Swings smooth through the zone

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I see this in more and more reviews. Not really sure WTF it means.
So maybe we can start a list of bats that DON'T swing smooth through the zone and I'll have a better understanding.

Please list below......

Country469

anything over 26 oz - all the little babies who aren't man enough to at least swing a 26 oz bat jesus you guys are lame

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always hear it for endloaded bats. I think it's hilarious because the reviewer isn't selling them and this used to be a favorite for reps when people were afraid they couldn't swing the endloaded, so the rep would say it's smooth through the zone though you'll be fine.

I just assume they're repeating something they heard someone else say for a completely different ignorant reason.

Now, a glove that can stay open until the catch, I'd pay for that.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
It's basically a phrase that reviewers use when they can't think of anything else to say. Give me a dozen bats from different manufacturers in the same weight/endload and I can't feel a difference dry swinging them. The only thing that really differs is exit speed, sweetspot size/location, and feel on contact. But 2 minute YouTube videos won't get you that sweet internet money, guy.

Having said that, I can think of ONE bat that just felt weird to swing; a Demarini One.12. Thing had no weight in the endcap and felt like all 28oz was concentrated in the taper.

Normy

Normally the .5 oz endloaded bats get the "swings smooth through the zone" comment. The sledgehammers and balanced are either too heavy or too flippy it seams..

ShortYellowBus

Swings smooth through the zone to me indicates a soft barrel with little to no feedback from ball contact. It’s all the hard work the bat company engineers put in to make the products better.

The term probably comes from dudes hitting single piece composite bats and then coming across the new 2-4 piece bats with non-linear tech’s in the barrel of the bats.

My favorite old time bats are the Stealth St100 and St100h. Even after 6k hits, the ball hitting the barrel goes down into the hands. Missed hits sting.

If I switch to a newer Miken or Worth, the feedback is gone. Smooth through the zone.

Normy

Swings smooth through the zone to me indicates a soft barrel with little to no feedback from ball contact. It’s all the hard work the bat company engineers put in to make the products better.

The term probably comes from dudes hitting single piece composite bats and then coming across the new 2-4 piece bats with non-linear tech’s in the barrel of the bats.

My favorite old time bats are the Stealth St100 and St100h. Even after 6k hits, the ball hitting the barrel goes down into the hands. Missed hits sting.

If I switch to a newer Miken or Worth, the feedback is gone. Smooth through the zone.
That too lol

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's basically a phrase that reviewers use when they can't think of anything else to say. Give me a dozen bats from different manufacturers in the same weight/endload and I can't feel a difference dry swinging them. The only thing that really differs is exit speed, sweetspot size/location, and feel on contact. But 2 minute YouTube videos won't get you that sweet internet money, guy.

Having said that, I can think of ONE bat that just felt weird to swing; a Demarini One.12. Thing had no weight in the endcap and felt like all 28oz was concentrated in the taper.
Demarini was out in the weeds for awhile. You should try a 26 oz geezer if you ever get the chance. Mine scaled at 29.1 ounces. They said the extra was in the knob so it was still a 26, the only way they could get it to pass. Yeah right.

dunkky

I see this in more and more reviews. Not really sure WTF it means.
So maybe we can start a list of bats that DON'T swing smooth through the zone and I'll have a better understanding.

i have no clue honesty. they are all same damn shape, so air friction is irrelevant. Only thing is weight and weight distribution. Which has nothing to do with some specific brands. I guess it's just one of the terms to convince yourself, you like your bat a lot.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
L6 swings fine, but it sure doesn't have a very large sweetspot. If you miss it, good luck. It'll rattle your hands badly.

Actually, for ASA use I like the L6 a lot. It handles .52s well.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
To me.......It seems like bats that are smooth through the zone are great line drive bats. Really hard line drives, with not a lot of fly balls. But, they also generate a lot of back top spin balls with great exit velocity but no distance. The larger sweet spot on them is kind of small unless you use the conventional reverse rotation overlap drop finger grip....Since I'm a power hitter with no pop.....The balanced endload models work the best for me.

Matth

To me.......It seems like bats that are smooth through the zone are great line drive bats. Really hard line drives, with not a lot of fly balls. But, they also generate a lot of back top spin balls with great exit velocity but no distance. The larger sweet spot on them is kind of small unless you use the conventional reverse rotation overlap drop finger grip....Since I'm a power hitter with no pop.....The balanced endload models work the best for me.
Lmao