ASA "Tie goes to the runner!"

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Yay Blue!!

For those who insist that two things can't somehow happen at the same time, :rolleyes:

Real life time is limited to say 1/10 of a second and there are a LOT of things going on, right now, in this 1/10 of a second.

There are just as many things happening in the 1/100th of a second following. Time is limited and defined. Everything can't happen at a different time.

Scientifically it can.....but you are right about human perception.....

I love the fact that an electron of an atom can be at two different places at the same time.

Joel

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Scientifically it can.....but you are right about human perception.....

I love the fact that an electron of an atom can be at two different places at the same time.

Joel

*knock* *knock* *knock* Sheldon?

LCumbie

Maybe it's new physics like the new math - it sucks.
Unless you are saying that NOTHING in the entire universe is happening at the same infinitely precise time, which would be stupid since two moving objects have to be in a particular place at the same time, then there are ties at the scientific level.
If you change the accuracy range to match the shutter speed of the human eyeball then they happen all the time.
The tie goes to the runner.

ureout

The Veteran
lol... well you will have to show me in YOUR rule book where it states that I've only read if the runner beats the throw he's safe if he doesn't he is out ... also your post does not even come close to qualifying as a "TIE" since this original question was from 2013.. sooooo I'd say you are late on your answer and therefore... OUT

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
2004 & 2019 rules both note the runner/base must be touched before/prior to the runner contacting the base

Rule in 1936 book

RULE 27 - WHEN BASE RUNNERS ARE OUT
The base runner is out-
Sec 3 .If, after a fair hit ball, he is touched with the ball in the hand of a fielder before he shall have touched first base.

Sec 9 of the same rule addresses all base runners in the same manner as that of the batter-runner (which was a term not used at that time)

tonys1

One ump told me last year: "if you are running to avoid a train and it's a tie, the train still runs over you, so it's an out" :D

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
I am not sure which is worser...This here or the "whats the best bat" postings. Either way this is pretty ridiculous..

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
If you watch MLB frame by frame replays on challenges, almost never do both happen at the exact time. There are some that are close, but most aren't even that close at that rate. Your ability to differentiate between when the two events happening may suck, but they almost never happen at the same time. I can't remember if I've ever seen an exact same time replay.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If you watch MLB frame by frame replays on challenges, almost never do both happen at the exact time. There are some that are close, but most aren't even that close at that rate. Your ability to differentiate between when the two events happening may suck, but they almost never happen at the same time. I can't remember if I've ever seen an exact same time replay.

Doesn't make any difference what is "real", but what your eyes tell your brain.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
My point was more that the chance it is actually a tie is so very small, 99.9% of the time one happened before the other

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
My point was more that the chance it is actually a tie is so very small, 99.9% of the time one happened before the other

I understood your point, but it is irrelevant to the rule and the manner in which the umpire is directed to make his/her decision.