Any touching bases

jonsey

I know if you advance past a base and then need to return to the previous base as on a caught fly ball that you must re-touch the base that you passed. This happened the other day, runner on 2nd and the batter hits a line drive up the middle that almost took the runners head off, the runner jumped back off the bag and stumbled backward toward 1st base, when he regained his balance he ran just in front of 2nd base to 3rd and didn't re-touch 2nd, should he have had to re-touch 2nd befoe going to 3rd? and if so it would be an appeal play correct?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
There's no indication in the OP whether the ball was caught or hit the ground - It was simply said to be a line drive...???

%%%

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If you were going to have a play it would be an appeal play. But I wouldn't have anything on this. What physical direction the runner starts moving when they leave the base only matters to me if the defense is attempting a tag.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If you were going to have a play it would be an appeal play. But I wouldn't have anything on this. What physical direction the runner starts moving when they leave the base only matters to me if the defense is attempting a tag.

Not true. This isn't an out of basepath issue.

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
You arent going to find a rule that specifically covers the play posted, but there is a rule about a runner retreating from a base to which they were forced, if they do the force is reinstated. That rule would indicate a runner who retreats from a base must retouch that base prior to advancing. I agree with Irish, a runner cannot retreat toward 1st base and then advance directly to 3rd without retouching 2nd on the way without being liable to be put out on appeal.

sjury

The Old Man
I'd like to see the rule as well. The runner has touched second already, and is not retreating to first base.

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
The ruie about the force being reinstated does not require the runner to retreat all the way to the previous base, it simply says if the runner retreats from a base to which they were forced the force is reinstated. The runner could touch the base and take one step back and the force is now back in play.

The rules also require a runner to run the bases in correct order, both forward and in reverse when required for tag up purposes. You are never going to find every possible situation on the field covered exactly in the rule book. As already stated I completely agree with Irish, if the runner moves back away from a base they have already reached, they must retouch that base as they advance.

If you feel the runner does not need to retouch 2nd please cite the rule saying a runner can touch a base, back away from it and then proceed directly to the next base without retouching.

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
USA section 5-5 covers touching bases in a legal order to score a run. Section 8-3 also covers touching bases in legal order, 8-3-A covers touching them in reverse order when a runner must return to a base. 8-7-G covers the appeal of a missed base by a runner either forward or backward and 8-7-C covers the force being reinstated when a runner retreats from a base to which they were forced.

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
While not the same play, it is a similar situation. Video of MLB game of runner that touched 2nd, barely took a half step toward 3rd and then retreated directly back to 1st to tag up. Was called out on appeal for not retouching 2nd on the way back to 1st.

Joker

None of those cover this situation and in that video the ball is caught. I think you are confusing a caught ball and this situation where the ball was not caught.

Joker

8-3a covers someone returning to a base. Does not apply to this situation

8-7c has to do with force plays and tagging a player who has reached the next base then retreats. Does not apply to this situation

8-7g is the same as 8-3a. Does not apply to this situation

jonsey

USA section 5-5 covers touching bases in a legal order to score a run. Section 8-3 also covers touching bases in legal order, 8-3-A covers touching them in reverse order when a runner must return to a base. 8-7-G covers the appeal of a missed base by a runner either forward or backward and 8-7-C covers the force being reinstated when a runner retreats from a base to which they were forced.

none of the above rules that you cited cover my scenario, what they do cite is a runner that is purposely retreating or advancing bases, this runner jumped back so he wouldn't get hit by a batted ball

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
None of those cover this situation and in that video the ball is caught. I think you are confusing a caught ball and this situation where the ball was not caught.

8-3a covers someone returning to a base. Does not apply to this situation

8-7c has to do with force plays and tagging a player who has reached the next base then retreats. Does not apply to this situation

8-7g is the same as 8-3a. Does not apply to this situation

Irrelevant. The point is that a runner must retouch any base in order when advancing or retreating and it doesn't make a difference whether there was any intention involved at any point.

Joker

I am claiming that you haven't cited a rule to prove you are correct. Please cite a rule to back up your claim since you can't prove a negative

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
I have cited the rule saying a runner must touch bases in legal order both forward and backward. You keep want us to cite a rule, please cite a rule saying your version is correct. No, the video I posted is not the exact same situation as it was a caught fly ball, but why do you think the rule would be any different if a runner were advancing vs retreating? The rule requires a runner to touch all bases in legal order, if they step back from a base toward the previous base they must retouch when advancing just as they must if they are retreating to tag up.

Joker

Because the ball was not caught in this situation. Do you not understand how they are different?

Assuming he touched 1st on the way to 2nd, he has touched the bases in legal order. He has already established possession of 2nd base. He is not running the bases backwards to deceive the defense or to make a travesty of the game.

The rules don't prohibit it so there is no rule to cite.

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Because the ball was not caught in this situation. Do you not understand how they are different?

Assuming he touched 1st on the way to 2nd, he has touched the bases in legal order. He has already established possession of 2nd base. He is not running the bases backwards to deceive the defense or to make a mockery of the game.

The rules don't prohibit it so there is no rule to cite.

The rules also don't say the bases must be touched in order to score a run, so when an opponent runs1st, to 3rd, to 2nd then home, you will not have a problem scoring that run, right?

BTW, there is no such rule concerning making a "mockery" of the game

sjury

The Old Man
Actually the rules permit it,
Rule 8
Section 8. RUNNER IS NOT OUT
B. When a runner does not run in a direct line to a base, provided the fielder in the direct line does not have the ball in their possession.

The runner didn't touch first base, if they did, for some unknown reason, then they would need to retouch second. There is no reason they need to retouch second.