the single most used muscle to hit bombs?

Lord7

Banned User
Not too many people seem to grasp this concept..

2 guys with the exact swing..

1st guy can bench 225lbs....2nd guy can clean 225lbs...

Guess who hit the ball harder and farther..and is considerably stronger in every aspect of his life..

Not sure. How much can the first guy clean? How much can the second guy bench? Need some more infor before I can make a decison.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure. How much can the first guy clean? How much can the second guy bench? Need some more infor before I can make a decison.

True but the point he is making is still there. There are so many yahoos out there using exercises that build much lower functional strength than if they worked out like a man. Of course that may be fine for them depending on what they are trying to get done.

Hitter22

Extra Hitter
Oh come on you hit with your legs and hips.......they are without a doubt the most important part of you body. See how far you hit the ball without opening your hips and driving through with your legs. I dont care if you 20" arms the ball isn't going very far......

bbomber4

Addicted to Softballfans
Workout to get stronger. Plyometrics to make yourself more explosive. BP... BP.... BP... to work more bat speed!

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I think gaining muscle mass....just physical muscle weight allows you to hit the ball further. Bands...stretching bands in isometric holding patterns conditions fast twitch motor units to fire to hold your hands in place at different positions.....this give you strength/speed/and better eye hand coordination. You also need to raise your total physical strength of your entire body. Its hard for me to pin point whats the most important.....cause I don't know.....I continue to do a lot of lifting....its my hobby.

Last edited:

Redskin1

The Veteran
TMmcoy is dead on. Work on your strength and flexiblity, just good for yourself no matter what your doing, just change it up periodically, but technique is the key. I remember being 165-170 and hitting very well, getting every ounce of body into my swings. 15 years later, I'm 190 with prob the same bodyfat and still hit for great average but hitting absolute bombs. There is so much on youtube showing the best hitting, study them and try and copy them, technique wise (you'll see most A major guys have similar technique with the hips arms and hands as they get to the ball.

Hannibal

Addicted to Softballfans
It all starts with your legs. Getting a good powerful twist in your hips is the most important aspect of hitting the ball hard. You need a strong core to take the power from your legs to your upper body. A case can be made for strengthening you lead triceps. And strong forearms really bring it all together. Strong forearms will also help you drive the ball better if you ever find your timing to be off.

I asked: if you could only do one form of weight training for softball what would it be....answer = Dead-lifts, if done correctly it works the major swing muscles i.e.. legs, back, forearms, triceps

These are both great answers. Obviously you have to have the mechanics in place, and all the strength in the world will not make up for a mi**** ball. If we assume good mechanics, the strength of the swing comes from the ground up.

Your legs establish your base. The strength of your core transfers that power to the upper body, and the arms forearm are the end of the chain that whip the bat through the zone. Besides what was mentioned...sledgehammer work, battle ropes, and tornado balls all work the core and the forearms in a way that directly carries over to the Softball Swing.