Any tagging up

masarobinson

Superstar in the making.
League night...
1 out I'm on first, batter hits fly ball to left center which was bobbled and dropped but caught before it hit the ground by the RC who backed up the catch. I tagged from first as soon as the LC first bobbled, however was called out by umpire when the defense appealed my tag. He stated I needed to wait for the tag until the player catching the ball touches it. He wasn't disputing me leaving at first touch.

Tried looking this up in usssa rule book but couldn't find it. Thank in advance for help.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
The definition of a Sacrifice Fly says :" SACRIFICE FLY is any caught fair fly ball that permits a runner to SCORE a run after a caught fly ball is first touched.

Rule 8, Sec. 6. BASE RUNNERS ARE ENTITLED TO ADVANCE WITH LIABILITY TO
BE OUT:
C. When any legally caught fly ball is first touched by a fielder.

sjury

The Old Man
^^^ WAIT, there are supposed to be two pages of arguments before someone posts the actual rule. You sir are in violation of the SBF code. How do you expect people to get their post counts up?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
^^^ WAIT, there are supposed to be two pages of arguments before someone posts the actual rule. You sir are in violation of the SBF code. How do you expect people to get their post counts up?

Give it time. If it's true to most of these rule question posts, the rule isn't what they want to hear. They will spend 3 more pages arguing with guys with over 100 years umpiring, much of it at high level, that their answer is wrong.

"What's the rule, I need your help?"

"The rule says you are out"

"No, that's not right. They cheated! The sun was in my eyes! You didn't take into account I bat left handed and have red shoes on!!"

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Can always go back to the ump if he doesn't believe you and casually ask him what's to stop anyone from playing hot potato with the ball all the way into the infield and then lobbing it to someone else who technically "catches" it. Another rule put in places ages ago to protect the offense from d-bag moves

masarobinson

Superstar in the making.
He was saying it's first touch of the player catching the ball. I knew he was wrong just needed the reference to show him next time.

Can always go back to the ump if he doesn't believe you and casually ask him what's to stop anyone from playing hot potato with the ball all the way into the infield and then lobbing it to someone else who technically "catches" it. Another rule put in places ages ago to protect the offense from an IMPOSSIBLE move that has never been done

Fixed........

BlindEarth

Addicted to Softballfans
Amazes me to this day how often this gets botched. I've even met players who actually think the fielder has to complete the catch before you can go.

You win a protest here. Nothing beats getting to replay the game after that point and still losing (at least that is what happens to me).

No it hasnt well at least that anybody has seen or video taped thats for sure.

The rule makes sense though. The runner shouldn't have to wait or determine when the fielder has finally caught the ball.

Thats what the rule is for not some far fetched once in a billion fantacy land scenario.