Theo to the Cubs!

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that perhaps Boston didn't want Theo back? They're not putting up a fight and they sure seem excited over the compensation...

They didn't want to offer him what it would have taken to keep him. BFD. DO you tihnk Francona is any less of a manager because the Red Sox didn't want him back either?

I dont see how this jives with the Cubs new ownership. Thought they stated they wanted to build the Cubs back through the draft and their minor league system.

They have produced plenty of their own minor league players under Theo. The Red Sox minor league system was still ranked 11th in baseball after they traded four blue chip prospects to the Padres for Gonzalez. So I am not really sure WTF you are talking about.

Stout33

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow, 11th in baseball...what a stellar organization. Regardless Theo turned into Brian Cashman Jr in Boston. If their minor league system was so stellar they wouldnt have had to bring in Gonzolez, Crawford, Beckett, Lackey, Jenks etc etc etc. Hendry tried fixing the Cubs the Theo way, the Ricketts stated they wanted to build through their system so I really dont know WTF you are talking about.

isthisshaved19

Addicted to Softballfans
They didn't want to offer him what it would have taken to keep him. BFD. DO you tihnk Francona is any less of a manager because the Red Sox didn't want him back either?

They have produced plenty of their own minor league players under Theo. The Red Sox minor league system was still ranked 11th in baseball after they traded four blue chip prospects to the Padres for Gonzalez. So I am not really sure WTF you are talking about.

Or the realization that Lucchino was the brains in the organization? Theo is going into a situation where the Cubs are at rock bottom, there is no way to go, but up. That #11 ranking must have to do with their lower level guys since there was no spark coming up in September to help them get to the playoffs. The system is not the same one with Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youkilis, and Bucholtz waiting in the wings. Please lmk these 4 blue chippers you speak of? They'll play in the majors, but it is San Diego:eek::rolleyes: Rizzo came up, but there was a logjam at first in their system. Casey Kelly? Lol

Beer_Leaguer

Not Drunk.
Kelly was the #1 prospect in the Sox system at the time I believe, Rizzo has a little work to do as he looked lost when they brought him up last year, but the other 2 guys certainly weren't "blue chippers."

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
Or the realization that Lucchino was the brains in the organization? Theo is going into a situation where the Cubs are at rock bottom, there is no way to go, but up. That #11 ranking must have to do with their lower level guys since there was no spark coming up in September to help them get to the playoffs. The system is not the same one with Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youkilis, and Bucholtz waiting in the wings. Please lmk these 4 blue chippers you speak of? They'll play in the majors, but it is San Diego:eek::rolleyes: Rizzo came up, but there was a logjam at first in their system. Casey Kelly? Lol

I agree with this.. I don't think he'll spend a lot of money. I think he's going to build up the farm system and eventually add a few pieces. It will take a about 3-4 years to do but it's doable. He's a good GM, I'm actually interested to see what he can do with this team.

snacks

I agree with this.. I don't think he'll spend a lot of money. I think he's going to build up the farm system and eventually add a few pieces. It will take a about 3-4 years to do but it's doable. He's a good GM, I'm actually interested to see what he can do with this team.

I have my reservations, I really hope he does well but it is a COMPLETELY different situation than is was in Boston. The Ricketts are not going to spend a lot and player development is the primary concern. I agree that we won't see much from this until 2-4 years from now.

His first steps should be:
-Release Quade
-Hire another manager ( While idk if Sandberg is ready JUST yet, I think whom ever he chooses should add Sandberg to the staff.)
-Trade Big Z to Florida (adds to the farm system)
-Go after Fielder or Pujols (if not resign Pena for another year, work in LaHair)
-Somehow get rid of Soriano and as much of his contract as possible
-Bring up Brett Jackson to replace Soriano, move Byrd to LF or RF, Jackson in CF.
-Trade A-Ram (get prospects for farm sys)
-bring up Vitters
-Get Colvin some good playing time, trade him mid season if he starts off bad.
-Try to get CJ Wilson, if not work Samardzija in the rotation.

isthisshaved19

Addicted to Softballfans
Kelly was the #1 prospect in the Sox system at the time I believe, Rizzo has a little work to do as he looked lost when they brought him up last year, but the other 2 guys certainly weren't "blue chippers."

Kelly may have been ranked #1, but it was Iglesias who was as untouchable as the pitches he was thrown in Triple A this past season;). I have no doubts Kelly will make a major league staff at some point because he's a pitcher and it is San Diego. A bump to the Pads must feel like a Pawtucket promotion:eek:

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
The farm system under Theo has developed plenty of current MLB players. #11 out of 30 teams, after trading away a couple of your top guys is pretty good. They were probably in the top 10 before the trade. The other part is you must remember that when the Red Sox sign a type A free agent, like they do often, they lose their first round pick. So they have continued to build their farm system without first round draft picks. Yes, a lot of their current top minor leaguers are in lower level ball, not triple A, but they are still good prospects regardless.

Snacks is dead on, the Cubs won't suddenly be playing the post season next year. It is going to take a few years before they can right the ship because there are too many holes right now. They do lose a lot of contracts this off season and next year they will be off the hook for Big Z as well. The only bad contract they will be stuck with is Soriano after next year. I don't see the Cubs signing Fielder or Pujols and honeslty I am OK with that. They have a direction and it is palyer development and I think that's the best option. I would rather build a team like the Rays have instead of trying to be like Boston or New York.

snacks

The farm system under Theo has developed plenty of current MLB players. #11 out of 30 teams, after trading away a couple of your top guys is pretty good. They were probably in the top 10 before the trade. The other part is you must remember that when the Red Sox sign a type A free agent, like they do often, they lose their first round pick. So they have continued to build their farm system without first round draft picks. Yes, a lot of their current top minor leaguers are in lower level ball, not triple A, but they are still good prospects regardless.

Snacks is dead on, the Cubs won't suddenly be playing the post season next year. It is going to take a few years before they can right the ship because there are too many holes right now. They do lose a lot of contracts this off season and next year they will be off the hook for Big Z as well. The only bad contract they will be stuck with is Soriano after next year. I don't see the Cubs signing Fielder or Pujols and honeslty I am OK with that. They have a direction and it is palyer development and I think that's the best option. I would rather build a team like the Rays have instead of trying to be like Boston or New York.

me too, I would actually resign Pena and working LaHair or Colvin

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
I have my reservations, I really hope he does well but it is a COMPLETELY different situation than is was in Boston. The Ricketts are not going to spend a lot and player development is the primary concern. I agree that we won't see much from this until 2-4 years from now.

-Release Quade
-Hire another manager ( While idk if Sandberg is ready JUST yet, I think whom ever he chooses should add Sandberg to the staff.)
-Go after Fielder or Pujols (if not resign Pena for another year, work in LaHair)
-Somehow get rid of Soriano and as much of his contract as possible
-Bring up Brett Jackson to replace Soriano, move Byrd to LF or RF, Jackson in CF.
-Trade A-Ram (get prospects for farm sys)
-bring up Vitters
-Get Colvin some good playing time, trade him mid season if he starts off bad.

I would say nay to the Pujols thing because he's going to sign with St. Louis. Everyone knows this by now. He won't cut ties with this city after being here 11 years. He's not Lebron James.

Cubs would be better off signing Fielder. He would be a better fit. Better ballpark for his power.

As far as a manager goes.. Francona is out there?

LSU/22

Finally ...
-Release Quade - Wish they would but will probably let him finish out contract next year then go get a name - maybe even Francona in 2013.
-Hire another manager ( While idk if Sandberg is ready JUST yet, I think whom ever he chooses should add Sandberg to the staff.) Sandberg won't come back to Cubs after the way he was treated and pretty much exiled to Phillies AAA team.
-Go after Fielder or Pujols (if not resign Pena for another year, work in LaHair) Fielder, definitely let Pena walk can't watch this guy hit .220 and 25 HR's again.
-Somehow get rid of Soriano and as much of his contract as possible - Nobody wants him unless its a desperate AL team needing a DH.
-Trade A-Ram (get prospects for farm sys)- A-Ram is in an option year - no trade. If he opts to stay no one is touching his salary - He'll be a free agent.
-bring up Vitters
-Get Colvin some good playing time, trade him mid season if he starts off bad. Colvin had a chance for playing time and failed tremendously.
They can try to get CJ Wilson I would prefer they build up Cashner much like STL did with Garcia.

Roll with - Garza, Dumpster, Cashner, Wells, and maybe go after Edwin Jackson or somebody of that caliber.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
-Release Quade - Wish they would but will probably let him finish out contract next year then go get a name - maybe even Francona in 2013.
-Hire another manager ( While idk if Sandberg is ready JUST yet, I think whom ever he chooses should add Sandberg to the staff.) Sandberg won't come back to Cubs after the way he was treated and pretty much exiled to Phillies AAA team.
-Go after Fielder or Pujols (if not resign Pena for another year, work in LaHair) Fielder, definitely let Pena walk can't watch this guy hit .220 and 25 HR's again.
-Somehow get rid of Soriano and as much of his contract as possible - Nobody wants him unless its a desperate AL team needing a DH.
-Trade A-Ram (get prospects for farm sys)- A-Ram is in an option year - no trade. If he opts to stay no one is touching his salary - He'll be a free agent.
-bring up Vitters
-Get Colvin some good playing time, trade him mid season if he starts off bad. Colvin had a chance for playing time and failed tremendously.
They can try to get CJ Wilson I would prefer they build up Cashner much like STL did with Garcia.

Roll with - Garza, Dumpster, Cashner, Wells, and maybe go after Edwin Jackson or somebody of that caliber.

There is a good chance Quade stays as manager to begin the year. Then when they suck again, as they will, they will fire his ass half way through the season. If they fire him now there is no one left to be the scapegoat to blame everything on.

Sandberg would most definitely come back. He has said as much. He just isn't going to come back to the Cubs to be a minor league manager again.

Colvin failed this year, but the year before he proved he belonged. The jury is still out on him and it is way too early to give up on him.

Cashner has been hitting 100 mph in the AFL so I'm pretty sure he is 100% healthy. He is the best pitching prospect the Cubs have and will be a SP next year along with Garza, Dumpster, Wells and whoever they plug in as the 5th starter.

isthisshaved19

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm sure Theo struggled with the 24 first round picks he had during his tenure in Boston and the fact that they have over $100 million locked into 8 players in two years when Pedroia, Youkilis, and Lester are eligible for FA without taking into account what they'll give Papelbon this off season certainly helped him see the writing on the wall. Or could it be the next season when Ellsbury and Bard hit? And so it seems the 'build for the future' approach combined with the concept of free agency has led us to paint ourselves into a corner.