The War by the Shore is on tonight at 8 PM eastern time

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Wind had to have been a huge factor. .52s don't cut through wind very well. Stadium balls do. Again, they also didn't use an optimal .52 ball.

jhitman

I was just curious because hitting a 52 that far is MUCH harder than hitting a stadium ball.

I have both in my BP bucket and it's not close. I would say 30-40' more for the stadium balls. I've been saying this for a while that the 52's really level the playing field. Our senior leagues here there is less than 5% of players hitting HR's with the 52's. It makes for a more defensive game but I think most would prefer going back to the 44 cor 375's that we used in the past. The 2 most important factors IMO are bat speed and getting that good back spin on the ball. I don't think you can just muscle the ball out with the 52's like we did in the old days with the 44's and 47's. For me it was nice to see the big boys struggle a little bit hitting the 52's. It just justifies what I have thought hitting these balls the last 7 years.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anybody really think someone like Harvey changing his game to hit line drives is a good thing?
Absolutely. Maybe not to the extreme we saw in this game, but homeruns have become way too easy to hit. I can't tell you the last time I've seen one if these guys miss and not still got the ball out. There needs to be at least some rush for the guys that come up and seeing for the fences every ab.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Does anybody really think someone like Harvey changing his game to hit line drives is a good thing?

You don’t think it was smart of him to go with pitches to hit the RC center gaps instead of hitting a shot that possibly would be slowed by the wind for a long pop ups?

I think it was a good thing he made his adjustments to get on base.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
We're not talking about an average player. Harvey is a power standout, even at the top level. Hurray for a dude the size of a stake body truck hitting backside doubles.

Country469

The stadium doesn't yield high scores with a stadium ball, why you guys think it would yield them wit a 52 IDK

Jusrah99

We're not talking about an average player. Harvey is a power standout, even at the top level. Hurray for a dude the size of a stake body truck hitting backside doubles.

Smart hitting is the same at every level...an out in league is the same as an out in the majors...

dunkky

harvey did not make any adjustment. dude has hit laser before and same for this tournament. that double was line drive off the fence right about dead center, maybe little off to the right. it would've been easily a bomb if it had a little bit of more arc. to me that shot was more impressive than Washington's bombs personally. FW's bombs were very impressive too. no doubt.

Jusrah99

harvey did not make any adjustment. dude has hit laser before and same for this tournament. that double was line drive off the fence right about dead center, maybe little off to the right. it would've been easily a bomb if it had a little bit of more arc. to me that shot was more impressive than Washington's bombs personally. FW's bombs were very impressive too. no doubt.

You can’t keep bringing up “if” moments. He made the adjustments to keep his line drives down the way he was cutting the ball because he saw that his usual bombs were getting hung up in the wind.

Flip hit better overall, he might’ve made 1 out all series if that...

One thing i like is that as much as these guys can kill the ball...they have great plate discipline and don’t mind walking when they don’t get good pitches...

Normy

It became a pitchers dual and a battle of defenses which you rarely see these days. I thought it was pretty cool. Defenses on both sides were amazing.

dunkky

he's been known as cutter though. it's on one of boggie's video too. i am not sure based on what fact or reason you guys think he made adjustment to his swing. He had multiple HRs including game winning HR. Laser double off the fence. i mean if he had just bunch of singles and doubles, i can see that, but he didn't. it's other guys who had hard time and struggled, not Harvey. he did what he normally has been doing all years.

Jusrah99

he's been known as cutter though. it's on one of boggie's video too. i am not sure based on what fact or reason you guys think he made adjustment to his swing. He had multiple HRs including game winning HR. Laser double off the fence. i mean if he had just bunch of singles and doubles, i can see that, but he didn't. it's other guys who had hard time and struggled, not Harvey. he did what he normally has been doing all years.

He didn’t make a swing adjustment, he made an adjustment to his approach...he flyed out a couple of times trying to go deep to left and left center...so he made the adjustment and started cutting it toward RC...

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
I’ve had conversations years ago about Major Players stats. Do you guys think that their stats are inflated do to hitting stadiums and having a ton of HR’s to hit in a game?

camjo23

Addicted to Softballfans
Absolutely. Maybe not to the extreme we saw in this game, but homeruns have become way too easy to hit. I can't tell you the last time I've seen one if these guys miss and not still got the ball out. There needs to be at least some rush for the guys that come up and seeing for the fences every ab.[/QUO
There was an average of 5.5 homeruns hit in that stadium during Major last year....hardly a HR derby....with stadium ball...

tattooball

What a lot of people don't understand the lower conference teams have scores like that in stadiums with the stadium ball. The .52 defiantly leveled the playing field. If the big guys actually hit the .52 ball in bp more often they would have performed much better.

Cubsuns

Addicted to Softballfans
I’ve had conversations years ago about Major Players stats. Do you guys think that their stats are inflated do to hitting stadiums and having a ton of HR’s to hit in a game?

How exactly is it inflating their stats? They use the approved balls, with the approved bats on the same fields as everyone else with the same rules. Its not like the hot dots are the standard and they get special equipment and rules.

Country469

Well they go by OBP instead of Avg #1, as does any informed softball statistician

They do not play on the same fields as everyone else. No one else uses stadium balls, just the conference. A few tourneys have unlimited bombs and are on baseball fields, but for the most part Major teams get 16 a game or something. their stats should be high, everyone's should though, its a hitters game.