Technique question on cutting

Hellens

Addicted to Softballfans
In watching the video below, it looks like the hitter is getting great results in ball flight with a nice cut. I notice his back elbow is pointed down, and his starting bat angle is much flatter than what I've been used to and taught over the years.

So is this a good technique that enables a more efficient angle of the bat for cutting the ball? Or is it just what this particular hitter has used to allow him to feel more comfortable? As in do I just need to find what works for me and stick with it?

Thanks bros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TEeO7jSM1nw

slink35

Addicted to Softballfans
I think at least for this video, his success getting back spin is mostly due to the height of those pitches. I would be interested to see if he could do the same with lower pitches.

JStout863

Softball is Dumb
Couple things..

He hits a LOT of BP with his setup.

He's built like a brick ****house

He hits the ball VERY well

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
dayvin something I think. I wouldn't copy that swing because that whole starting position looks very uncomfortable to me.

deKilla

Coach
He has major bat whip!! he almost drills himself into the ground every swing. I have one guy on one of my teams that swings like that, crushes the ball.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Power A is the ideal arm position... He is tucked a little too much for me. The bat angel is good for allowing him to come through the zone right, I couldn't start there though.

silverbullet01

I'm a ginger!!!
I'll give it a try.

Looks like a lot of outs in D tournies
This made me get the lul'z.
I think at least for this video, his success getting back spin is mostly due to the height of those pitches. I would be interested to see if he could do the same with lower pitches.

I don't think he or anyone would get the same height and distance on those balls if the pitch was say around his thighs. It would be a surface-to-air missle I believe. The way I learned was by hitting off a tee and hitting the ball at the lower half. Also, you can practice cutting the ball when you take live BP when you tap the ball back to the pitcher, and you can do this by hitting pepper to your teammates. It took me a good month to get the slightly downward motion of the bat to meet the ball where I wanted it to. Good luck.

blakcherry329

My guess is he plays mostly ASA. Everything is high in the zone. Good high ball hitter, no doubt. Also he's a little off balance.
I wouldn't give him anything above 6' 1". ;) Throw outside a lot(hopefully he wouldn't hit it back at me. lol) Nice swing, overall.

deKilla

Coach
Even though he hits the ball a ton. I dislike that swing. It kind of seems to me its a "technique" rather than a swing. Like the one poster said, he needs a specific pitch to hit that technique. I like to be able to take any pitch location for a hit especially with two strikes down. If he meets up with the wrong pitcher he could go 0/5.

mschrage

Addicted to Softballfans
All he does is work on hit homeruns, which is the easiest part of the game. If you wanna learn how cut a ball don't use this video as a starting point. If he has a different video of him not hitting fly ball after fly ball maybe, but his swing is not that impressive.

fives55

Addicted to Softballfans
but his swing is not that impressive
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't stop laughing! It's a home run titled vid, and some of those shots are over 400'.

So just what would impress?

grubd

Banned User
I took that video as humor. It is one of those.pop up emails like getting rick rolled. It is the same thing over and over and doesn't seem to end.

deKilla

Coach
well I believe he is using a pitching machine and hitting identical pitches. I would give him borderline low pitches and maybe walk him, I bet he would go on tilt :D

Jamz613

The Rookie
It's a home-run compilation video...not a video of his swing mechanics or hitting ability. I've actually adopted something similar where I almost start with the bat resting on my shoulder before a big step and a whip. Has improved my line-drive and home-run consistency.

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
if you pause the video at every point of contact his form is perfect. lead shoulder high, rear shoulder low, back elbow low as well. all weight transferred to the front foot. That is power contact made perfect. The cut is a natural byproduct

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
if you pause the video at every point of contact his form is perfect. lead shoulder high, rear shoulder low, back elbow low as well. all weight transferred to the front foot. That is power contact made perfect. The cut is a natural byproduct

But they're all home runs. :rolleyes:

dayvin3

Addicted to Softballfans
dayvin something I think. I wouldn't copy that swing because that whole starting position looks very uncomfortable to me.

I've learned over the years that for me it doesn't matter where my hands or elbow start, I always end up in the same launch position. I just go with what ever feels comfortable to me at the time.

he would be called out for touching or crossing the plate. huge swings though.

21 years of playing and I have never been called out for touching or crossing the plate.

All he does is work on hit homeruns, which is the easiest part of the game. If you wanna learn how cut a ball don't use this video as a starting point. If he has a different video of him not hitting fly ball after fly ball maybe, but his swing is not that impressive.

How do you know what I work on?

Who takes the time to actually take all their homerun swings and make a compilation? If you wanna copy a swing for cutting check this video out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqU7ImlRCnU

I got a new camera and decided to make a few bat review videos for this site, was bored at work and made the compilation. Looking back it was a little ridiculous, but I like listening to the crack of the bat.

Gators8820

Addicted to Softballfans
Where in Florida is this video shot & what kind of pitching machine are you using?

I've learned over the years that for me it doesn't matter where my hands or elbow start, I always end up in the same launch position. I just go with what ever feels comfortable to me at the time.

21 years of playing and I have never been called out for touching or crossing the plate.

How do you know what I work on?

I got a new camera and decided to make a few bat review videos for this site, was bored at work and made the compilation. Looking back it was a little ridiculous, but I like listening to the crack of the bat.

Martell

Texas/New Mex Vinci Rep
Who takes the time to actually take all their homerun swings and make a compilation? If you wanna copy a swing for cutting check this video out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqU7ImlRCnU

This is the video I use to re-time my swing when it gets out of whack, I try to get a downward swing through the ball like chopping a tree down...takes a lot of practice and you will hit a ton of ground balls until after awhile you start getting through the middle of the ball rather than on top.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans

We'll start sending you bats to review so you can keep posting then. :D