the Carolinas

Country469

I've always thought if they truly wanna offer 3gg and brackets do this...........

Seeded single elim into double elim brackets based on results.......get caught/perceived to be throwing those games, go home no money.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
Im not sure if there is a way to make it better. People are just weak like water, always looking for the easiest path.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
There has been talk about open un-classed tournaments till June. Then starting rankings based on the first half of the years tournaments. But people will find a way to get around the system.

SandyWH

#Delicious
These tournaments end up profitable because of the REC teams that get in, and that's fine. I'd rather have lots of tournaments to play in than not.

However, there are ways to balance things out. Forcing teams to move up doesn't always work as I've been on several teams that basically disbanded when forced up because a few guys on the team didn't want to step up.

Been playing for a long time and I remember back when i first got going the prize packages were better, but you could definitely use that as a reason to play up.
REC - 1st gets Money Back & T-Shirts / 2nd gets money back / 3rd-zilch
Bronze - 1st - entry fee x2, T's / 2nd - entry fee + $100 T's / 3rd - entry fee
Silver - 1st - prizes, entry x3, T's / 2nd - T's, entry x2, small prize / smalller prize, entry
Gold - gets the lion's share of the prize packages

I did like how ASA in SC ran for a while. The few tournaments I remember playing in were all pool play to start the day, then split up and the upper got all the rewards. Winner of the lower only got their money back & T's.

It really is impossible to convince some people to play up. It's even harder to govern all that stuff.

Stretch19

Grow up
hate to break it to you, but tournaments were profitable before they started offering a Rec division...you think there was Rec offered more than 3-5 years ago? nope sure wasnt and yet there were still quality tourneys being played throughout NC/SC every weekend

Stretch19

Grow up
no legit organization is giving teams cash prizes for playing and winning tournaments every weekend, i dont expect that to happen at any level for any organization...thats gonna be for benefit or backyard tourneys only at this point

if there is a Rec division offered, dont give prizes at all...people say they play Rec for the love of the game and to be with friends, etc...well great, have fun with your friends and play ball all day for nothing

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
cash prizes seems to bring out the worst in people. i agree rec should just be for fun. rec doesn't exist in Texas so i found it weird when i got to NC/SC

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
WiIl, Jamie so as not to mess up that freak 30 thread lets move the conversation over here.

the derby was awesome. Robo was dialed in and just got better as the evening went on. Chudder drove down from Canada (wow) and honestly had the most power at the derby that night. I hate the time of the year and the weather hurt the attendance, it was a lot of fun for sure. We hit a small round of BP before the derby started, then did the derby, then hit a few more rounds of BP. We ended up hitting from 5:30 till 10:30.

PQ19

Hey Cliff, Stretch19, Jorge do you guys play in S C or N C? I just moved to N C from up north and have never heard of Rec till coming here and playing. Im not on FB for a very goo reason. Do ya'all know of any teams looking for a player for next year?

PQ19

north of Greensboro til next summer. renting a house and looking to buy next year.. im looking to play ball somewhere I can fit in...

tneary843

Stretch19, Cliff, That's why the freedom tournaments always get good tournouts along with backyards. Larry does a great job with having the best prize packages and payouts for the freedom tourneys. In my opinion

Country469

What class did you play and North of Greensburah is in a guy I know's neck of the woods. Do you play basketball by chance too?

WillW3

Starting Player
WiIl, Jamie so as not to mess up that freak 30 thread lets move the conversation over here.

the derby was awesome. Robo was dialed in and just got better as the evening went on. Chudder drove down from Canada (wow) and honestly had the most power at the derby that night. I hate the time of the year and the weather hurt the attendance, it was a lot of fun for sure. We hit a small round of BP before the derby started, then did the derby, then hit a few more rounds of BP. We ended up hitting from 5:30 till 10:30.
It seemed like an awesome time, and I was disappointed I couldn't make it. I saw video of Robo swinging, and it looked like he was basically unbeatable. Hopefully something else like that comes up in the future, and I'll be there.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
I would love to do another Derby, Jorge i will talk to you when that time comes.

I had a guy propose an interesting different way to do a derby that should draw in more people.

$500 cash prize
$20 entry fee
It would be set up like a bracketed tournament.
double elimination
2 batters head to head,
any swing that isnt a HR is an out. 3 outs per inning, 7 innings

any thoughts?

Country469

thats pretty cool

I always thought there should be some kind of consolation, under 200 lbs division too. Nothing like being small in a derby

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont know about that... the bats are good enough. It is more about consistency than power. I might have had the longest hit of the night Saturday, but i didnt get out of the 1st round. lol

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
that derby idea would take forever. we did bracket style in Texas limited to 64 hitters. usually took 4 hours or more. 7 pitches, swing at 5

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
etnstudios were yall using 1 field or 4?

i agree it is not a perfect idea yet, but i like that it is something different.

WillW3

Starting Player
I like that idea cliff, but I agree, it would take a long time. That would be fun. Or a timed derby like Chudder and Flip Washington and those guys did in Canada.

PQ19

I'm in Stoneville until this summer. I played in the D's some C tournies and a little bit in the E's.... Too much sandbagging up in the Northeast. I always wanted to play up