ASA Umpire interference 12u ASA fastpitch

2-2 count on the batter, bases empty, 1 out. Batter checks her swing at the pitch and catcher drops the ball. Blue calls ball as catcher makes the tag. On appeal B.U. Says she swung. Offensive coach says PU's ball call kept her runner from running and she should not be out. What is the correct call? What rule applies to this situation? Thanks

Crabby Bob

Addicted to Softballfans
2-2 count on the batter, bases empty, 1 out. Batter checks her swing at the pitch and catcher drops the ball. Blue calls ball as catcher makes the tag. On appeal B.U. Says she swung. Offensive coach says PU's ball call kept her runner from running and she should not be out. What is the correct call? What rule applies to this situation? Thanks

Out. 8.2.A

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
I can't find the appropriate ASA rule, but I doubt it's different than this baseball rule...

9.02 (c) The manager or the catcher may request the plate umpire to ask his partner for help on a half swing when the plate umpire calls the pitch a ball, but not when the pitch is called a strike. The manager may not complain that the umpire made an improper call, but only that he did not ask his partner for help. Field umpires must be alerted to the request from the plate umpire and quickly respond. Managers may not protest the call of a ball or strike on the pretense they are asking for information about a half swing. Appeals on a half swing may be made only on the call of ball and when asked to appeal, the home plate umpire must refer to a base umpire for his judgment on the half swing. Should the base umpire call the pitch a strike, the strike call shall prevail. Baserunners must be alert to the possibility that the base umpire on appeal from the plate umpire may reverse the call of a ball to the call of a strike, in which event the runner is in jeopardy of being out by the catcher's throw. Also, a catcher must be alert in a base stealing situation if a ball call is reversed to a strike by the base umpire upon appeal from the plate umpire. The ball is in play on appeal on a half swing. On a half swing, if the manager comes out to argue with first or third base umpire and if after being warned he persists in arguing, he can be ejected as he is now arguing over a called ball or strike.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Offensive coach says PU's ball call kept her runner from running and she should not be out.

It could be equally argued that PU's ball call kept the defense from throwing the ball to first base if the batter had run.

Wouldn't an easy out be the most likely outcome if the catcher picked up the ball while the batter was only a couple of steps from home plate? Then the defensive coach could argue that the ball call kept his catcher from making the throw.

MaverickAH

A. This is not umpire interference.

B. This is not an appeal.

C. Bad umpire mechanics all the way around.

Proper mechanics dictate that in the instance of a questionable check swing, the PU should make no call & immediately point to the BU for clarification. The BU should then give the safe or strike sign to indicate whether the batter swung or not.

By making a call of, "Ball!", the PU has indicated that he did not think that the batter swung. That should have been the end of the story. Sure, the defense has the right to question his judgment but it is not an appeal. All they can do is request that he ask his partner for help. At this point, the PU can entertain their request or not. If the PU chooses to consult with the BU, it should be a private conversation. Personally, I feel that the PU should have shut it down immediately & the ball call should've stood.

AT NO POINT SHOULD THE BU HAVE OFFERED THEIR OPINION VOLUNTARILY! (I can't possibly stress this enough!)

The P.U. should have made the call and not allowed an appeal or should have immediately pointed to the B.U. without a request, is that correct?

Now that the P.U. has allowed the request from the defense the proper resolution is batter out since she was tagged with the ball, correct? Both batter runner and defense were equally "delayed"? by the ball call and request?

So if there is any question of a possible appeal batter runner should run, defense should tag/throw?

Thanks again.

MaverickAH

What I am saying is that if the PU was unsure as to whether the batter swung or not, he should not have made any call at all & immediately pointed to the BU for clarification on the swing. A quick signal from the BU would've indicated swing or no swing. The PU should then make his call (ball or strike). The whole process would've taken no more than 2 seconds & prevented the type of conundrum created in such a situation as this.

I don't know how you're determining that both the offense & defense were equally delayed. When does hearing a call of, "Ball", ever require a batter to run or avoid a tag? As a batter, if you hear a call of "Ball", what question is there? The call itself says that you didn't swing. There is only a question if you hear no call at all! This situation is irreparably affected by that immediate call. Right or wrong, the PU should've shut it down right then & there & his call of "Ball" should have stood.

sjury

The Old Man
Saw this the other day in the Brewers game. The batter attempted to check his swing, Lucroy dropped the ball, instantly picked it up and tagged the runner. PU called a ball, Lucroy pointed, PU pointed, BU called a strike, batter out. The batter walked off the field, no arguement, nothing. When in doubt, run it out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
What I am saying is that if the PU was unsure as to whether the batter swung or not, he should not have made any call at all & immediately pointed to the BU for clarification on the swing. A quick signal from the BU would've indicated swing or no swing. The PU should then make his call (ball or strike). The whole process would've taken no more than 2 seconds & prevented the type of conundrum created in such a situation as this.

And if the BU didn't see the swing? What does the PU do then? What if the BU isn't on the line and really doesn't have a good look?

I've never understood the problem with swings. 99% of the time the bat and the hands move through the PU's line of vision. I've never really had a hard time on swing/no swing as the PU in 48 years, baseball or softball. I think people make more out of is than it really is. And because some umpires know that and have the call, the rules have been changed in some sanctioning bodies to force the umpire to ask for help.