The War by the Shore is on tonight at 8 PM eastern time

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It took the blowout out of the equation too. Good strategy on his part, and I wish softball was more like that at all levels. Maybe our defense was just terrible but it seems like we had more back and forth games back in the day. Home team meant a lot more back then.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I guess I can sympathize with both arguments.... as in, "this ball sucks, it doesn't fly anywhere" vs. "its the right ball for the event". I've played a long time and used all manners of crappy balls over the years. Back when the USSSA state director provided balls for tournaments you never knew what you'd get. After the 1 brand new ball was homered or fouled off you could get some seriously RANK used balls. In the middle of the summer that would translate into some pillow fight types of games where no one is even coming close to hitting it out and both teams having single digit runs.

I guess my point is, guys should know how to improvise and adjust to hitting poor quality balls. If you know you can't smash it out through a headwind, don't keep trying to.

I guess it was pretty shrewd of Monsta to insist on Hot Dots being used. Especially if they knew their team was outmatched from a power standpoint. If the aim of this event was fan viewership, they probably used the wrong ball. I don't think people want to sit and watch a 5-3 game on the internet. I think it would be interesting to get the opinions of some of the guys who played in the event. How they liked the format, venue, ball used, etc.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Hitting .52s out of a field that size is no small accomplishment. You really do have to hit them perfectly. I think it was cool to see these guys try (and somewhat fail) to hit the .52s on a baseball field in FL rather than hitting stadiums and hitting 15 HR per team per game. A little humility in softball can go a long way.

If they ever have a series like this again I'd keep it the same format. Same venue, same ball. Let these guys make adjustments and see who the hardest/longest hitters in the game really are. Bring some technique back to the game and make guys work for power.
Did they play on the 385 ft field?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I think the games were actually more interesting than most USSSA Conference games. Lot's of small-ball, 2 out hits, and defence.

Is the Hot Dot really that bad? We only get to hit Hot Dots here, I've never hit any other .52's.

Country469

Stadium ball = hitting derby, while impressive no doubt, its why guys are usually around 6'4 260 and roided out at the major level

Hot dot = softball game, defense ad base running at a premium again and smart ball had to be in play rather than over power someone.

Its an opinion clearly, like football, baseball, etc....sometime low scoring is exciting sometimes high scoring is.

Bottom line, the best softball players in the world hit the same ball that day as the guys on the other side. All fairness. And that's what matters. Make adjustments on the fly, that's what champions do......

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
I’m sure strategy had something to do with the decision to hit the hot dot. But, I think it was so his players could use his bats. If they were hitting Stadium balls they would have broke a ton of bats and probably not even been able to use them as they are only ASA approved bats. It wouldn’t make sense to compete in an event where your product couldn’t be used.

Sloth91

I’m sure strategy had something to do with the decision to hit the hot dot. But, I think it was so his players could use his bats. If they were hitting Stadium balls they would have broke a ton of bats and probably not even been able to use them as they are only ASA approved bats. It wouldn’t make sense to compete in an event where your product couldn’t be used.

we're talking about hot dots vs. other .52/300 balls. ASA balls, USSSA rules and any USSSA/ASA sanctioned bats were always planned to be used

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I think the games were actually more interesting than most USSSA Conference games. Lot's of small-ball, 2 out hits, and defence.

Is the Hot Dot really that bad? We only get to hit Hot Dots here, I've never hit any other .52's.

I won't call Hot Dots terrible, but there are definitely better .52 300 options out there.

Country469

I will. There is a reason they are priced far below top tier balls. I have hit em in league for like 9 years now, and never once was I ever like, jeeeez these things aren't made for safety.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's all opinion, but I preferred this game. Those swings with stadiums and you know they're long gone, bloops are caught because they go too deep, and middle shots aren't fielded unless they wear them most times. I watched a wsl stream a few weeks back and most of the guys were chopping the ball into the ground because any half decent seeing would've gone out. Higher scoring or not that's hardly exciting to watch.

Normy

It made me feel better as a beer leaguer. I felt a lot like Kyle Pearson last fall. Builds character.

dunkky

I wasn't lying when i said not every avg joe can clear 300 in TX during summer time against 52s. if major league level dudes having hard time pulling and clearing 325 to 340ish, how do you expect avg joe to clear 300ft. I have witnessed only a few with good power and mechanics launched bombs consistently.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I wasn't lying when i said not every avg joe can clear 300 in TX during summer time against 52s. if major league level dudes having hard time pulling and clearing 325 to 340ish, how do you expect avg joe to clear 300ft. I have witnessed only a few with good power and mechanics launched bombs consistently.

52’s level the playing field, compared to other balls that turn into mush when its super hot out.

I agree with you tho, not everyone can do it consistently...

Sloth91

It's all opinion, but I preferred this game. Those swings with stadiums and you know they're long gone, bloops are caught because they go too deep, and middle shots aren't fielded unless they wear them most times. I watched a wsl stream a few weeks back and most of the guys were chopping the ball into the ground because any half decent seeing would've gone out. Higher scoring or not that's hardly exciting to watch.

i liked the defense. from both sides there were very few errors, and the few ended up being crucial. i liked seeing guys like harvey adjust and hit the gaps instead of just going up there looking to mash every at bat. i'm not sure if i'm the only one that noticed this, but i think harvey was the only guy that started out swinging a utrip stick and switched to an asa bat. pretty sure he used his orange legit in his first at bat of the first game, every at bat after that he was using the white one. i was surprised that so many guys stuck with the usssa bats. i get feeling comfortable with certain bats, but with the number of bats that miken/worth put out this year and last, there's almost an identical counterpart to each bat. on another note, filip washington can play ball. i really enjoyed watching him play both sides of the ball

4xtra

Player/Coach
i just copied that from the softballnews article that came out with the details. it was poorly written and riddled with grammar and spelling errors so i wouldn't be shocked if that was wrong as well, lol
I was just curious because hitting a 52 that far is MUCH harder than hitting a stadium ball.

Sloth91

absolutely. especially with the wind blowing the way it does in that stadium. i think it comes in from left field towards first base/home plate? i was surprised at the distance flip got on a couple of his

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
325-365-385-365-325

That’s what Helmer said when he was announcing. But whatever, still was a big field for 52’s. The 75ft bases made it way more interesting on infielding defense. There were a lot more outs then there would have been with 65ft bases.

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
I was just curious because hitting a 52 that far is MUCH harder than hitting a stadium ball.

Definitely..... not hating, but your average joe becomes a hero hitting stadiums with the Utrip bats these days. For me, hitting 52’s with ASA bats to Classic M’s with Utrip bats I notice about a 30-40ft distance difference. I’ve never hit a stadium ball, but I can only imagine.

dunkky

I mite double check that dimension if I get bored, but I believe what Helmer said was correct and I heard that too.

Sloth91

dead center was definitely 385

around 43' houseman's shot to dead center that went off the wall they say he hit it 385 EXACTLY

edit: let me know if for whatever reason this vid isn't allowed

Last edited by a moderator: