Using Nets in games???

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Ive yet to see a middle war from s**t talk. Ive only seen it from 5 or 6 right back at the pitcher in a row. Then our team starts doing it too.

You should play more then. JJ makes a good point.

The reality is that bat and ball technology have made this game ridiculously easy to hit a ball hard enough to injure someone....no matter how good or not-so-good a player might be. They are the real problem and addressing it any other way is merely masking the problem and not doing anything to fix it. The problem is that the not-so-good guys are the majority and taking the 12" sweetspot away will kill their ego and drive many away. Money drives this train for sure....

MahdMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like you're playing at BLD. That's the only place I know of here that middle is a DBO. It's just for safety purposes and you should be fine backing up other positions. Several times I've been out there, there was no net but box rule was in effect.

Was pitching @ BLD when middle was "closed" I got drilled with a linedrive to the top of my foot which almost broke it.

According to the ump, it bounced right before the rubber and hit me on the bounce? Not sure how thats possible but it was not a DBO and the play went on. Go figure my dumb luck...

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
What are peoples thoughts on switching to pitch to your own team. You could still play 10 fielders though. Do away with the screen, would stop people hitting at the pitcher and would more than likely do away with shaved bats because you wouldn't wanna pitch to your own team-mate who is swinging glass.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
What are peoples thoughts on switching to pitch to your own team. You could still play 10 fielders though. Do away with the screen, would stop people hitting at the pitcher and would more than likely do away with shaved bats because you wouldn't wanna pitch to your own team-mate who is swinging glass.

More dangerous IMO. Middle shots will still happen on occasion and the guy will be less likely to be prepared for it from his own teammate.

I know there are 2 specific times when I hit middle accidentally and it is usually directly at the pitcher.....going to RC and hands get through too soon and trying to hit a HR on a pitch out over the plate....get on top of it a tad and it's a line drive right at the P.

Again, a mask-solution to the real problem....

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise

to add to what ily said, what about weak dribblers up the middle, if your pitching to your own team you are not gonna make that play. Then on cut-offs and such your guy would just stand there and be in the way.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
More dangerous IMO. Middle shots will still happen on occasion and the guy will be less likely to be prepared for it from his own teammate.

I know there are 2 specific times when I hit middle accidentally and it is usually directly at the pitcher.....going to RC and hands get through too soon and trying to hit a HR on a pitch out over the plate....get on top of it a tad and it's a line drive right at the P.

Again, a mask-solution to the real problem....
good points.
to add to what ily said, what about weak dribblers up the middle, if your pitching to your own team you are not gonna make that play. Then on cut-offs and such your guy would just stand there and be in the way.
true. I'm playing in a tourney this weekend (weather permitting) that is gonna be like this. I will let you know if there are any rules as to what the pitcher has to do after the ball is hit.

dubes23113

Addicted to Softballfans
I will repeat what I have said since the first time I heard of this absurdity......it is the dumbest thing I ever heard of!!!

It does absolutely nothing to clean the game up, and as a matter of opinion, I'd say it does the exact opposite. Now there is no fear to swing a shaved bat as there are no reprocussions.

I can't wait until someone runs into that thing!!! I hope they get injured and are able to sue the LD. I can see several situations where a throw coming in from the OF is high and the P or 1B runs into it. Also, what about a slow roller that the 3B has to come in on, now he has to throw over an obstacle. Maybe he'll hit it and it'll riccochet into the P's unprotected face. But I can only dream....

Additionally it basically forces the pitcher to throw from one part of the mound and it does nothing to help pitchers learn to ready themselves and field their position. You now can put one of your worst guys on the mound so long as he doesn't walk every other batter.

Games become batting practice with fielding (attempts). Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!

spoken like a true outfielder and by the looks of your avy a thick headed yankee fan who cant see outside the box..
we played in a banned bat league couple years ago and if that net wasnt there some people would be in rough shape if not seriously hurt....LD is only lookin out for themelves and well if ya dont like dont play in a league... i mean heaven forbid you worry about someone else other than yourself IJS

superpimp12

First Batch Illuminati
I think it's a great idea! People who swing middle only do it cause they can't hit bombs! Same thing for those douche bags that hit those "Judy" hits... Be a man and hit the damn ball hard and quit crying! IJS..

colonelsanders

Star Player
The only problem I would have with this playing LC, is trying to gun someone down at home. I have to agree with dubes that it becomes batting practice with fielding attempts.

WrningTrck21

Star Player
I played in one leaue like this but it was a beer league and basically an outlaw league, used the best ball and whatever bat you wanted. So with those rules the net was definitely needed to protect the pitcher.

NO_MAAM

Addicted to Softballfans
The Box Rule at BLD has is the best safety rule for pitchers.
The pitcher has to be ready to field but most good hitters avoid the middle.

If a league doesn't check bats they must have additional safety rules to keep the pitcher safe!!
Way too many idiots swinging shaved sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it's a great idea! Same thing for those douche bags that hit those "Judy" hits... Be a man and hit the damn ball hard and quit crying! IJS..

So you haven't been able to do the Judy swing have you. Keep working at it.. One day you will learn how to do it and you will change your tune about it. Who's crying about the Judy swing?? The only people that cry about the Judy swing are those that can't Judy swing.

I have an idea.. How about you quit your crying and be a man and respect the man for having enough bat control to place the ball where he wants to place it. Be a man and respect the amount of practice that goes into learning that swing.

colonelsanders

Star Player
I play in 2 leagues around here. One league has the the box rule and the other league supplies SRV4s at every game to ensure no mods have been made. If the LD is worried about safety, there are other ways to go other than a bp net...

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
You can still pitch to your own team, and allow the fielding team 10 players. they can have a 5th center infielder who stands between the pitching rubber and 2nd base, etc. That person will play anything the pitcher normally plays.

Problem is, you'd still get guys who are meatheads, and would line at their own pitcher if they have too...........

-Six-

Weiner
You can still pitch to your own team, and allow the fielding team 10 players. they can have a 5th center infielder who stands between the pitching rubber and 2nd base, etc. That person will play anything the pitcher normally plays.

Problem is, you'd still get guys who are meatheads, and would line at their own pitcher if they have too...........

i would much rather have this then the net. But im totally fine and would rather it have neither too.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I play in 4 senior leagues (50+, 55+, 60+) and 55+ pick-up. We use a screen for BP but not for games. It's the choice of the pitchers ... they want to field their positions. I play OF, but built them a screen because they were getting hit in BP ... seldom in games.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
spoken like a true outfielder and by the looks of your avy a thick headed yankee fan who cant see outside the box..
we played in a banned bat league couple years ago and if that net wasnt there some people would be in rough shape if not seriously hurt....LD is only lookin out for themelves and well if ya dont like dont play in a league... i mean heaven forbid you worry about someone else other than yourself IJS

LOL...I pitch but I literally do have a thick head so you were half right....2 thirds if I give you the Yankees fan portion which was a given based on my avy. So we'll call it .500 plus a walk. Hopefully your batting average is better.

Banned Bat League...LMFAO. THEY ARE THE PROBLEM...not a lack of a net you douche. If you want to swing those, get a net and a small field and have someone pitch BP or HR derby to you so you can feel massive. It is clear that balls batted over 98 mph are dangerous for fielders (esp pitchers) and should not really be part of the game....or at least not the norm. This was not a problem before the Titanium followed by the Ultra...and what we now have as the norm. The batters aren't that good....the technology is. Fix the REAL problem and take your pathetically small ego and go **** yourself.

-Six-

Weiner
ha thats kind of funny. I sometimes have to pitch. Im decent at it from all the BP. But ive never been hit in a game. I get hit nearly every bp practice. I make everyone pitch now lol

S20

DeMarini Rep
LOL...I pitch but I literally do have a thick head so you were half right....2 thirds if I give you the Yankees fan portion which was a given based on my avy. So we'll call it .500 plus a walk. Hopefully your batting average is better.

Banned Bat League...LMFAO. THEY ARE THE PROBLEM...not a lack of a net you douche. If you want to swing those, get a net and a small field and have someone pitch BP or HR derby to you so you can feel massive. It is clear that balls batted over 98 mph are dangerous for fielders (esp pitchers) and should not really be part of the game....or at least not the norm. This was not a problem before the Titanium followed by the Ultra...and what we now have as the norm. The batters aren't that good....the technology is. Fix the REAL problem and take your pathetically small ego and go **** yourself.

HA!!! That's good ish, right there.

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
A strange thing about the league I'm going to be playing in is that they use a BP net in front of the pitcher during games. I don't like this rule. I want to be able to field the ball. The rule is if it hits the net it is a dead ball. Also it is in the way if I need to cover first or backup third. And what about throws to the plate? That net is so inconvenient! What do you guys think?

Knock the net over after the ball is by you. Can't they just build a nuclear bunker at 50ft you can jump in and pull the mortar door down on?

jamelie22

Star Player
A strange thing about the league I'm going to be playing in is that they use a BP net in front of the pitcher during games. I don't like this rule. I want to be able to field the ball. The rule is if it hits the net it is a dead ball. Also it is in the way if I need to cover first or backup third. And what about throws to the plate? That net is so inconvenient! What do you guys think?

Weak. Field your position or play at a level you can. IMHO.

DegoGiantsFan48

Addicted to Softballfans

Only place I've seen this is in senior league.... I wouldn't be completely against it though

penguinice7

Nets are an interesting solution....I like them only because you have too many idiots that get one bat hit up the middle (by accidents) and they start shouting "middle's open!" I don't know about the rest of you but I don't think anyone is trying to hit middle on purpose, so if someone does...just get over it and keep playing. I do think leagues need to start doing a better job of portecting pitchers by either mandating gear like masks or policing guys who get their jollies off going blowing up a pitcher. I often wonder how one of those guys would feel if they acctually nailed someone.

Hors3pills

The Rookie
Does anyone remember in the MLB when Hiroki Kuroda from the Dodgers got a line drive to the noggin and messed him up so bad that he couldn't pitch for the rest of the season because he would hesitate and flinch every time he pitched from then on?