Tee thread?

BruceinGa

always online
I never do any tee work, never did. It was always baseball in the cages since I have always played both fast pitch and slow pitch.
I'm just here for the exchange of info.
I can post cage sessions or do I need to start another thread? :cool::D;)
Please start another.

BruceinGa

always online
In my mind I try to replicate each swing off the tee. That holds true with ball placement on the tee, position of the tee, height
of the tee etc.
I have always thought that if I hit the ball with straight spin I would want 4 seams in the the spin, to get max distance. Anything but 4 seams wouldn't result in max distance. Refer to my last post where I was getting side spin.
When you are trying to fine-tune you swing you need to replicate each swing. So, soft toss, cages and live pitching is not what I want here.
I have used all three but not to fine tune my swing.
Don't get me wrong, I have used those three things tens of thousands of times and they are great for putting the ball on the sweet spot and hitting the ball out front. There are so many other things that I prefer develop off the tee.
I'm glad you are reading and replying! :)

blakcherry329

I was never a tee person, mostly because I was too lazy to go chase the balls:), but mainly because I didn't feel like I could get in a rhythm when I had to stop to place the ball, then get in a stance. Much the same way I'm not a fan of the pop toss, but I digress.
So take my opinion for what it's worth...
imo, to fine tune your swing, ball placement shouldn't really matter.
Worrying about ball placement and distance off the tee is less important than technique and form at impact. If you have a certain distance and spin when you place a ball a certain way every time, how will that translate when the ball is spinning and not in exactly the same location?

BBQman

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure what I can contribute, but it's been a long time away from the game. I try to hit 200 balls a week off of a tee. I've graduated from a traffic cone on a crate to a Tanner tee. I usually hit it at the maximum height or sometimes an inch of two lower.

The two fields closest to my house are often only 300 feet, and their are plenty of dog walkers, whose ire I sometimes raise. As such, I often use older, 2000 era ASA bats, or a DeMarini Steel. I'm hitting .44/375s which are all at least fifteen years old. With roll, balls go in the 270-290 foot range when the field(s) are dry.

About six weeks ago I got a 3.5 pound jimmer stick at hit nearly half the balls with that training aid. Over the course of a week I take 80 swings with the jimmer stick.

I usually hit to center, rather than pull, due to dog walkers. I try to hit the ball squarely, rather than cut the ball.

I can't give much feedback on bats, although I did buy an ASA Backlash (per Uncle Mosk's bat thread), 26 oz. that I use in league. It seems to out hit the 2000 era ASA bats (mainly a PST) and Demarini Steel by 5-7 feet or so.

BruceinGa

always online
Not sure what I can contribute, but it's been a long time away from the game. I try to hit 200 balls a week off of a tee. I've graduated from a traffic cone on a crate to a Tanner tee. I usually hit it at the maximum height or sometimes an inch of two lower.

The two fields closest to my house are often only 300 feet, and their are plenty of dog walkers, whose ire I sometimes raise. As such, I often use older, 2000 era ASA bats, or a DeMarini Steel. I'm hitting .44/375s which are all at least fifteen years old. With roll, balls go in the 270-290 foot range when the field(s) are dry.

About six weeks ago I got a 3.5 pound jimmer stick at hit nearly half the balls with that training aid. Over the course of a week I take 80 swings with the jimmer stick.

I usually hit to center, rather than pull, due to dog walkers. I try to hit the ball squarely, rather than cut the ball.

I can't give much feedback on bats, although I did buy an ASA Backlash (per Uncle Mosk's bat thread), 26 oz. that I use in league. It seems to out hit the 2000 era ASA bats (mainly a PST) and Demarini Steel by 5-7 feet or so.
Props to you for putting in the hours! Good idea , using the Jimmer Stick.
You could move the tee over and out further so you would be pulling the ball.
Check out some of my posts here about 15 years ago. I too used a traffic cone set on top of a wood wine crate.

BruceinGa

always online
Here's a few things that I have realized through my tee work.
1) To get maximum distance I need to strike the ball at approximately 4 inches in front of my foot after my stride.
2) If I flex my back knee I get another 10-15 feet in distance.
3) If I keep my head back and don't lunge I get 10-20 more feet.
I believe 2 and 3 are related. By flexing my rear knee it makes it harder, if not impossible, to lunge.

BruceinGa

always online
I now realize that 10-20 feet doesn't mean much by itself. Most here don't know my max distance.
If I lunge my max distance is about 285 feet. If I stay back my max is about 305. There's the 20 feet.
The bat I used in this instance was a 28oz Nightmare.

Last edited:

BruceinGa

always online
Temperatures have been chilly but it did reach 67 yesterday.
I've hit live pitching twice in the past week and hit about 75 balls off the tee yesterday.
I've played in Florida Half Century, the SSUSA toc and the ISSA toc since January. I love playing in Florida!
My tee work paid off as I won the Hitting accuracy and Homerun contest at the SSUSA tournament. (Sorry for the brag post.)
Back to the tee post.
I've found that if I taka a wide stance, wider than my shoulders width, it prevents me from lunging. That equates to a 5% increase in distance!
BTW, the bats that I used yesterday with the tee were my 28oz Nightmare and my 28oz Hitman44.
Also, the Nightmare is no longer allowed in SSUSA.
Good luck to all this year!

defos

I've waited far too long to join this thread, so here goes. I'm 68 and play doubleheaders in a rec league with the young guys on Sundays. I'm retired, so I have plenty of time to hit, and virtually unlimited access to the ballfield at my church where we hosted a co-ed league for 20 years. The league ran its course and ended after the 2019 season when we were down to 3 teams. The fence is right at 300'. The church is only a mile from my house. I've maintained the infield for over 20 years and have the only known keys to the Job Box at the field, so I keep my tee, the balls, and usually a bat or two there - no excuses for me not hitting, plus it's fun!

I manage the team I play on, so I end up with all the game balls, which are a mix of Evils, Hot Dots, Tattoos, and Dudleys, all .52/300 ASA. I hit the previous year's balls. I have about 30 in the bag, and usually hit 2 rounds. I feel like 30 swings at a time is about right. If I'm in a rut and something's off that day, it just gets worse after 25-30. If I'm hitting well, I sometimes start to screw up after that many. I hit about twice a week last year from mid-March through Nov, and a couple of times in Dec when we had some 60 degree days.

I bat right-handed, but right center has always been my natural hitting zone, although I've taught myself to hit all over the field - except right down the left field line. Off the tee, I hit most everything to LC. Against live pitching, I'll go with the pitch or the situation. Midsummer last year, I started focusing on hitting line drives over the infield, and it really paid off. I got a new bat a week or two later that seems to be made for line drives with my swing.

More later!

defos

When I posted the above post, the weather looked like it was warming up and I had visions of hitting off the tee at least a couple of times a week. It was right at 80 degrees the last Sunday in Feb and the first Sunday in March, so a few of my teammates and I got together for live bp. The wind was blowing around 30 mph from the left field corner toward about halfway down the right field line the first Sunday in March, so it was kinda hard to tell if we were doing much good, but we each hit a nice liner or two to LC in spite of the wind. Then the temps dropped back to more normal, and most of the warmer days were too windy to keep a ball on the tee. Life set in as well. I've been fixing our vehicles most of the last month when not transporting and caring for my grandkids.

Anyway, Friday was the first I've been able to hit off the tee, with another live bp session today. Last season I realized my stride had shortened to the point of not being of much benefit, so that's what I concentrated on in my Dec sessions. That seems to have paid off as it's been back to where it should be in the live rounds. During Friday's tee session, I thought I might have been opening my hips a bit early, but I wasn't in live bp today.

I've long dropped my pinkie to either on or below the knob, and overlapped my top pinkie. In the middle of one at-bat last summer, I realized I'd dropped 2 fingers and overlapped 2. It was a distraction once I realized it, but I didn't want to change in the middle of an at-bat. I think I walked, so it didn't matter. That's the only time I've done that, but I noticed during the 1st live session this spring, and every time I've gripped a bat since, that I'm dropping my pinkie like always, but I'm automatically overlapping 2 fingers. It's something new, but it's working, so I'm not going to change back.

The weather looks to be pretty good this week, so I hope to hit at least once or twice.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I use both a Tee & PopToss in my Alone BP... I hit off the Tee to work on stance, swing and build muscle memory. I hit off the PopToss to work on timing & hit placement. (My PopToss Setup)

I setup the PopToss at one end of the field, practice hitting a bucket of 30 balls (used, mixed rating). Then, collect the balls into bucket, take it to Tee Location at other end of the field. Stroke 30 hits back toward the PopToss location. Collect & Repeat.

I usually take 3 or 4 rounds (60 x 3 = 180). I try to make my last swings just as good as my first. And I try to think of my first hits (Stretch-DrySwing-Hit off the PopToss) as if I'm just getting up to bat (first swings of the game). With only getting 3-4 swings a game, they all need to be good.

I think this is a good all-round exercise for BP that allows me to concentrate on multiple skills from one end of the field or the other, combining test & practice in relatively quick succession.

%%%

Last edited:

defos

My tee is probably different than what anyone else is using. I used to use, and still have, the kind with the heavy rubber home plate as a base. They're too heavy and awkward to easily carry, and storing them in the JobBox at the field wears out the base where the nut is, either due to sideways pressure on it or constantly taking it apart. I was cleaning the warehouse at work in preparation for a move and threw away a tripod work light that no longer worked even with new bulbs. As soon as it went in the dumpster, I realized the tripod would make a great batting tee! I pulled it out of the dumpster, removed the lights and the crosspieces, and had the basics for a tee! The rubber tops from most tees slide over the post perfectly, and the shorter tapered tops fit into whatever fits over the post. It's extremely stable, adjustable, and durable, doesn't weigh much, and fits into a normal sized bat bag or bag for a large lawn chair for carrying and storing. The first one worked so well that I converted a light I had at home when it also quit working, and bought a 3rd at a second hand store for $5. Avoid any where the center of the tripod contacts the ground. (Maybe the one of mine that does this is messed up and isn't supposed to do that.) Harbor Freight Tools is now selling bare tripods for $20. Add one of the long tee tops with the bristles, or other top of your choice, and you've got a great tee!