT, because if you do you'll use it.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The next few times you play on league night, don't take your bat. Swing everyone else's bats and try out the different weights and barrel lengths and get a feel for what you like. The key here is DON'T TAKE YOUR BAT, because if you do you'll use it.

I've played with guys that have done this for years.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I started with 28oz and over the years migrated down to 26oz (although a brief affair with the Lady Virus at 25oz back for those few months it was legal) and now have found myself going back up in weight after playing in some wood bat leagues and finding that the extra weight didn't bother me. The next few times you play on league night, don't take your bat. Swing everyone else's bats and try out the different weights and barrel lengths and get a feel for what you like. The key here is DON'T TAKE YOUR BAT, because if you do you'll use it.

I'm an Easton swinger, and I own Eastons from 26 to 30 oz. The great majority of them are 28s and 30s though. I MUCH prefer 28s-30s over the lighter options. However, I will pick up the 26 for occasional base hitting/placement type swings. Not for power. The 27s will get the job done from a power standpoint, but I still feel they're too light to really maximize distance.

I like your idea of trying other peoples' bats to get an idea of what better fits your swing. Most guys I know swing bats that are far too light for them. They don't even take the time to TRY heavier bats. Its like seeing "28 oz." on the bat intimidates them. Fact is, any person can train themselves to swing a bat that's a little heavier than what they usually swing..... and end up really liking the results. I've been swinging heavy bats since I started playing softball 18 years ago.

I think a lot of these guys who swing 25-26 oz bats could work their way up to 28s and be hitting balls further than they have before.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Most guys I know swing bats that are far too light for them. They don't even take the time to TRY heavier bats. Its like seeing "28 oz." on the bat intimidates them.

I think a lot of that is because peoples' perceptions have been changed by what's available. When I started playing, there were basically 3 options: light (26), average (28), and heavy (30). Then 27's got super popular and everyone started considering 26, 27, and 28 to be light, average, and heavy. 30's pretty much fell by the wayside. Now you have bats in 24 and 25 ounces and only a few companies still making 30's.