The War by the Shore is on tonight at 8 PM eastern time

Country469

Also no floating rubber in conference. Strike zone is gonna be about 1/4 of the size you're used to. Are the stats inflated some, yes. are they the best hitters on earth, yes.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't care about them u using stadiums in the stadiums so much as I just wish they'd do away with the classic m completely. These guys hitting the classic m on 300' fences is like me hitting stadiums on a little league field.

Sloth91

I don't care about them u using stadiums in the stadiums so much as I just wish they'd do away with the classic m completely. These guys hitting the classic m on 300' fences is like me hitting stadiums on a little league field.

agreed. i think helmer spoke about that and was in the same boat. no reason to use the hardest ball possible. there are a few balls between mush and stadiums, believe it or not

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
agreed. i think helmer spoke about that and was in the same boat. no reason to use the hardest ball possible. there are a few balls between mush and stadiums, believe it or not
I've played with cork. I don't even consider the classic plus/asa ball mush.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I agree. Classic Ms are too weather sensitive. In the cold you get an ice ball that destroys bats and goes 400' with relative ease. In very hot weather you get a dead pillow with no bounce at all.

I won't necessarily call the .52 300 the perfect ball, but its a lot closer to what should be used on 300' fields than a classic M is.

The main problem with classic Ms is that the ball is a dead, useless turd. It basically becomes a battle of who has the hottest bat. Unlike the .52 300, a classic M has zero bounce and will not propel itself. I would think that classic Ms ushered in the era of bat shaving.

Oh, and having hit ZN classic Ms at USSSA worlds in Orlando on multiple occasions, I'd be completely open to using a .52 ball at worlds. During the day in FL a ZN turns into a pillow. You can squeeze the ball easily in your hand and it flies nowhere off the bat.

Last edited:

jhitman

huzzdog

retired
Question, if that's the case that it was his first bad weekend in 5 years, were the other tournaments played with the 52 cor 300 comp softballs?
vegas and houston

vegas stats with that ball

3/31/2017 Sin City CUSSSA Men's Major 9 45-49 39 1 1 14 38 4 0.918

he went 45 for 49 with only 14homers and hit .918.. i'd say that's decent against major competition

jhitman

vegas and houston

he went 45 for 49 with only 14homers and hit .918.. i'd say that's decent against major competition

Wow, that's really impressive. Even the top guys have one off tournament. He's got ridiculous power like Harvey.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
vegas and houston

What size were the fences that weekend ?

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Sin City BLD is mostly like every other BLD. 300ft all around. From what I remember, there’s one field where LC is 325ish. Not sure about Houston though.
Hitting a 52 out on a 300 field is quite different (easier) than hitting one out at space coast

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
Hitting a 52 out on a 300 field is quite different (easier) than hitting one out at space coast

Yeah and just image those guys hitting Classic M’s or stadiums at BLD’s with 16 HR’s to hit or whatever it is. Lol......That’s why I mentioned in an earlier post that these guy’s stats are inflated more than they really should be.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
what do you mean leveled the playing field? none are league ballers and both sides won their championships in the associations they play.

The games were more about defense, timely hitting, and smart baserunning. With the harder balls it's more about which team has the bigger, harder swinging dudes.

Eg. Kyle Pearson had a rough series with a bunch of pop-ups. With Stadium balls, he would've mis-hit several homeruns.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah and just image those guys hitting Classic M’s or stadiums at BLD’s with 16 HR’s to hit or whatever it is. Lol......That’s why I mentioned in an earlier post that these guy’s stats are inflated more than they really should be.
Dude only hit 14 homeruns out of 45 hits with those balls on a 300' fence though. The shorter fences means less ground for the ofers to cover and less room to get it down without being a homeruns as well. Almost more impressive to me.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The games were more about defense, timely hitting, and smart baserunning. With the harder balls it's more about which team has the bigger, harder swinging dudes.

Eg. Kyle Pearson had a rough series with a bunch of pop-ups. With Stadium balls, he would've mis-hit several homeruns.
This is it exactly. They were mis hits, but you don't really know that with current equipment. Even with classic Ms all of his mis hits that I saw still go out. There are way too many mis hit homeruns in today's game imo.

oppotaco13

This is it exactly. They were mis hits, but you don't really know that with current equipment. Even with classic Ms all of his mis hits that I saw still go out. There are way too many mis hit homeruns in today's game imo.

Yeah, I tried to say all that, but in a short sentence.

And I love watching the games with classic m balls and non stop home runs, this was a nice change.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The shorter fences means less ground for the ofers to cover and less room to get it down without being a homeruns as well. Almost more impressive to me.

The thing I always notice about the games in the stadiums is the size of the OF gaps. I couldn't sniff the fence on those fields, but it looks so easy to hit between the outfielders. The fact that guys that hit a lot harder than me can't always do it makes me appreciate how fast some of those outfielders are.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing I always notice about the games in the stadiums is the size of the OF gaps. I couldn't sniff the fence on those fields, but it looks so easy to hit between the outfielders. The fact that guys that hit a lot harder than me can't always do it makes me appreciate how fast some of those outfielders are.
I don't know if I'm more impressed by the big guys that can move our the thin guys that can just fly. They are crazy fast in person too.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I tried to say all that, but in a short sentence.

And I love watching the games with classic m balls and non stop home runs, this was a nice change.
I don't mind watching those games occasionally, but I don't enjoy playing in them. I enjoy playing defense and I miss it.

huzzdog

retired
I've played in the smokey mtn. classic a few times and in the stadium at disney. i've also played in rock hill in a major when it was 115 degrees and homeruns were a rarity. I must say playing unlimited with good balls on big fields is far more fun. I played infield and pitched in both spots... defense is still hugely important.. you just have to make all the plays you have the opportunity on. as far as watching.. i felt the war by the shore was not a great exhibition

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I liked the series. The 52s leveled the playing field. Hope something like this comes back next year.

I agree, but I think they should use a better .52 ball. Hot Dots aren't very good performers. I've never hit one in the heat/humidity of FL, but I can't imagine they'd perform well at all.

On a side note, I just played in Albuquerque, NM on their brand new turf field complex. Full sized baseball fields. 330' to the lines and 390' to CF. Ball was flying out pretty well and I saw quite a few long HRs being hit.

It was bring your own ball, classic Ms. Most teams hit X Rocks while others used ZNs. Oh, and it was bat provided by Worth/Miken. Let's put it this way... 400' shots weren't a rarity. I hit a few of them myself. The ball absolutely SOARS at that altitude. The bats started getting very loose (broken in) and cracking late on Sunday too. The Freak 23 was the hottest one I swung. In 70 degrees with classic Ms I was mis hitting balls 360' with it.

With the temps and wind conditions they could have used classic + balls and there still would have been HRs.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've played in the smokey mtn. classic a few times and in the stadium at disney. i've also played in rock hill in a major when it was 115 degrees and homeruns were a rarity. I must say playing unlimited with good balls on big fields is far more fun. I played infield and pitched in both spots... defense is still hugely important.. you just have to make all the plays you have the opportunity on. as far as watching.. i felt the war by the shore was not a great exhibition
The harder it is to play defense the more important it becomes. I didn't say I was good at it. I said I enjoyed playing it.

Some things are similar between your level and mine but this isn't one of them. I'm pretty confident in saying that the difference between your glove and my glove is greater than the difference between our possible bbs. I'm not saying I can hit like you because I don't and bbs isn't everything, but the speeds I'm expected to field with today's equipment is just wrong to me.

Normy

Don't know too many pitchers who prefer the hard stuff. Glad our rec league chose to stick with the mush dots this year.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know too many pitchers who prefer the hard stuff. Glad our rec league chose to stick with the mush dots this year.
I wouldn't mind a compromise. I don't hate the 44/375, but the classic m is horrible. I don't like how it behaves or comes off the bat or anything. And it's a truck in the cold and poop in the heat. It's just stupid.