this is too small for big boys..

dunkky

Never realized up to now they are playing such a small fields. boy, these teams are conference teams including major and AA. no wonder these guys hit so may homeruns.

upload_2018-4-17_18-47-6.png

dunkky

yeap, that's exactly what i thought. just can't believe they are playing fields that small.. harvey don't even have to try hard.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've played at that complex. Hitting a ball out isn't quite as easy as it seems. They use classic + balls and its very hot and humid. I won't say its super hard to mash a ball out, but you generally have to try to do it. I doubt there were a whole lot of accidental HRs in Houston over the weekend. The wind always seems to blow too.

Now, I've played at BLD in Vegas for USSSA winter worlds. They used classic M balls. It was very easy to go yard then. Classic Ms on BLD fields are terrible.

ShortYellowBus

I've played at that complex. Hitting a ball out isn't quite as easy as it seems. They use classic + balls and its very hot and humid. I won't say its super hard to mash a ball out, but you generally have to try to do it. I doubt there were a whole lot of accidental HRs in Houston over the weekend. The wind always seems to blow too.

Now, I've played at BLD in Vegas for USSSA winter worlds. They used classic M balls. It was very easy to go yard then. Classic Ms on BLD fields are terrible.
That’s all the validation I need.

phoenix26

<font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>

Now imagine BLD Vegas with senior bats and x-rocks:eek:

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to play there all the time. the fields are pretty short but several of them have pretty tall fences. for a while, at conference events they played "wall ball" where it had to clear everything to be a homerun. if it hit the fake stands that they have there it was deemed still in play. also, there were always plenty of accidental hrs all the way down in e ball with the classic +. look up the fields at BLD Mansfield in North Texas. the replica polo grounds field seemed like it went foooorrrrrrreeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr

Country469

Conference players have no trouble leaving the yard on 300 foot fences unless its 95 and humid. Yes those parks are short. They were made to rake in money from little leaguers and fast pitch teams. Slow pitch was just an added bonus. They don't have as much effect on those games as one would think. Those pitchers gotta serve it up all day with those zones. Big deal for a D tourney, yes. Conference, no.

And they use ZNs at these fields at times for conference events as well.

dunkky

So what defines conference team? Never had a clear understanding of a term, conference team or player.

Country469

Conference team is an yteam (mostly A-AA-MAJ) who pay the 4 grand conference fee, and play at least 6 events. They have like 18-20 national events a summer with the top 16 in points playing for the MWS in florida in Sept.

Conference USSSA is the upper ball series with big money, and the guys who names are on your bat.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Now imagine BLD Vegas with senior bats and x-rocks:eek:

Yeah, that just has to be dumb. BLD works if you use a somewhat dead ball. Luckily the conference USSSA tourny they hold here in CO is on beautiful 320' fields. In July it takes a legit swing to get a ZN out of there.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I used to play there all the time. the fields are pretty short but several of them have pretty tall fences. for a while, at conference events they played "wall ball" where it had to clear everything to be a homerun. if it hit the fake stands that they have there it was deemed still in play. also, there were always plenty of accidental hrs all the way down in e ball with the classic +. look up the fields at BLD Mansfield in North Texas. the replica polo grounds field seemed like it went foooorrrrrrreeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well, the real Polo Grounds was like 480' in CF. I think any CUSSSA event held at BLD should use Hycors and use the wall ball rule. Make guys hit it over everything.

When I played in Houston I think about 70% of the HRs I saw were over all the wood (grandstands/facades) anyway.

milesej05

The Rookie

Those are the balls we use in league around here...and our fences are 300'

In the E games, you see at least 1 HR a game. D games you see at least 3. and our "Open" league has a limit of 5/team...which usually gets maxed out.

dunkky

Conference team is an yteam (mostly A-AA-MAJ) who pay the 4 grand conference fee, and play at least 6 events. They have like 18-20 national events a summer with the top 16 in points playing for the MWS in florida in Sept.

Conference USSSA is the upper ball series with big money, and the guys who names are on your bat.

Thanks for the explanation Country. Crystal clear now.

oppotaco13

Well, the real Polo Grounds was like 480' in CF. I think any CUSSSA event held at BLD should use Hycors and use the wall ball rule. Make guys hit it over everything.

When I played in Houston I think about 70% of the HRs I saw were over all the wood (grandstands/facades) anyway.

480 to center and like 240 down the lines. Crazy dimensions.

dunkky

man nobody wants to play center in that field. too much ground to cover. anything over the head would be inside park homerun.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Those are the balls we use in league around here...and our fences are 300'

In the E games, you see at least 1 HR a game. D games you see at least 3. and our "Open" league has a limit of 5/team...which usually gets maxed out.

That doesn't seem unreasonable. The open league near me uses .52 300 on 300' fields. Its 3 HR and 1 up. Seldom do you see both teams hit 3 and start going 1 up.

The balls will fly out, but you generally have to earn a HR. I have zero problem with that.

Normy

That doesn't seem unreasonable. The open league near me uses .52 300 on 300' fields. Its 3 HR and 1 up. Seldom do you see both teams hit 3 and start going 1 up.

The balls will fly out, but you generally have to earn a HR. I have zero problem with that.
That's how our league is set up as well with one short field in the mix at 285' all around.

AntonChigurh

Conference players have no trouble leaving the yard on 300 foot fences unless its 95 and humid. Yes those parks are short. They were made to rake in money from little leaguers and fast pitch teams. Slow pitch was just an added bonus. They don't have as much effect on those games as one would think. Those pitchers gotta serve it up all day with those zones. Big deal for a D tourney, yes. Conference, no.

And they use ZNs at these fields at times for conference events as well.
This^^^

Those fields are not designed for slow pitch.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
They use a dudley sy 44/375 ball at the BLD in Redding, Ca. Ball is crap and after 3 innings it like hitting rolled up socks.

J2009

Boom !!!!!
Yeah, that just has to be dumb. BLD works if you use a somewhat dead ball. Luckily the conference USSSA tourny they hold here in CO is on beautiful 320' fields. In July it takes a legit swing to get a ZN out of there.

Heck when we played in Colorado for world in 2011 E 320 was easy to hit the field there played like 300 here in ks bc the elevation. That was with classic plus badens at the time.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Heck when we played in Colorado for world in 2011 E 320 was easy to hit the field there played like 300 here in ks bc the elevation. That was with classic plus badens at the time.

Yeah, that must have been at Aurora sports park. Depending on the time of year, C+s can be pretty easy to hit out of there. If the wind is blowing in or its super hot it can be a challenge though.

Most of the USSSA tournies we play here nowadays are on 300' fields with good C+s. Hycors, Sharks, and Evils. Home runs are not hard to come by.