Terrible Rec League Swing!

015reddog

Certified Slacker
I think it's the leg kick. Looks funny. I recorded a couple more today where I actually think I got some hip turn. It'll be a day or two before I get them edited. Be back later.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
i didn't read anything above but watched that last video and i'll say that your leg kick looks uncomfortable and exagerated...it looks like it even slows you down, you're not transfering your weight with any speed or power, step into the ball and attack it...you also don't need to lift your leg so high that you can do crossfit box jumps

LMAO! Yeah, I'll work on it. :D

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
The object of the kick is to load onto your back leg, you just lift the leg in a very exaggerated manner and then stomp down to get it back on the ground in time to swing, stop that, LOL.
The leg should come up as you turn your hips back, the more hip turn the higher the kick.
When you stomp forward you are keeping the forward leg bent so it acts like a shock absorber for the rest of the swing, all your energy is absorbed and lost.
The front leg needs to be planted and firm.
once you stomp, the whole body drops down, this gives you the illusion you are turning your hips but in reality, you are not. I would try to think about bringing your front knee in front of the back knee in a turning motion.
It doesn't need to be high or twist yourself in the ground, the goal is to build pressure on the inside of the back knee with 80% of the weight on the inside of your back foot.
If you feel those 2 things you are loaded and ready to turn forward, if you get a good pitch everything will happen natural from that load, just relax and let it happen.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
The object of the kick is to load onto your back leg, you just lift the leg in a very exaggerated manner and then stomp down to get it back on the ground in time to swing, stop that, LOL.
The leg should come up as you turn your hips back, the more hip turn the higher the kick.
When you stomp forward you are keeping the forward leg bent so it acts like a shock absorber for the rest of the swing, all your energy is absorbed and lost.
The front leg needs to be planted and firm.
once you stomp, the whole body drops down, this gives you the illusion you are turning your hips but in reality, you are not. I would try to think about bringing your front knee in front of the back knee in a turning motion.
It doesn't need to be high or twist yourself in the ground, the goal is to build pressure on the inside of the back knee with 80% of the weight on the inside of your back foot.
If you feel those 2 things you are loaded and ready to turn forward, if you get a good pitch everything will happen natural from that load, just relax and let it happen.

So, when the front foot comes down the knee should be locked straight instead of bent?

TRaj2327

I know things still look awkward and you probably feel very awkward working on things that you have never done before. I will say that your hands still need a little work but there has been a huge improvement there from where you were. You are still long arming it a little bit rather than snapping your wrists to the ball. I see the bat wiggle and loose wrist sensation that you have added...just try not to lock up as you start your approach to the ball. Get your hands to your belly and snap the barrel at the ball.

The area I would work on the most is in your bottom half. I would cut down your stride a bit in terms of how high, how much you coil it back, and just a little on the length of it. Work on starting with your weight already mostly on your back foot...maybe feel for 65/35 split or 70/30 split back/front. Just work on getting a smaller leg lift and getting that weight transferred forward and into the front of your stance as your go to contact the ball. With most your weight already back a leg lift will move it back even more so that you can load up into the ball. When things start feeling a little more natural you will notice that your entire body is working together and transferring energy into the ball and your consistency will get better. If you watch some videos of the guys who are really good they are transferring their weight so much that their back foot either lifts or drags forward.

Last edited:

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the old Steve Butler method may help you out. If you dig you could probably find his video, I vaguely remember it from a few years back. He'd take a 16" ball or a half deflated soccer ball, or basketball (like I said I vaguely remember lol) slap it on the tee, then work on everything.

I think that'd really help in your situation since you have a kind of robotic looking swing, but you should really be putting your ass into it, instead of trying to go through your swing step by step. Trying to drive the big balls will force you to use better rotation in order to drive it anywhere, and it'll help you figure the best approach for you to attack the ball imho sometimes practicing with the regular balls you can get away with more, since the bat and ball technology nowadays are so good. Just my two cents.

Space_cadet

Star Player
Yeah man, you are too "by the book". Just go up, relax, get your hands back and relaxed. Have nice smooth stride and right when your front foot is about to touch, explode your hips. In the swing make over videos you hear him telling you to say "Ba-Boom". Think of the "Ba" as inhaling nice and relaxed while striding forward, then "Boom" is exploding (hence the Boom) all your energy.

I know getting a pitcher is probably hard, but the "Ba-Boom" will be more effective when you have a ball coming at you.

TRaj2327

We all know this guy is a monster and he's swinging for the fence 2 fields over, but look at the fluidity of his swing and how he transfers his weight and gets his hands through the zone. Also how he rotates on an axis and generates power with his hips.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozAu7QgAe_o[/ame]

Last edited:

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I think I see where the leg problem is.
You are using your kick to start hip rotation.
The hips should turn from the back hip forward not the front hip draging your body forward.
The front leg doesn't need to be locked but you should be able to turn around the front leg.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
You don't even really need to do a leg kick... Like Obagain said... The leg kick is to rotate your hip backwards to generate power going forward...
Look at this video... His front waist is pretty much facing behind him, he fires his hips first and then his hands follow... That's how generate maximum power...
Use your hips to pull your front arm that's pulling the bat, as your hands clear your hips punch with the top hand for added whip...'

Last edited by a moderator:

Ddub

Manager
Teaching hand hip fluidity to someone who isn't a "natural" is pretty difficult. After looking through your videos, I like your very first video the best. Your new leg kick?? if that's what you want to call it looks so forced, it makes me cringe. The reason most people have a leg kick is simply as a timing mechanism as it is not necessary whatsoever to generate power and drive from the hips. Point being, you need to get rid of the leg kick (or find one that feels way more natural) and work on connecting your hands and hips. This a great video with some mashers to show you how in sync their hands and hips are.

With that said, your hands should always follow your hips. You should get to a point where you don't even have to think about your hands because your hips (should) automatically drive your hands with them. When your front foot lands, your hands should be back and in the loaded position wherever that is in your swing. My suggestion would to be start at this position and fire your hips and hands at the ball so you know what it feels like and slowly step by step work backwards into your full swing.

Last edited by a moderator:

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Teaching hand hip fluidity to someone who isn't a "natural" is pretty difficult. After looking through your videos, I like your very first video the best. Your new leg kick?? if that's what you want to call it looks so forced, it makes me cringe. The reason most people have a leg kick is simply as a timing mechanism as it is not necessary whatsoever to generate power and drive from the hips. Point being, you need to get rid of the leg kick (or find one that feels way more natural) and work on connecting your hands and hips. This a great video with some mashers to show you how in sync their hands and hips are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpd6LsNvSU

With that said, your hands should always follow your hips. You should get to a point where you don't even have to think about your hands because your hips (should) automatically drive your hands with them. When your front foot lands, your hands should be back and in the loaded position wherever that is in your swing. My suggestion would to be start at this position and fire your hips and hands at the ball so you know what it feels like and slowly step by step work backwards into your full swing.

Thanks again everyone for all the advise and materials posted. I shall return, just maybe not with perfection. Won't stop me from trying though.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
The new leg movement is the right concept but you need to keep your weight on the inside of the back foot, you are allowing your weight to shift to the outside.
The leg kick will become easier and more natural as you get used to it.
It is great seeing someone who is really working to make over their swing and is trying new things.
We all at times need to remember their is more than 1 way to get the bat on the ball.
What works for one will not always work for someone else.
Keep working, it will all come together.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
What does the "keeping the weight on the inside of the back foot" help with? Is it keeping that back leg ready to push off with, or what? Thanks.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
What does the "keeping the weight on the inside of the back foot" help with? Is it keeping that back leg ready to push off with, or what? Thanks.

Yes, the object is to make your body work like a spring.
You need to start with 60% of your weight on your back foot and concentrate on the weight being on the inside of the foot.
If you start in that position you will turn and the body will coil around that foot.
You will feel pressure on the inside of the back knee and that lets you know you are coiling right, if the weight shift to the outside of the knee you are releasing the pressure and all the energy stored with it.
As you continue the turn you will feel pressure in the hips, then chest and finally shoulders.
Now your body is a loaded spring waiting to be released, everything else is timing and hand eye coordination.

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a good slow mo helmer vid on youtube. He gets lot of weight transfer into his swing. But you can see how his front leg is firm and he puts his body weight onto his hands at contact.

Cool_E

Star Player
The swing is looking better, I would say that you want to try and eliminate the little hitch between the coiling or loading, and the step, and on some swings there was a little gap between the step and the hands going. Kinda wanna keep it fluid and keep the momentum working for you. I really like the coiling though, it looks like it's forcing you to step more and makes you use your hips. Your body is moving so much more than it used to. Keep on rocking buddy.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Thanks guys. It is starting to feel like I am doing some good things. I still can't get over the fence. Today I hit the track, it bounced up, hit the top of the fence and bounced over. At this point I only have warning track power. Going to have to hit the weights this fall and winter while not playing ball. Maybe that'll help. Need to strengthen my core too.

weight room isnt gonna help your swing....
I live in jackson as well and we took some BP just yesterday @ vandercook lake high school... Wish I had known about you needing some assistance as my pals & I could have gave you some great tips.... the more swings the better.. get some more bp balls & take more swings

Space_cadet

Star Player
Working out is only 10% of it. Perfect example, we play a team that is sponsored by a crossfit gym. These guys are stacked, lean and athletic as hell....can they swing? hell no. I've never seen so many K's in softball before.

You still are looking like a robot swinging. You need to just relax, fire the hips. Maybe try to use an overlapped grip. All this tee work is great but I have this feeling that you are going to get frustrated when you start taking live BP. Can't stress enough on live BP and having a nice relaxed to exploding swing.

Hambo

Starting Player
I may be way off base here but I think that hitting off of a tee constantly is messing with your timing and swing motion a little. IMO, a big part of learning a slowpitch softball swing is reading the ball and learning to time your motion/swing.

There are other guys here who have stressed live BP and I have to echo that... even if you can only find batting cages.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
We do live bp before games, so I do get some. Not enough though. It's hard to get any of the guys I play with to go bp when I can too. Not a good excuse, but it is what it is.

Cool_E

Star Player
We played against a military team, as the guys figured out how to swing, their strength started to make up for the little they lacked. Being in shape, being flexible, and having more strength is never a bad thing unless your too buff to wipe your butt. Live pitching does make a big difference, should help remove the hitch.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Normally live BP is best but when you are rebuilding your swing the tee is a better choice.
With a tee the ball is stationary so you know where it is going to be so the new movements will be easy to key on.
Once the new movements are more natural then you put in more live BP to learn to adjust from the new movements.
Trying to rebuild a swing is really tough when the pitches are all over.
I am not saying stop taking live bp, you need to continue to see live pitching but the tee will really speed up the learning process.